Your Decluttering Tips ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2006, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thought I could maybe get a ton of good decluttering tips all together in one recent thread for everyone to view.

Here are two of mine I posted on another thread.

1. Use a cardboard box. Go through a room grabbing up everything out of place and just throw it all in! Then go quickly through the house putting it all back where it goes. You woudln't believe how FAST this makes such a HUGE difference.

2. Timers. Stolen, like number 1 from Flylady, set a timer for 15 min and clean clean clean one room. when it goes off, stop, go to the next room, reset the time and clean clean clean in there. Continue on. GREAT for crisis cleaning, as she calls it. Works wonders around my house.

Got any great tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2006, 01:05 AM

My current favourite is Find a Home. If an item doesn't have a "home" where it belongs, do you really need it? If you do really need it, make a permanent home for it so its easy to put away.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:36 AM

-If you have an item that you do not find either useful or beautiful or both, get it out of your home.

When ever you bring a new item into your home, discard the old similar one. For example- you just bought a pair of black boots on sale for the winter clearence. Throw out the old pair in your closet.

In your closet, if you have not worn it for more than a year- it has to go. It will go out out style before you do. Also sizes you no longer fir whether too small or too large need to go too.

Once a month do a mini declutter. Go thru your house with a box, garbage bag whatever and throw in 25 items to leave your home. It could be expired contents from the fridge, old receipts from your purse, empty bottles from the laundry room or pantry etc

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-31-2006, 02:29 AM

First step back and think of the things you want in your life.
Not just 'less stuff' but more enjoyment of the crap you own

Decide on numbers.
I only need 1 pair of dress shoes (and either pick one you have or put it on the list to buy), deciding on rules helps to part with things.
Also it helps get around the if it doesn't fit, you haven't worn it in 2 years it goes.

1. If it is stained, chipped, broken, not usable it goes if its sentimental take a picture.
2. Do not buy storage boxes, shelves until you have finished decluttering.
3. If you have two of anything one goes, holding on to spares keeps clutter up for example my rotary cutter for sewing if I misplace one and know I have two in the drawer I will forget about the lost one.
4. Decide on the purpose of your spaces, bedroom is for, kitchen is for...as often people who clutter end up with that spare sewing machine in the bedroom.

Dh is going through his computer stuff now.... its stressful.

Also find homes for your crap, make a list of salvation armies, women's shelters some places you know that that dress you think you will fit into in two years will be used this week.

No overspill, eveerything has a place and is in its place.

DO NOT DECLUTTER KIDS TOYS when they are awake!
They get nervous! You can ask them what they don't mind parting with...
after you've gone through it all

PAINT.
I found this is the best way I paint a room you haul everything out, while dh is painting (often a 3-4 day experience with neighbours and beer...) I go through the stuff, get organizer type things and you don't want to junk up a freshly painted room so...

Think vertical - get small frames hang pictures, my over the door shoe rack rocks rocks rocks!!!

Get a friend over to help you go through clothes and they can tell you if your butt looks too big in that.

Follow safety rules, throw out makeup over x months old, drugs, medicines etc. And get everyone to commit.... as often other people are not so happy to have you eyeing their computer crap saying do you need all that big boy?

But honestly I am half way through having started this in August... yep august. i have boxed and donated, given away more stuff that I knew I owned!!

Oh tip number 64 do not sell anything it takes time if your first priority is slimming down trying to sell stuff clutters up the works, takes away time from the real job at hand. Also it makes you feel that your overconsumerism, clutter, haording etc is going to a good place as often when you sell stuff you end up buying MORE stuff with the money.

Then you have to start a clutter free lifestyle.
Like the post below me go through stuff on a regular basis.
Once a month get rid of the socks with no mates, as you do laundry if its stained toss it make rags with it. Set aside time to streamline your life, Friday night go through all paper, mail etc.

good luck its a long long long journey!

8 might be enough
Old 01-31-2006, 04:29 AM
Banned

i just started to declutter and reorganize. i was going to store things but will try the "find a home" or it goes.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

man, shiloh....are you flylady is disquise? great tips, dude! One fault of mine is the sock thing...with no mates. I will shove them into a drawer or something "out-of the way" and forget about them. LOL NO MORE!

You guys have some very good tips...and I shall implelment some or all starting TODAY! WOOHOO! Let's see if I can get in that 500 items for January today ALONE! BWAHAHAHAHA. now, THAT'S a challenge!

User Tag List