What Can I Do With A Pictureless TV? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-28-2006, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi mamas! : I come here and lurk at times but this is my first post in your lovely forum. TIA for any ideas you may have to offer up!

Well here's the thing. DH and I have a 20 inch TV that we've had for about 6 years that was given to me by a friend of mine who had it for about 5 years before that and on Christmas Eve '05 it finally went kaput. Or at least the picture did. We think that it's a bulb or something that blew but the volume and all works fine. We went and got a new one for what we believe would be about the same price for attempting to fix the old one but now we don't know what to do with the old TV.

We don't want to just toss it in the dumpster as there might be someone who could fix it that would like a TV and we would feel horribly about putting a major appliance in the trash and just acting like well OK, now it's gone, out of sight out of mind and all that b/c we all know that that's certainly not the case.

We live smack dab in the middle of Atlanta, have no car, nor do we want one at this particular juncture, and are not sure what we should do about this. We thought about trying to donate it somewhere as maybe someone could fix it or something to that effect, however, we are not sure if there is any charity or such out there that takes appliances, fixes them, and gives them to people who could use said items. Also, transporting the TV is a problem for us with the whole no car issue and all (that freaking thing is HEAVY!). If we could find someplace that's not too far, we're on a paper thin budget here, we could take a cab to get it there.

Anyway, sorry for the long post . It's just that we have hardly any recycling facilities here in the ATL and of the ones we do have DH and I can't get to them in a practical manner. I already feel absolutely aweful about the trash that we have to throw away everyday, the majority of it recyclable. I really wish that recycling was the law here. Both DH and I work in restaurants and have done so at a few over the years and the amount of waste is mindblowing . Without getting on too much of a and derailing my own thread , all in all we strive everyday to try and do better with our own impact on this issue.

So I ask,do any of you mamas have any ideas about how to handle this whole TV business? Many thanks to anyone who took the time to read my longwinded but humble post! Much love,

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#2 of 11 Old 01-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I knew someone who used an old TV as an aquarium... you'll have to research how to do that because I couldn't tell you how he did! It looked awesome though in his place!
#3 of 11 Old 01-28-2006, 11:22 PM

I'd post it on freecycle, and if that didn't work, see if crafster.org has some creative ideas. Failing that- I'm a horrible person- I'd dump it.
#4 of 11 Old 01-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Dar

It's probably the picture tube, and honestly, it's not going to be worth repairing for any group or organization. There may be some recycling facilities for TVs in your area, though... check with your local waste management or recycling department. You shouldn't just throw it away, because there are toxic chemicals that can leach into the groundwater or injure sanitation workers.

Here's one company in Atlanta:
http://www.zentech.org/television.html
It does cost you money, and you would need to get a friend or someone to give you a ride out there... but dumping it is wrong, and giving in to a charity so they have to dump it doesn't seem kosher either.

dar

fambedsingle1.gifSingle mom to Rain (1/93) , grad student, and world traveler earth.gif

#5 of 11 Old 01-29-2006, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your input mamas!

captain crunchy, I love the aquarium idea! That sounds awesome. DH and I have been getting more and more into crafts over the last year or so and this sounds so neat. I'm gonna run this by him.

srain, I will also look into freecycle and crafster and see what comes about. I've never heard of crafster and only know a little about freecycle so your ideas for looking into these sites are greatly appreciated!

I appreciate the link Dar! Yeah, we were pretty sure that there wouldn't really be a charity or anything that would find it worth it to do the repairs to donate. I wish either DH or myself had the knowledge or capability to fix it ourselves so that we could donate it to someone that might want a TV. Oh well.

Once again, thanks ladies! Off to do more research. Enjoy your Sunday!

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

#6 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 03:35 AM

The place where you bought your new TV....did they deliver it for you? Do they do a "haul away the old" when they deliver? If so, maybe you could call them and see if they would pick it up when next in your area. Do THEY send it to the appropriate resting grounds?
#7 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 02:23 PM

You may want to try calling your recycling/trash company. Ours sends a special truck around to pick up electronics, appliances etc.

Also if you turn it into an aquarium, you only need the out shell. You will still have to figure out what to do with the "innards".

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#8 of 11 Old 01-31-2006, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

our3boys, actually we took a cab home that's a pretty funny story that I will try to shorten. We had been waiting on a cab for a while in front of the electronics store, I went back in to ask the clerk who had called the cab to check on it and the cab company told him that they didn't have any vans available! Glad we didn't wait any longer! This brother and sister who drove up to the store in a cab, that we mistakenly thought was ours, offered to give us a ride if no cab had showed up by the time they were done shopping. That was so awesome. She wasn't even on duty! We of course still paid for the impromptu cab ride. That was just so generous that they would take time out of there holiday eve to help us out.

Anyway, I would not know if they would take it to the proper place had they delivered it. That's something I should find out for future reference I think.

Zach'smom, I thought about the disposal of the insides of the TV if we decide to go with the aquarium idea also. That's something that I will ask the appliance recyclers about.

Thanks for your input mamas!

#9 of 11 Old 02-02-2006, 03:35 AM

Offer it to any homeschoolers or like-minded families you know with older kids. My oldest just spent a week disecting a cassette player that had met its final end. It would end up in the trash eventually, but do some good--and continue to entertain--along the way.

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#10 of 11 Old 02-02-2006, 01:14 PM

Why don't you gut it and give it to the kids to write and produce their own shows? They can use puppets or rolls of paper scenes. Better than watching TV!
#11 of 11 Old 02-03-2006, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies suziek and rabbithorns!

Personally, as a kid I used to love seeing how things were put together, what they were made of, how they worked. We're kinda science geeky in this house. I also love the thought of kids being able to use it as a puppet show stage. How fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page