Is anyone else into multi-tasking? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-25-2006, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate doing housework. But I hate a dirty or messy house even more, so when I first got married I decided I'd do as many things as possible in the shortest amount of time. Does anyone else do this? What tips/tricks can you share?

This is my morning routine:

First I put on a load of washing. Then I start in the kitchen. We don't have a dishwasher, so while the kitchen sink is filling with hot water I sweep the kitchen floor. Then I put the glasses and dishes in the sink to 'soak' for a couple of minutes while I make our bed (the hot water soak means it's an easier job when I come back a few minutes later - saves time, instead of standing there scrubbing I just have to wipe them with the cloth). I wash the dishes, then leave them to dry for a few minutes while I tidy the lounge and dining room (clear the toys, books, straighten cushions etc). Then I wipe them up and put them away and move to the bathroom. I make my own cleaning stuff, so I spray it in the toilet, into the bathtub, onto the basin/vanity and vaccuum while I let it work/'activate'. I go back, wipe the bathroom clean, do a quick mop, hang out the washing ... and the cleaning is done. In the afternoon I set aside about 30 minutes to do 'housework' jobs ... each day I do a particular job (ie dust, sort through the desk in the study, organise the kids toys into the right containers, wash sheets, iron etc). I also get the washing off the line and fold it in the early evening.

I've worked out I save heaps of time by 'doubling up' on jobs. Ie if I sweep or make beds or clean the bathroom while the kitchen dishes are soaking, I save time in more than one way. I save 'scrubbing the dishes' time and I also save the time it would have taken me afterwards, to do the job.

Another thing I've noticed is that if I'm really reluctant to do the housework (you know those days ) I can get an amazing amount of things done in 5, 10 or 15 minute slots. If I say to myself 'I'm only going to do 10 minutes of housework' I sometimes surprise myself with how much I get done in that time if I multi-task.

There are always things which take time, though. Ironing. I loathe doing the ironing. Ugh.
#2 of 8 Old 01-25-2006, 10:02 PM

I try to do this but I tend to get distracted.

I like reading your description though. Gives me some ideas.
#3 of 8 Old 01-26-2006, 12:14 AM

I definately multi task. My morning chores look similar to yours. I will also play games, read, or whatever with the kids and then spend another 15 minutes on housework. That way they're getting attention and I'm getting some things done.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#4 of 8 Old 01-26-2006, 12:23 AM

Wow! I do more than I used to, but I have to be careful. I forget things. If I let the water run while I swept, I'd forget the water was running and move onto something else and there I'd be, with another mess to clean. (Or maybe that could do triple duty: Mop with the overflowed water.)
#5 of 8 Old 01-27-2006, 05:00 AM

I don't think there is any other way to survive! But you really have it down. I tend to shy away from things that will NEED my attention (pots on stove, e tc.) if I'm doing more than 2 or 3 other tasks at the same time. I'm a huge fan of leaving cleaners on toilets, sinks, tubs, while other things are happening.

My favorite easy task is dumping leftover ice cubes or water in house plants.
#6 of 8 Old 01-29-2006, 07:23 PM

Thanks to the op for some great ideas. I'm not much of a multitasker when it comes to household chores, but your post is inspiring!
#7 of 8 Old 01-31-2006, 12:23 PM

great tips! I kinda do something similar, if I can stay in the "mode". I get up, make my bed, throw a load of clothes in the washer. Then I go make breakfast for the boys and eat while I check email. Then I go make their beds and clean their rooms. Usually at this time I am also doing their homeschooling work too. Most of the time it's while I;m cleaning the kitchen so I am right next to them. Thanks for the great ideas!

p.s. no dishwasher here either, and I totally understand about the whole soaking thing.
#8 of 8 Old 01-31-2006, 12:44 PM

I am a huge multi-tasker. My routine is a little bit different than the OP. But I can hardly function if I know that I'm not doing more than one thing at once.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page