Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bumping

#32 of 39 Old 01-22-2008, 04:22 AM

These are great ideas! I wish wish wish we could be TV-free. DH lives for TV I think. It drives me crazy! And my daughter's computer & our printer are in our bedroom because we can't figure out another place for it (DH won't allow it in the living room).
#33 of 39 Old 01-23-2008, 12:24 AM

What a great old thread! I'd recommend the book Shelter for the Spirit by Victoria Moran. I find myself grabbing this one off the shelf again and again. This is from the dust jacket:

Quote:
In Shelter for the Spirit, Victoria Moran brings readers back to what home is really supposed to be - a place that receives and nurtures us, welcomes us back each day, and invites visitors to return. Combining the concepts of mindfulness and simplicity with a sensitivity to the demands of modern life, Victoria Moran walks readers step-by-step through the elements that make a home - from how to make the most of your home's imperfections and turn household chores into labors of love to the best ways to experience the comforts unique to home. She also provides advice and information about choosing to work, educating your children, and giving birth at home.

Even more important, Victoria Moran shows readers in clean and accessible terms how they can transform their homes into places of sacredness and comfort. Shelter for the Spirit encourages readers to find reasons to celebrate and to make even dinners alone special. Also included are instructions for how to hold a house blessing and how to create your own personalized space for quiet reflection.

Both practical and inspirational, Shelter for the Spirit is a desperately needed book that will remind you of all the reasons you look forward to being at home. Filled with easily accomplished advice and suggestions, it is a book that can help you change your life in the most basic and, ultimately, important ways.
#34 of 39 Old 01-23-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
Interesting suggestion re: soft music and wind chimes. I know that would probably appeal to many folk as a way of creating an environment of serenity. I'm curious whether I'm alone on this, though, in that background music and wind chimes function as auditory clutter to me. For me its silence that creates an environment of serenity. The hum of the fridge, the sound of a bathroom fan left on, a radio nattering away in a bedroom, even the ultra-high-pitched buzz of flourescent tubes ... they don't drive me crazy in the course of a busy day, but I notice them when I'm actively trying to create some calm in my life.

I'm a musician, if that's relevant. Maybe it makes it harder for me to not actively attend to sound?

Miranda
You are not alone! Noise gets to me, too. I'm also a musician, though. However, I do need white noise to sleep - a fan, the heater kicking on, etc. just so I can help block out any other noises.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#35 of 39 Old 01-23-2008, 12:37 PM

Thanks for the bump. I'm waiting to hear from some other mamas!
#36 of 39 Old 01-23-2008, 06:03 PM

For me it is key to have a clean, well functioning home. I love when everything has its place and we are able to move through out our day with out being bothered by searching for items. I love being able to focus completely on my daughter because all of our routine cleaning is kept up daily. I love only having what we need. Clutter messes with my soul It bogs me down and those around me, so it is best for everybody when we have what we need and no more. Of course this is always an ongoing process, but even the process of getting there is so freeing. I am not sure what else makes me feel so good about our place. I love seeing the things that make me happy and I love being surrounded by a calming atmosphere. I really really want to have more plants, but we don't get much sun and I want more windchimes, they help to make me smile

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#37 of 39 Old 01-23-2008, 06:04 PM

I think just like anything else -- start in one spot and move out:
a corner that has a nice "feel" to it, maybe your kitchen window, etc.

For me serene is a flat, horizontal surface with nothing on it.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)
#38 of 39 Old 01-23-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerc View Post

For me serene is a flat, horizontal surface with nothing on it.
I love this!

Jessica, Single Mama to Lailah(4) and Christopher(2)
#39 of 39 Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 PM

i agree with the clear, flat space, and quiet, that works for me. a made bed, a swept floor, things in order with space to move, energy flowing round things. thriving plants. i like the taoist art principle of including open space, because that is where the eye can rest. i don't need everything to be like that, just some of it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page