February De-clutter Challenge? - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 144 Old 02-23-2006, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenmom
OK--I've looked at this so many times, and never asked, but I just can't figure it out. What does bs"d mean?
ive been wondering the same thing, lol

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#122 of 144 Old 02-23-2006, 11:11 PM

It is an acronym for an Aramaic phrase that means, "with the help of heaven". It's a reminder that everything I do, even posting at MDC, I do with G-d's help.
#123 of 144 Old 02-23-2006, 11:15 PM

I sold 4 old diapering items. I also finally dropped off a letter that had been misdelivered to our house a number of weeks ago. The house it belonged to is less than a block away; it took me a long time to do that!

So that brings my total up to *65*! I don't think I'll be making it to my goal of 100. Maybe, just maybe!
#124 of 144 Old 02-23-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinahYeteirah
It is an acronym for an Aramaic phrase that means, "with the help of heaven". It's a reminder that everything I do, even posting at MDC, I do with G-d's help.
Thank you!
#125 of 144 Old 02-24-2006, 12:32 AM

Our 141 donation items were picked up last week and we sent a bag of 38 old clothing things to the clothing bank last weekend. We also trashed dh's broken childhood bedframe and an armchair and ottoman that was in the garage that the mice had nested in (apparently the cats are not doing their job.) That brings our total to 403 items. We are making really good progress but both dh and I are starting to feel like we aren't going to make our deadline. We've ordered the carpet so that locks in our date pretty much.

Here's hoping everyone has a super productive weekend.
#126 of 144 Old 02-24-2006, 11:23 AM

Haven't done much this week, but don't have any plans for the weekend other than cleaning out drawers and closets and organizing my tax stuff
#127 of 144 Old 02-24-2006, 12:04 PM

Okay, I'm joining in, Very Late Calicokatt's post got me motivated. Today my job is the PLAYROOM> my children have to many junk toys that were given as gifts and the rooms is a constant clutter factory. I have already had my cup of coffee and moved the large kitchen toys out. Not, the job is to go through the 3 organizers () and 4 toyboxes. Figure out what they do and do not need and put all the yard sale stuff in the basement.

Wish me luck.
#128 of 144 Old 02-24-2006, 02:40 PM

I don't think I'm going to meet my goals, but I did make a little progress last night. I was able to got through 2 bags of maternity clothes in the closet (one of my areas), and set about 1/3 of them aside for resale. I have to decide if I want to do TP or ebay...

I also found some stained clothes that just need to go - they aren't even good fabric for rags...

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#129 of 144 Old 02-25-2006, 08:48 PM

Haven't done a good job of focusing on my "areas" but I did clean out a bunch of stuff today. Did both "stuff" drawers in the living room, both night stands, the bathroom cabinents and started on my closet. I threw out one bag of garbage and recycled a bunch of boxes and old cards....it's a start
#130 of 144 Old 02-26-2006, 12:27 AM

Well, I won't be meeting my goal this month but I did get my father to come out and fix our toilet and bathroom sink today! Took three hours and I "helped" (boy, I feel like a little girl! : ) but it got done. One of my children, apparently, through a brush down the toilet months ago (before Christmas!) and we couldn't figure out what was wrong with it! Thankfully my father is one of those people that doesn't give up until they figure out the problem! Anyways, I will give myself a pass on the kids room as the bathroom was a huge plus! I'll put it on my list for next month.

Also, I have put on dh's list that he must go through his books tomorrow and get rid of any that he's not too terribly fond of. Hopefully that can be finished tomorrow and I'll have books to TP or donate.
#131 of 144 Old 02-27-2006, 03:00 PM

well, i don't think i'm going to totally make my goals either.... it was looking good until a week and a half ago dd got a fever that lasted for five days, at the end of which we both had colds, and before i kicked my cold my cramps started! sigh.

but i'm hoping to at least get a significant amount done tomorrow -- last day of the month!
#132 of 144 Old 02-27-2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne
...my three areas for the February challenge will be:
1. The hatbox full of photos (I want to frame some to hang on my walls, put some in photo albums and ELIMINATE the rest.)
2. The cupboard in the corridor.
3. The corridor itself.

Well, I still have a lot of work to do on the photos (those scrapbooks are going to be a lot more work than I anticipated). But, with two days to go, I have completely accomplished goal #2, and have only about a half-day's work to do on goal #3 ! (As my son put it, "I can walk all the way from my room to the loo, and not step on anything! : (A sad commentary on the previous state of the corridor, I know, but at least it's improving, right? )

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#133 of 144 Old 02-27-2006, 04:49 PM

I realize I missed the boat on this thread. Are folks up to another challenge for March?

I'm planning a "getting rid of x number of items a day" challenge for myself...
#134 of 144 Old 02-28-2006, 01:24 AM

Well, I think I did pretty well with my goals for the month. I finished my first two areas, and have made good headway with my third. I didn't plan to clean everything in the kitchen (my third area), but I have washed a couple walls and most of the cabinets, so I'm satisfied with that.

In addition, I am up to 69 items decluttered. That's short of my 100 item goal, but not bad. Maybe in the next couple hours I will get rid of 30 more items, but I doubt it. It's already pretty decluttered around here, so I really have to work to let go of things at this point.
#135 of 144 Old 02-28-2006, 12:07 PM

i'm going to do as much as i can today -- i'm up to 195 items and want to get more done on my goals! we'll see when/how long dd naps.
#136 of 144 Old 02-28-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam
I realize I missed the boat on this thread. Are folks up to another challenge for March?

I'm planning a "getting rid of x number of items a day" challenge for myself...
just wanted to add that i'd be interested in another march challenge -- whatever structure people decide to do, i'm sure i could work with it!
#137 of 144 Old 02-28-2006, 02:33 PM

Just bagged up 18 items of clothing that dd has outgrown and someone from freecycle is going to pick up this afternoon. that brings my total to 213. and i've been working on sorting pictures and boxes from the basement! every little bit is something i feel proud of, even if i'm not going to be able to say i totally made all three of my goals or got rid of 500 items....
#138 of 144 Old 02-28-2006, 06:24 PM

heading downstairs to keep working on some basement boxes. just wanted to say that i've gotten rid of 177 more things -- so i'm at 290. maybe i'll make it to 500 after all!
#139 of 144 Old 02-28-2006, 09:20 PM

Well, it's the last day and I finally got to that box in the closet. It's gone - hooray! I now have a little bag of shoes instead of a huge box. I don't really have anything specific to store them in and I don't really want to have them strewn over the bottom of the closet so I'll have to think on that. I packed up a box of toys that can be stored in the garage (my toys really, some dolls and some lego that I want for the children when they are older, and some fabric etc). I have one bag of clothing/ shoes to be donated and little bag of trash too. I really need to rationalize all the papers that are in there (currently in square boxes). However, it's looking a lot better. Thank goodness for this thread because the notifications in my email kept reminding me to get to it and I couldn't bear the month to get away from me again. Looking forward to March now!

Mama to 12, and 9 and 3. 
#140 of 144 Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 PM

just sorted through five more boxes -- i'm at 480 items disposed of! going to try to find 20 more by morning!
#141 of 144 Old 03-01-2006, 06:09 PM

i so didnt finish this challenge, lol

i'll try harder on the march challenge, cuz my hubby should be home for r&r in april, yay!

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#142 of 144 Old 03-01-2006, 11:37 PM

nak. well, i ended up getting rid of 505 things, that's something. as for my three areas:
1) Study table -- filled with all the developed pictures we have, still in their original envelopes, a wire basket of catalogues and magazines, and random other crap. i'd like to sort and eliminate. and my dh got me a power sort box for christmas and i want to get all our pictures sorted and in there before we move, so this is good motivation for that.

well, i got all of my pictures sorted until dh brought up a box from the basement that was filled with high school pictures... : but i'm counting those as "sorted" since they are all from one time period. maybe after i finish our wedding scrapbook i'll move all the high school pictures into the power sort box with the rest. we'll see. there is still a lot on the table, but at least you can see large portions of it now!

2) get all my www.paperbackswap.com (an awesome site, pm me with questions and if you decide to join, tell them bufomander sent you and i get free credits -- a good way to get rid of books!) books organized in the order that i posted them, on a shelf, and maybe get them down to 25 (there are only like 34 or so).

well, they are all in the order i posted them in. unfortunately, i've now got 49 books instead of 34 (we keep culling our collection in an attempt to get rid of them.) but i'm committed to taking some to the used bookstore next time we go, and only keeping what fits on the space we've alotted for it -- which means taking about seven books, unless some get requested between now and then.

3) my dh's addition to this list -- the basement -- i never even go down there, it's dark and dank and very low (and we've only lived here a year). there's a bunch of boxes down there that have been there since we moved -- some of them haven't been looked at in three years or more. we want to sort through them, reduce and better organize. dh has said he'll be more responsible for working together with me on this one!

got about 7-10 boxes sorted, now have a few empty boxes for packing.

iit's not where i wanted to be, but it''s something
#143 of 144 Old 03-02-2006, 03:48 PM

Hooray everyone for all our February accomplishments!

Well, I dont think I got everything done, but I took a couple days off of work to try and get a few things done.

1. we did manage to clear out a pathway in the garage! we restacked the bins and took out a bunch of garbage, made a yard sale pile, put a bunch of dh's stuff in his band room for him to deal with.

we also took out the screen door we have been meaning to attach to the front door for a couple years and put it on the front porch. a hopeful(less?) motivator.

and i took all of dd's baby clothes, etc, went through everything, decided what to keep and what to sell/donate and organized it all into 4 bins.

total tossed/donated/sold=about 50 items

and dh finally let me recycle a box full of old business window envelopes from a company he used to work for. hooray! i have been trying to get him to let go of those ever since we moved in together!

total recycled=1000 envelopes

2. heard about the huge local clothing swap that i love going to and cleaned out my closet in preparation.

total items=2 shopping bags full approx 45 items

3. dh worked on his desk area and managed to recycle about 5 piles a foot high of newspapers, catalogs, old papers, etc. he also managed to organize several piles of stuff and sweep and dust in the area. there is still more work to do, but a lot was accomplished!

total items recycled=about 5000+ pages

hooray for spring cleaning!
#144 of 144 Old 03-04-2006, 12:57 PM

Well, we're not exactly where we wanted to be at this point, but overall a lot of progress was made. The last weekend ended up being more of a "just move stuff" than a real de-cluttering but we needed to make way for the carpet measuring . Our three areas were supposed to be:
  1. dd future bedroom - otherwise known as the catroom/craft room/pantry
  2. laundry room
  3. garage

The progress we made:

Garage - completely done!!! : This included taking everything that we don't want out of the rafters (except for the grape arbor, which we will try and free cycle closer to planting season) that we didn't want. Opening and sorting through every box, being brutal about what got kept and what didn't, and being organized in what got put where (we actually know where everything is now). And the garage can be safely navigated by pregnant women and beginning walkers.

Laundry Room - Not as declutered as we would have liked but, dh's childhood bedframe (which was broken) is gone. The area under the window was cleared and filled with the cat boxes, the shelves were reorganized to allow Oscar to perch on the top shelf well out of the reach of the dog and ds, and their food/water is on top of the dryer. Plus all of the old paint/wallpaper left from the previous owners was moved out which gave us a place to store our touch up paint.

DD Future Room - Mostly done. Cats have been relocated, we did leave the loveseat for them to hang out on until we absolutely have to move it to the media room. All the books, sorted and thinned, boxed (except for the trail guides and cookbooks) and located in the garage until we can afford to get more bookshelves (the ones that we had ended up storing dh's music collection), the china hutch was emptied until the carpet is installed and relocated to the media/craft room, coffee table relocated to media room, queen matress and boxsprings to my sister, all out of season clothes that were stored in the closet are in the closet of the media room, scrapbook stuff in the closet relocated to media room. The closet isn't totally empty, there's still some of my craft stuff and a christmas present that we decided not the give dd but haven't figured out how to return without her in tow.

Our bonus - Grandma's Room now known as the boys' future room/media/craft room - We hadn't really planned on decluttering this room yet, more of just a stash and hide to get the carpet installed. But we really had to do this room for two reasons. The valve on the watermain broke and the plumber had to be able to get to it and to clear dd's future room we had to create space in this room. Out of all the rooms that should of had before/after pictures taken, this was it. There was something resembling a path before, if you were careful about where you stepped. We were horrible about just opening the door and tossing stuff because it was just too intimidating to try and put stuff away. Just some of the things that we did. Sorted and packed all of the kids outgrown clothes, when dc#3 arrives in May we'll sell which ever set we don't need. All of my childbirth ed stuff is in the appropriate bins and this current class series is even on top. The desk/craft table is clear (well, that's more of a was, right now the box of trail guides, which will need a permanent home, and the box of china from the hutch are sitting on it) which means that I have room to scrapbook/sew depending on which I'm working on. The bed was free cycled, we have a futon in the playroom for overnight guests. All my extra fabric is in the closet and the mending is confined to one basket in the corner. We have a clear area for the stereo to be moved into, all of dh's music is appropriately filed. Not only can we walk through the room, the entire family could lay down on the floor and not touch anything. Granted we have to pack all of those cd's and records before they can lay the carpet but it's not intimidating like it was before.

Great job everyone and for all of the support.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page