Organizing Dress-Up Clothes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-07-2006, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dd's birthday is in a couple of weeks and she is getting dress-up clothes and something to put it all in. Soooooo...what is the best way to keep it simple, inexpensive, and clutter-free? I need to buy some sort of toy box or something but need some ideas.

TIA
#2 of 11 Old 01-07-2006, 10:46 PM

We use a plain, wooden toy box and have everyone's dress up clothes and puppets in there. We store it in the school room and it fits underneath one of the hanging shelves.
#3 of 11 Old 01-09-2006, 12:10 AM

I have DDs in a small suitcase. She can on;y krrp what fits inside in her room the rest is stored in the basement w/ other rotated toys. It's super easy to clean up, and fits right in the closet.
#4 of 11 Old 01-09-2006, 02:43 AM

I have a mini handpainted coat rack that we put different "outfits" and purses on. I only put on thing on each peg. The rest of the stuff is in a basket in the hall toy overflow closet. I rotate the outfits every few days unless my 3.5 yr old asks for something in particular.
#5 of 11 Old 01-09-2006, 06:01 PM

Dd isn't big enough for dressup yet.. but when I was a kid, I had a wicker basket in my bedroom that was BIG (to me). It was probably 20" tall, 30" wide, 20" deep, and had a lid like a toy box or picnic basket might. Because it was made of wicker, I could open and close it w/o worry of smashing hands or anything.

All of my dressups (mostly old homecoming dresses from my older cousins) fit in there. If it didn't fit, mom pulled out my least favorite and we made space. All the matching satin shoes, hats and purses, and some gloves went in as well. Didn't require me to be able to hang, fold, or put away anything other than generally scooping and shoveling it back into the basket.

Mom still has the basket, and I hope she lets me use it with dd.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#6 of 11 Old 01-09-2006, 09:44 PM

one year for Christmas my Aunt gave my girls a HUGE plastic bin filled with remnants from the fabric store. So I keep all the pieces in that and another bin with a lid for all the dresses.

If you don't use plastic I would use moving boxes and then maybe wrap them with some pretty paper. Or cover them with paper and then cut out pictures of clothes etc. That way they are stackable and closeable.
#7 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 12:52 AM

Until Christmas, we used a large gift bag and a jewlery box for rings, tiarras, necklaces etc that was thrown in the bag with the clothes. At Christmas, dd got dress up clothes in a cardboard trunk from one of the grands so now everything is in there. The downfall is that dd and ds pull out everything over the course of the day. The bonus is clean up is easy, just throw everything in to the trunk. We still use the jewlery box for her "jewels". It sits on top of the trunk lid.
#8 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We have two daughters. I posted this same question on one of my deals board, and took their advice. It worked great.

The cost was less than twenty bucks per girl. We bought unpainted shelves with pegs on them. We spray painted them in girly colors and then glued those glue-on jewels (also at Michael's) on the shelves with pegs. We also bought unpainted jewelry box, additional pegs shaped like butterflies, little wooden trays, and their initials. Everything was sprayed then decorated with jewels. The effect was very exciting.

To make it totally fun, I found a full length plastic mirror with white trim at Target for six dollars. I leaned that against the wall, and someday I may decorate it, too.

Have fun.
#9 of 11 Old 01-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Banned

I like the ideas that the pp's gave!

Another inexpensive idea would be a thrift store chest of drawers. I have seen them for really cheap and somewhat small too (so it won't take up a lot of space)...it will take a bit of work, but you could sand it down and paint or let your dc paint it in whatever colors they wish... you could use say, the top drawer for *accessories* and the others for the clothing...

...along the same lines, they make really sturdy cardboard "chests of drawers" that are a lot sturdier than a cardboard box and have drawers to keep things *somewhat* organized....that too, could be painted or wallpapered or pasted with pictures cut out of magazines etc.. and they come in different sizes to fit your needs...and they won't set you back a lot in the $$$ department...

Good luck, I love dress-up and can't wait until my dd is old enough!
#10 of 11 Old 01-14-2006, 02:19 AM

Our dress-up area in the kids' playroom, aka our den, consists of three parts:

1. Pegboard from the hardware store, on which we have hung hooks of various types. All the hats, belts, jewelry (in a wicker basket that has a hook), and coats go there. Dress-up shoes and boots are lined up underneath.

2. A full-length framed mirror (the inexpensive kind that goes on the back of doors) is screwed to the wall next to the pegboard, so the kids can admire themselves.

3. Sitting on the other side of the pegboard is an old wooden console that used to hold stereo equipment (got it at a garage sale for $5) -- it is our "dress-up chest." It's about 4 ft. high, maybe 21" wide, and has 4 deep shelves, each of which hold a plastic box filled with various clothing. On top is a basket (it's a wicker Easter basket, actually, that we just empty out every Easter to temporarily hold eggs, lol) that holds gloves, scarves, and smaller accessories that might otherwise get lost in the shuffle. On the sides of the console I put several of those stick-on hooks, and they hold purses and backpacks.

This was a very inexpensive, but effective system for holding a large number of dress-up clothes (ALL my kids play dress-up ALL the time, so we needed more than just a box) and my kids can clean it up quickly, with no fuss, all by themselves -- my favorite part of the whole deal, lol!

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#11 of 11 Old 01-25-2006, 03:01 PM

We tried the hooks, but mama was the one always putting things up. Now we have a set of four, plastic drawers from IKEA - $30. They are large and boxy and can hold three year's worth of dress-up. One drawer is everything that you wear on your head - hats, bunny ears, crowns, masks. Another is the fairy drawer - wings, wands, skirts. All other outfits and dresses are in another drawer. The last is for accessories - shoes, scarves, purses, etc. Drawers have pictures on them so dd and dh can clean up.
Have Fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page