January declutter challenge-we did it- we got rid of 9966 items!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 191 Old 01-17-2006, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW- on Jan 31st/Feb 1st we should come back and give our totals even if you do not reach the 500. IMHO, if you have greater than 1 item you did good by getting it out of your house. As you leave your total, add to the pp's so we can have a running total what we got out of our homes. Does that make sense?

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#122 of 191 Old 01-17-2006, 11:55 PM

Ilovelife - Definetly not a failure. You are doing a great job. You have gotten rid of soooo many items already. You keep trucking!

Amy- Definetly count little Einstein!

And I love your idea. Would love to read a grand total...however, I will need a calculator as I am number-inpaired!
#123 of 191 Old 01-18-2006, 12:21 AM

87 more items. i'm up to 217. sold some stuff on ebay and the tp. this thread was a HUGE motivator for me to list and sell. my home is looking better and my paypal account ain't too shabby.
#124 of 191 Old 01-18-2006, 01:59 PM

Okay- so we really decluttered during our move. I had thrown things for a garage sale in plastic bags as we were packing. I put them all neatly in big moving boxes once we moved in and counted them, plus added some stuff that we sorted through as we unpacked. We also tossed stuff and took stuff to the transfer station. Total items 1007! My biggest problem is keeping things that have outlived their usefulness or are broken thinking I will need them in the future. Many of these things I don’t even know how to fix! We also seem to have been a repository for a lot of stuff that other people wanted to get rid of. I don’t like to buy things new, and people who know this often bring me stuff they want to get rid of.

Here is some of what we got rid of:
Fertilizers, paints, cleaners, insecticides, etc. left by the previous owners of our house (took them to the hazardous waste disposal). Note- most of these were so old they had to have been left by the owners who lived there before that! Talk about clutter!
Cables, cords, remotes to electronics we don’t own
Videos, dvds, and cds we don’t like or use
Infant toys and electronic gadgety type toys
Sheets for double and queen beds (we have king and twin)
Crib sheets, blankets, and the crib (which we never used)
Bookshelves, an overstuffed chair, a lamp, a dvd storage tower
Expired vitamins and medicines/ first aid supplies
Trial sizes of chemical type of shampoos and soaps that we will never use
Expired food from our emergency kit
Knick-knacks of all sorts
Several sets of curtains and drapes and the rods that go with them
Kids clothes outgrown, adult clothes we will never wear again (shoes too)
Duplicate photos we never gave away
Old receipts, bills, and three years of tax returns!
Camping and sports equipment that we won’t use or is broken or worn out
Returned three items to the store that were new that we won’t use
Microwave and toaster oven that don’t work
Highchair
Clocks, cameras, and telephones that don’t work or we won’t use
Assorted plastic and glass containers from food products that I have been reusing for a long time (recycled)
Lids and containers without matches
Some of the moving boxes (don’t laugh- I would ordinarily keep all of them- broken down in a neat little stack)

It is liberating to get rid of all this stuff. At first when I was packing I felt a little bit exposed, or something, by getting rid of so much stuff. Now, though, I feel really blessed because we still have so much and only stuff that is beautiful, sentimental, or useful.
#125 of 191 Old 01-18-2006, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Erika- : wow, you have taken this to a place I never thought possible. I better get dh in the garage and going thru all that stuff like cans and jars of whatever etc.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#126 of 191 Old 01-18-2006, 03:46 PM

Thanks for the support, ladies. I'm still trucking....

And I'd DEFINITELY count Einstein!
#127 of 191 Old 01-18-2006, 05:54 PM

My husband got inspired by my decluttering and went out to the shed last night. He worked for hours. When I took out the trash this morning, there was hardly any room in the can. He filled it up! Very liberating to get this junk out of here. I am up to 160-didn't count DH's work.
#128 of 191 Old 01-18-2006, 06:02 PM

It really helps to de-clutter when you have to lay your hands on everything you own at least twice (once to pack and once to unpack). We also had a bit of an advantage because we finally moved into a house that we bought- after living in rentals for 11 years. We had tons of good, useable stuff that I didn't ever want to get rid of in case we moved someplace we would need it. You know- we moved into a place without closet space, so we got a bunch of dressers, then the next place didn't have any overhead lighting and we bought lamps, then the next place didn't have any window coverings and we bought drapes... etc. This is our 7th move in 11 years and each time we collected stuff I didn't want to throw out in case we needed it for the next place. Now that we have our own home I know we won't need any of it- and that helps me purge!
#129 of 191 Old 01-18-2006, 06:57 PM

I reached the goal! My last total was 377. I have since trashed/recycled 113 items, sent 19 items to my mom, and boxed up 22 books to donate to the library. New total: 531!

I got in a bit of a groove yesterday. When I have run across some groups of stuff- like back issues of cooking magazines- that seem excessive, I have been telling myself to keep half. I did this with some cooking magazines in the garage yesterday, then said to heck with it and put them all in recycling. I still have about a year's worth in the kitchen and I just decided I don't want ever want to spend scarce time reading the rest. Same thing with books last night- I went through the living room shelves and was able to get rid of a bunch of books that I have "been meaning to read" (some for 10+ years!) and boxed them up for the library book sale. Then, I was able to pick up a current book I WANT to read and not feel guilty for not catching up on my "to read" list.

Basically, it seems like I get paralyzed by my "to do" list. I feel like I need to finish the oldest craft project, or read the book I have had longest, first. So I end up with a big bunch of this stuff and I can't get motivated to get it done because my interests have changed. So I have decided to give myself a fresh start on a lot of these things.

Another thing that has really helped is that we have to put almost all of our stuff in storage April 1 while we remodel, so if it's one of those things that "might be useful someday" I have been able to get rid of it if "someday" won't come in the next couple of months.

I need to keep going in the garage, but I'm taking a break today to do some "electronic decluttering"- I have 600 old emails in my inbox (groan).
#130 of 191 Old 01-18-2006, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

I did my electronic decluttering on Xmas day- backd up pics, old docs etc and then got them off in documents.

So does that count as any items??

#131 of 191 Old 01-18-2006, 07:52 PM

Good for you- I am hopelessly behind on organizing my digital photos and documents. Maybe we should also have an electronic declutter challenge for February!
#132 of 191 Old 01-18-2006, 11:40 PM

Can you welcome a latecomer?

No time to read through all the posts right now, but I wanted to subscribe and I will read the thread over the next few days. My goal will be 200 items, since I just found this and it's January 18 (almost 19) already.

200 won't even be noticeable in this house. Wish me luck!
#133 of 191 Old 01-19-2006, 12:03 AM

Only two items today but reading this thread has inspired me. I'm off to do some more decluttering instead of emailing.

BTW, I'd love to do a February Electronic Decluttering. I need to get rid of some of the 450 pictures I took last month. :
#134 of 191 Old 01-19-2006, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

OK- new grand total 381. I think I can find 120 items in my house. I keep finding other things.

Also- returning things to its rightful owner counts to and I have been doing that as well!

One thing I have been doing is if I sell something on the TP or ebay etc I also email to see if the buyer wants whatever leftover thing I have included in the package- like a I sold 2 diapers and icl some cloth wipes with them. Or a breastfeeding bracelet etc.

#135 of 191 Old 01-19-2006, 05:20 PM

Sorry I haven't checked in lately. I've been busy with other matters. My new total is 835. Even with things as busy as they are, I am still hoping to hit 1,000 before Feb 1st rolls around. Still so much uneeded stuff in this house!

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#136 of 191 Old 01-19-2006, 10:25 PM

I was at 312. I finally had people pick up their freecycle which brings me up to about 330. I also did my first marriage wedding pictures but have not thrown them out yet. I can't do it! Someone remind me that the pictures, no matter how beautiful, are not worth keeping! I pulled out about a dozen of me in my wedding dress and of me and my sisters and family and such but I have literally hundreds of other pictures! It would definetly bring me up way past 500 but I can't do it! Ugh!
#137 of 191 Old 01-19-2006, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace
I also did my first marriage wedding pictures but have not thrown them out yet. I can't do it! Someone remind me that the pictures, no matter how beautiful, are not worth keeping! Ugh!
OK- lets make it easier. Are these pictures on display in your house since they are in your word- "Beautiful"? Does your family find them beautiful, esp dh? Are they also useful? Obvious this was the only part of that former marriage that was a happy occasion so keep one since it was part of your life and leave it at that. kwim? Does this help any?

#138 of 191 Old 01-20-2006, 03:33 PM

Well I got another 20 items out this morning. Up to 175. Still haven't gotten to that upstairs closet....
#139 of 191 Old 01-20-2006, 10:58 PM

Ooooh, I'm doing good!

207 items donated to the thrift store. Dishes and utensils we don't use, toys, etc.

I think I'm up to 602.

#140 of 191 Old 01-21-2006, 01:17 AM

i'm at 357. i've lost count a gazillion times and always round down so it's acutally higher.

in additon, i've purged the kids' closets and toys and have several containers of items to sell at our local consignment sales. there are prolly 200+ items there but i can't count those yet. woo-hoo!
#141 of 191 Old 01-21-2006, 12:46 PM

OK city taxes are filed and paid. Which means that I've filed/shredded/tossed a year's worth of mail. DH and I are both really bad about opening the mail, we pull out what has to be paid and let everything else pile up until we have "time" to deal with it. Plus we pretty much keep all receipts until tax season. All of this just piles up on the desk and gets thrown into a box when someone is coming over. This is definately our dirty little clutter secret. So how much credit for a year's worth of mail? I'm going to say 10 items based on the 1 item/box of paper. So...
Gone
10 - boxes of paper
1 - broken teapot (this one really breaks my heart because it was thrown by my stepmother but she's still working so I can always get another with the appropriate amount of chagrin. Besides I've tried fixing it a dozen times and can't get it to hold.)

Pending
1 - knick knack in donation box
1 - bag of milk lids, boxes, tp tubes to children's museum
#142 of 191 Old 01-21-2006, 05:45 PM

Ok i met the 500 mark friday, i cleaned out my file box and made room for my new fax info we filled, and got rid of tons of old paper work! I also went through the pantry and got that all nice and organized. I am up to 513 items and doing the livingroom today!
#143 of 191 Old 01-22-2006, 03:32 PM

Well, I've taken this week to do a bunch of paperwork, so I haven't been decluttering as much!

Last total was 249
5 DVD dontated to the library
20 misc. kitchen food items to either donate, or give to my MIL

Total 274

I plan to hit 300 by the end of today! I still have one more food cabinet to go thru, and I need to hit the toys and kids clothes one more time this month! This has been so much fun!
#144 of 191 Old 01-22-2006, 04:08 PM

Up to 211! Still making some progress.... Still haven't gotten to that upstairs closet
#145 of 191 Old 01-22-2006, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Well had dh go thru his clothes and did not add much. He reminded me I had him do this during last summer's challenge

So I am at 387. I still have not hit the kitchen cabinets and pantry and the other side of the playroom. I have a feeling that will put me over the top.

I have 2 dvds pending on the tp so I will wait to add them.

Also dh wants to put a bunch of drill bits on ebay so that should count after the fact.

#146 of 191 Old 01-22-2006, 06:51 PM

I did not officially join... but I have been keeping up with the thread and am up to 350

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#147 of 191 Old 01-22-2006, 07:27 PM

Ok, dh & I just tackled the basement storage shelves & got rid of 193 items!! They are either in the trash or in the car for me to drop off tomorrow at the donation center. That brings my total to 404!! I just might make it after all.
#148 of 191 Old 01-22-2006, 07:58 PM

Ok i think it's office that i'm avoiding the livingroom b/c i keep going around it! LOL me and ds went through his room today, it was fun having him help me out and picking through what toys he's going to let me give to another kid that might need them more then him. i also when through his draws he has more clothes then any boy should! LOL But think i'm going to have to hang on to thoes till rumage time, i just don't have the time to post them on ebay or tp to much to do. So i'm up to 548 now and when i get back into it i plan to start on the hall way and the bathroom.
#149 of 191 Old 01-23-2006, 10:27 AM

I didn't get as far this weekend as I had hoped. But, I did get dd into the act by going through the basket of "junk" toys. (McD's toys, birthday party favors, library & dentist prizes) I know I could have gotten rid of more if she weren't there, but I'd like her to learn to not be so attached to things. She also went through her school papers to pick out the really special ones to keep. I was really proud of her.

So, here is where I stand:

192 in the trash or recycling
148 donated (mostly clothes)

Total 340!!

I was hoping for more, but I think I'll still make the 500 mark. I have some things on freecycle and some spots I haven't hit yet.
#150 of 191 Old 01-23-2006, 11:08 PM

I didn't have time to count, but I removed thousands of items from my house this past weekend. Ninety-two pounds of garbage (that was above & beyond my normal garbage pickup) and two huge bins of paper recycling to the dump. Then I packed zillions of items belonging to my X-dh, loaded them up into the car, drove to his house and dumped it off (carefully, and covered it in case it snowed). It took four trips! (He's been dragging his feet just a bit on moving all his packrat stuff out, since it's going to make his nice clean rental house be all full of cr**, but I'm sick of looking at it.)

Unfortunately it doesn't really look like I even made a dent in the huge amounts of packrat collection but I was able to get most of it out of our main living areas anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page