the declutter thread - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone one else in desperate need of decluttering? My whole house needs a declutter organization tornadoe to go through it. Anybody have any good suggestions on where or how to start? What to do with things you dont want etc? If we end up having a boy we will have LOTS of girly things to get rid of. Ugg I dread it
#2 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 11:53 AM

:

I am SO with you on this one....my house is pretty bad right now. I won't say horrible because honestly it's much better than it used to be, but as they say, that's damning with faint praise! I have clutter everywhere....the kitchen table, my desk, all over the master bedroom and the girls' room, and the guest room is the WORST - you can barely tell what color the carpet is anymore with all the stuff all over the place

Anyone else have a DH who is more of a neat freak than you are? I mean, I guess I'd prefer things neat and organized, but I can live with it if they're not. But my constant mess & clutter is really annoying to DH and it causes issues between us - he says it totally stresses him out. So I'm making an effort - before this baby comes I want to get more decluttered and organized. My problem is I always do well for a while - I'll get rid of a ton of stuff and clean up and it stays that way for a few weeks and then it's back to the same old thing, stuff all creeps back in and piles up again.

And we just don't have enough storage space (although DH says even if we lived in a mansion I'd still say that ). Our townhouse is big in terms of room size and all, but the closets are not great and it doesn't have a basement or garage - just an attic (and I hate putting things like outgrown kids' clothes, etc. in the icky attic! I always think they'll get moldy or faded or something!) I am also a saver - I have everything from a dozen boxes of old photos I never got around to putting in albums, to love letters from every boyfriend since junior high, to the souvenir glass from my senior prom, to the honors tassel from my college graduation cap, to the offer letter from my first job, to street maps from every city I've traveled to - you get the idea - I just can't bring myself to throw anything out!!

So I'll be waiting to see if anyone has any ideas for us.....

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

#3 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 11:54 AM

We just got "motivated" do declutter last week, because we had company over for DS 2-yr birthday...

What I did was make myself a list of each room, and what needed to be done, and then each night tackled one room.....

Fortunately, all my old clothes for DS ar ein the basement, so I don't have to deal with them now. I'll be sending some of them to a friend, and probaly donating the rest of them if this one turns out to be a girl. I'll probably donate a bunch even if it's a boy, because it will be off season from a January baby here in NY, so until it's a little older I'll have to have new clothes for the new babe, anyway...

Don't know if that helps or not, but it worked for me and DH last week!!

ETA: I guess I'm one up on some people out there, because I'm like the anti-pack rat, and LOVE purging things!!! It's like therapy for me!!

I AM big on lists, though....I love lists.

Heather, WAHM to DS (01/04)DD (06/06). Wed to DH(09/97)
#4 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 02:17 PM

I'm in the process of a major declutter. I do one each year since it's such an ongoing thing to get really pared down. My suggestion, and what I'm doing is CLOSETS first, then move to cupboards and then drawers and finally surfaces and open shelves.By then you should be farily organized. I also have boxes with the following labels: eBAY, Trading Post, Garage Sale, Goodwill and then the trash gets thrown out as I go. I also make a list of what I need for each room as I'm rearranging, like new light bulb in a mirror, new shower liner, new shelf etc. I then have a master list to work from for the seasons garage sales and when I see it on sale. This way the money I make from seling things we aren't using can go to things we need to replace, update or find we need. I also have a list of to do for each room for hubby and me, paint, etc.

It sounds like a lot, but I do it over the course of end of winter Jan-April and have the yard sale in May and I'm set for summer and this year the new babe.

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#5 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 02:46 PM

Well i've been doing the decluttering challenge of January and got throuhg my kitchen, laundry room, both kids rooms, and part of the livingroom... but didn't even get to start on my room or the bathrooms. and sad to say my bedroom is BAD!!! I got rid of 500 and some items this month so far but would love to get rid of another 500 or more to make my home clutter proof!
My thing is i don't have closet space at all. We live in a trailor and for a trailor it's a good size 1000 sq feet more i think. but to give use more room in the bedrooms we removed all the closet doors in the kids rooms and their dressers are in there, so they have more room to play on the floor with toys/games ect. so my storage has moved to my back/mater bathroom which me and dh haven't used in 3 years now b/c of this. we are all 5 using the smaller bathroom... but i we have a shed now i'm just worried to put stuff in it b/c of mice, ect getting into boxes and stuff getting all gross. and i hate hate hate taking time to list/photo stuff for the tp or ebay... i just like to wait to have a rumage sale and make some cash then...
What works best for me is to work in one room until it's finished... then each evening after the kids are in bed i go back through and tidy up the rooms that are done so i don't get done with one room and then 3 days later i'm back where i started. that was my problem b4 i woud get one room done then move on to 3 others and the first was a mess again...
#6 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 04:32 PM

katheryn, let me know if you have that boy. I might need some of that girlie stuff! LOL We are having our first girl after 3 boys in about 8 weeks give or take.

YES, my house needs the same thing you say YOURS does. WHen it finishes there, send the tornado to my address. LOL

I am trying to do FlyLady though, and it's helping some. Someone on this board gave me the idea of separating the laundry into each persons laundry pile. I think this is a great idea and I am trying it this week to see if it helps any with mt. washmore.
#7 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefsJen
Someone on this board gave me the idea of separating the laundry into each persons laundry pile. I think this is a great idea and I am trying it this week to see if it helps any with mt. washmore.

This might sound a little crazy to some people, but if you have a ton of laundry it WORKS!
#8 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 05:34 PM

well, it has so far. It seems like the laundry gets DONE faster. haha. Now I have to get them to put it away!
#9 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 06:05 PM

LAdies! I know most of you already from the June board. You have one day left to join the thread I started for the Jan declutter challenge!! We had to get 500 items out of the house. I know a Feb one is already in the works so check it out!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#10 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 10:34 PM

do we have a thread somewhere with just general de-cluttering tips and stuff? I was going to mention to everyone something that really helped me out alot. I havea 3 year old and a 4 year old that have about a zillion toys spread out in my livingroom floor everyday. They are in the process of being "trained" to pick them up themselves, but if it's just everyone's stuff, or I'm in a pinch for time (expecting company any second!) I do what FlyLady suggests. I go grab like a produce box from my garage and toss EVERYTHING in there that will fit. Then I very quickly (I don't run, like flylady suggests...that wouldn't be pretty since I"m 8 mths PG! LOL) and throw them where they belong.

Another thing is... her idea of the timer. I have only used this method once or twice...I just actually started using it like this past week and it works. You just set your timer for 15 min. and go to TOWN in that given room. When it goes off, you stop and go to another room. Do the same thing. Eventually I start over in the same room again. It's amazing how fast you can see progress!

One major area of landfill in my home is my kitchen cabinets. Why do I have 50 gazillion glasses? Why do I have all THAT TUPPERWARE? I want NEW TUPPERWARE! All this OLD stained up garbage that I don't have lids for....stuff I got from my mom that is at LEAST 20 years old, I would bet! HELP! Help me shed the pounds of clutter in my home and become carefree! LOL I'm going to start a thread about it...
#11 of 11 Old 01-30-2006, 11:45 PM

I like your use of the word landfill.

I read Fly lady- very good stuff, she helped me declutter. But I picked and choosed stuff from her and left it at that. Good info though!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page