Where do I even begin? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-24-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We live in a small 1.5 Bedroom/2 Bath 800 s.f. condo. We have two storage closets, a tiny kitchen and a small closet that holds our upright washer/dryer combo.

Our place seems like it is brimming with junk. I try to clean/organize/declutter and it just gets worse! DH will toss everything onto a console ...

I don't even know where to begin. Everything seems so cluttered.

As avid readers, we have loads of books. Our walls are cluttered with prints and giant mirrors. DH's guitar stuff is everywhere.

I want to get everything taken care of before DS starts crawling, but I have no clue as to where to begin.

Any advice, books, websites I should check out?

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#2 of 4 Old 01-24-2006, 03:49 PM

WEll, I'd say you need to get some good verticle storage. Shelves w/ baskets would work great! You should probably purge your books, and only keep what you love, and think you will read again. The rest can be sold or donated to your local library. I'd try to set up zones, so that all of the guitar stuff is in one zone, TV items in another, toys in another. ONe tip that I read in a organizing book said to declutter it,a nd then look at what you have. Try to find the best storage solution for what is left. Be sure to take into account how big the storage must be, and how accessible you need it to be. Stuff that you want to keep, but it out of season, or will be unsafe for baby to be around can be boxed up and put up on a high shelf, or stored under the bed. I did this w/ my summer shoes, and it made a HUGE difference. I only keep a pair or two of tennis shoes, and my winter shoes in the closet. All sandles are put up until easter, or whenever I need them. THen I'll pack up the winter boots Works out nicely!
#3 of 4 Old 01-25-2006, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's Here, Somewhere by Alice Fulton and Pauline Hatch.

The authors take you room by room, and all of their strategies are really realistic. (They have 12 children between them, so they have been there, done that, and then some!!)

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#4 of 4 Old 01-25-2006, 06:00 PM

I have found that when I'm feeling overwhelmed with stuff Flylady's "27 fling boogie" really appeals to me as a place to begin.

The theory is that you get three laundry baskets, and put them in position. Then, you walk your space and find 27 things to give away (basket 1), 27 to throw away (basket 2) and 27 things to put away.

I find it motivating, and a good place to start...because after I've done it I have at least done something, you know?

good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page