And all this time I thought it was the kids! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-13-2006, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so embarrassed to admit that I was coming to really FEAR late April/early May, when I am expecting our 3rd child. It seemed to me that my children had been possessed, my husband was in a permanent bad mood, and my house was just too tiny to fit our growing family.

What a surprise when I hit that point in pregnancy when you begin to freak out about getting ready for the baby. I started out small with keeping the dishes clean and put away and doing smaller loads of laundry every day rather than spending all day doing laundry once a week. Then I de-toyed the living room and banished all the dolls and play food and wooden puzzles to the kids' room. Wow. At the end of the day, I actually felt like cooking dinner. Hubby came home to a clean-ish house and the smell of food cooking and his "funk" disappeared. I found this forum and began to lurk. More organizing/reorganizing, more trashing stuff, more giving away... nicer hubby, better mood for me, and my children started behaving better! Now I wonder if it was, all this time, ME that was the main culprit, or was it that the junk everywhere had us all in a bad mood??

I get on here and read, read, read every day for more encourgement and enlightenment. You can actually SEE the carpet in most every room... Every shelf is not filled to overflowing... Dresser drawers close all the way... Best of all, we are a happier family.

I'm here to stay. I love my new, cleaner house and my new, nicer family (and self!)!!

Darci

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012
#2 of 7 Old 01-13-2006, 05:10 PM

woo-hoo!!!!!!! it's a great feeling, isn't it? this is a very inspirational forum.
#3 of 7 Old 01-13-2006, 05:11 PM

YAY!!!! for you! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story. It's very uplifting.
#4 of 7 Old 01-13-2006, 10:36 PM

Yeah!

Happened to us too! This year has been amazing for us. Dh has been so pleasant. We started the decluttering/cleaning/organizing process after Christmas and it has just about improved everything!
#5 of 7 Old 01-14-2006, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkenagy
and my children started behaving better!
Interesting! I think they respond to my stress in keeping it all clean and also I am less tolerant of them. Also, I have noticed they play with things MORE when they have less to play with. It has got to be overwhelming for them as well. Every time I threaten to clean out their rooms (often I actually do it), they cry and complain. But they are always excited to come into their room when I am done and *every* single time have told me that they LOVE it!

My plan is one very large pile (i.e. a whole bedroom) and one smaller pile this weekend. (Also one complete drawer full of papers in need of shredding if I get the time.) And it all has to get loaded up in the car and donated. I already have 1/4 of a van "trunk" from the other night. Your post is inspirational and I will think of it as I am working on decluttering tomorrow.
#6 of 7 Old 01-14-2006, 03:35 AM

Congrats!! My 5yo has also started to behave better since I culled the toys. She actually picks up her room by herself b/c it's not so messy that she doesn't know wher to start.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#7 of 7 Old 01-14-2006, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies! I plan to keep this up for a long time... it's so much nicer around here. I mean, it's still a tiny rental with not a whole lot going for it, but it's mine (for now) and it should at least be comfortable (and comforting!).

I vow never to let my house get away from me like that again! It takes work, but it's amazing how good it makes you feel when you are looking around at the disappearing clutter!
Darci

Raising our babies: 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, and 2012

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page