Pictures from First Marriage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm going through major decluttering and my dd just found, in my living room, pictures from my first marriage. I can only assume that I had tossed them all into a box after the divorce and gave them to my parents who must have at some point gave me back the box. We did not have any children but the hard part is that he and I were "best friends" for 10 years prior to our marriage so I have tons of pictures that are of me growing up and such. And, we had a medievel wedding and I just ADORE the pictures. I've already figured I'm going to give that first wedding dress to dd for her dress up box (I designed it myself and current dh doesn't care) but what to do with all those pictures. I've tossed a few out already, mainly our engagement photos but what now?

What have you done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 12:47 AM

I would keep them. They are a part of your past and part of what made you who you are today.

My ex and I were never married, but had a child together when we were quite young. So I hear ya about looking at yourself growing up.

I've kept all of mine. I know ds likes to look thru them sometimes. I've also kept some of my ex-boyfriend pictures. (unfortunatly, my ex wasnt too keen on me keeping pics of ex's so I threw some out when we were together, I really regret it).

If your dh is fine with it, and you would like to keep them, then I say keep them!
#3 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 01:50 AM

I never throw pictures away, it's like a "sin" to me. I have a big Rubbermaid tote with stuff like that in it in the corner of our storage building.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

#4 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 09:08 AM

I would box them up and give them to my Mother. My Dh would hate pics around of my ex.
#5 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned

I wouldn't throw them away because they are part of your heritage.

I would, perhaps, not keep them in the bedroom because the bedroom is a sanctuary for you and your husband. (I'm assuming you're married, if you're single, it's your refuge and I would still not have the pics there.)

Debra Baker
#6 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 01:46 PM

I would keep them, they are a part of who you were and that time in your life helped to make you into the person you are today. It's part of your history. Keep 'em.

Solo Mum to 4 and loving every minute of it!!!!
#7 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 01:48 PM

I have mine tucked away in a box somewhere. I wore my mother's wedding gown and it was absolutely beautiful...very elegant design from 1961. I looked amazing!
#8 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 01:56 PM

Keep most, throw out the candids. I had the similar circumstance (4 years, but no marriage!) and I just ended up weeding through them. I kept a lot of my prom ones.
#9 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 02:12 PM

Keep them. Your grandchildren (or greatneice or whatever) will want to know some day.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#10 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If you can look at the pictures and remember the good times then I would find a place to keep them.

My first marriage ended after 4 years, no kids. However, it was an abusive marriage and looking at the pictures did nothing but bring me pain so I did not keep them.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#11 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 11:47 PM

i have some of my long term ex-boyfriend... some i sent back to him- if it was just him or double....
i will always have them.
emilie
#12 of 12 Old 01-21-2006, 07:23 PM

I had a psychologically abuse marriage, so I threw mine out. I did save photos of me, because I was with him for seven years of my life. I have photos of our house and pets and such, but did not feel I needed to keep any of him or us. I think it is kind of a personal decision. Like someone else said, you could give them to a family member for safe keeping, that way they are still in the family, just not in your home.

aka ~lioneyes~ :: In love with DH :: DD 5 :: new sweet baby girl 3/14/2011~ both born at home in water

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page