I don't think DH can see dirt - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-30-2006, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First let me say I love DH with all of my heart and he has so many wonderful qualities. But I'm starting to think that he just doesn't see dirt.

We were cleaning and decluttering the basement today and it needed to be swept. It was full of dust bunnies, cat hair and lots of dirt. It didn't bother him one bit. I kept saying that I needed to sweep before we end for the night and he's like, 'Why?'

He also never seems to notice fuzzies on the carpet, dirt from shoes, or crumbs on the floor or table. Sometimes he'll clean up after dinner and he doesnt' wipe off the table or counters. Again, I just think he doesn't see it.

Anyone else's DH the same way?
#2 of 12 Old 01-30-2006, 01:07 AM

mine! It's funny almost. He is just focused on the big picture, does not note details
#3 of 12 Old 01-30-2006, 12:23 PM

I'm a very messy person. I don't see dirt either. Actually I do see it but I become paralyzed. I'm working on it though.
#4 of 12 Old 01-30-2006, 01:16 PM

I don't see it either. It drives my dh crazy.
#5 of 12 Old 01-30-2006, 02:27 PM

You have just described my DH!!!!! He is a wonderful husband and daddy, but the house could fall down around him and he would never notice it!

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#6 of 12 Old 01-30-2006, 05:36 PM

same here! but one day I realized - he has to get his glasses to read anything. maybe he really DOESN'T SEE it! Seriously though, my pet peeve is when he does wipe crumbs off the counter and then throws the sponge on the sink, unrinsed. Voila! All the crumbs go all over the sink and into the little gap behind the sink!
#7 of 12 Old 01-30-2006, 08:40 PM

Somebody actually did a study on that - something about the male brain not perceiving details the way the female brain does - and they blamed this phenomenon on brain physiology. So there ya go!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#8 of 12 Old 02-02-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach'smom
You have just described my DH!!!!! He is a wonderful husband and daddy, but the house could fall down around him and he would never notice it!
...or clutter and he's always adding to the clutter. Drives me mad!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#9 of 12 Old 02-02-2006, 02:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elowyn
Somebody actually did a study on that - something about the male brain not perceiving details the way the female brain does - and they blamed this phenomenon on brain physiology. So there ya go!
I believe it! Two or three years ago I decorated the house for Christmas while DH was away on business. I'm talking tree, stockings and all...and he didn't even notice for like three days! No lie...he seriously didn't notice until finally I said, 'Uh, are you going blind? Don't you see the Christmas tree?' He was like, oh yeah, it looks great!
#10 of 12 Old 02-02-2006, 02:49 PM

This is definately my dh and I think it's a combination of things. My mother could put the flylady to shame, his mother's house looks much more like our's, cluttered with a fine layer of dust - so I think our expectations/definitions are way off. ITA with the whole brain thing, although you could argue nature/nurture with that one. And he is definately low vision, so to a large extent I think he literally doesn't see it. That doesn't mean that it does bug me to no end that he doesn't wipe off the table and counters when he loads the dishwasher.
#11 of 12 Old 02-08-2006, 03:32 AM

Um... got one of those dh's here We have company coming the day after tomorrow for the weekend & I'm like the house is a mess! He doesn't think so : I love him to pieces, though
#12 of 12 Old 02-10-2006, 09:20 PM

sounds like my dh! In fact, I don't think he's ever actually wiped off the counters after he did the dishes. Also, he often puts greasy, not fully clean dishes in the dish drainer! Then, when I try to point it out to him, he says "YOU'RE WELCOME", as if I should be grovelling in thanks that he did some dishes! ARG! I've just gotten into the habit of going over whatever he's done and finishing it. If he cleans the bathroom, he leaves all the cleaning supplies on the sink and doesn't put anything back, if he vacuums, he leaves the throw rugs outside....leaves dirty laundry strewn about, muddy boots on the rug... kwim?
we've had many conversations about it and (fortunately!) it's basically the only thing we fight about, so I can't complain too much, I'm hoping he'll grow out of it (he's 31). My MIL says that his father used to be the same way, and now FIL's a neat nut so I'm crossin my fingers!

mama to dd (4-15-06) and
ds (2-23-09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page