Martial Arts Belts? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-10-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really proud of my belts from my martial arts training, but right now it doesn't look like it. They've been stuffed in a storage box for years and have turned into clutter. I don't want to put them in a shadow box but could use some inspiration as to what else I can do with them. Any ideas? Here are some things that ran through my mind as I typed this:

pillows (I'd obviously have to cut them up)

Yep ... that's all I could come up with off the top of my head. Anybody more creative than me have a better idea? I'm SO SICK of looking at this box!

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#2 of 9 Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 PM

I saw a martial arts belt holder in a catalog- you wrap the belts on it and hang it on the wall. I think it might have been Lillian Vernon?
#3 of 9 Old 01-10-2006, 10:50 PM

Could you spread them out in a grid on your wall. \\\\ woven with ////? Then you could use the grid to hold pictures of you practicing.

What about rolling them up and fitting them into a shadow box with 2-3" of each sticking out?

Give each it's own little shadow box and a tiny plaque with "recieved on date"?

I don't like the pillow idea because that'll be a pain to keep clean and you might end up being upset later on that you cut them.

Wouldn't it be great to just have some sort of trophy case where you could put each belt on the shelf in front of the prizes from that level?
#4 of 9 Old 01-10-2006, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
Could you spread them out in a grid on your wall. \\\\ woven with ////? Then you could use the grid to hold pictures of you practicing.
I like this idea ... not necessarily with practice pix (there aren't that many of those), but just as a bulletin-board-type thing in the office area. Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan
Wouldn't it be great to just have some sort of trophy case where you could put each belt on the shelf in front of the prizes from that level?
Nope ... one more thing to dust, and I'm NOT having that!

#5 of 9 Old 01-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Banned

Our dojo has a tradition of passing our belts onto other people who are moving up in the ranks.

It is a good way to recycle the belts and save people the expense of buying new belts.

You sort of feel a bit of the goodness of the people who have moved ahead of you left in the belt You aren't supposed to wash your belts because that will wash away your skills

Debra Baker
#6 of 9 Old 01-11-2006, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebraBaker
You aren't supposed to wash your belts because that will wash away your skills
No fear of that .... my skills were LONG since lost! I dream of the day when I earn my black belt. I moved away from the school I loved just 2 months shy of my 1st degree bb test and tried several places in my new location before giving up ... I just didn't feel comfortable with any of them. That was 5.5 years, a boyfriend, a husband, a baby and 4 moves ago. When dd is a little older and our lives are a little more settled, I hope to resume my training and I expect to start from scratch. So, the belts I have now are gentle reminders of what I accomplished and where I hope to go again.

#7 of 9 Old 01-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Banned

I'm testing in a month and I hope to make ikkyu but Sensei will likely move me up a half rank.

My daughter (fifthborn) is testing for her black belt in February and my other daughter (thirdborn) is testing for her third black belt in May. My secondborn is a third (Sandan) already but they got their karate gene from the X chromosome their father gave them

Debra Baker
#8 of 9 Old 01-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I don't think you are supposed to use the belts for ultilitarian purposes...i.e. hanging things, tying things together, etc.

My DH was in Aikido for a long time, and has a box of belts as well, and I remember him telling me that. For what it is worth.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#9 of 9 Old 01-15-2006, 01:52 AM

so much for the bullitin board idea then. I still think the grid would be pretty. Maybe with some sort of "work hard, do your best" motto framed and hung beneath and have it be whereever you usually practice? (like behind the tv ?)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page