I just let go of a lifetime's worth of... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 01-31-2006, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...achievement certificates, ribbons, and letters of commendation.

This was a huge step for me! I finally, finally, finally realize that I don't need a piece of paper to prove that I am a worthwhile and accomplished person.

I can't believe it took me 32 years to do that. I literally had stuff going back to preschool, all through elementary, junior high, high school, and college.

Just wanted to post this to offer support if someone else is hanging onto that kind of stuff. I feel so free now!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#2 of 15 Old 01-31-2006, 04:15 PM

Wow. Thats HUGE.
I'm 32 and it never even crossed my mind to get rid of that stuff. I've just been going along thinking thats exactly the stuff you keep.

Thank You.
#3 of 15 Old 01-31-2006, 04:42 PM

You know, you just inspired me to get rid of all my school papers and tests! I've been keeping them to show myself just how smart I "was" (I feel like mommyhood has made me dumber! ) I even kept the first test I ever failed...I got a 57 on a high school senior year physics test. Ugh...I don't need all this crap!

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Julie, mom to my beautiful twin girls twins.gif

#4 of 15 Old 01-31-2006, 04:52 PM

I did this earlier this year. It was one of the most freeing experiences I've ever had.

Also, it was a big part of my new obsession with ridding the house of things I don't want or need.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#5 of 15 Old 02-01-2006, 03:40 PM

I haven't had that stuff for years because I lost it between moves. I've never missed it. I do still have my high school yearbooks, though, and enjoy looking through them occasionally for comedic value.
#6 of 15 Old 02-01-2006, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've got a folder of the few good papers I wrote in college, but the rest? Out with it, I say!
#7 of 15 Old 02-01-2006, 04:07 PM

That is so cool! I still have certain ones of mine but they have been pared down and aren't taking up much space in two (thin) books. But, really, what do I need my swimming and skating badges for? I'd break my leg now if I tried to do any of the skating jumps.

Allison
ds 5/8/02

Allison, mom to ds born May 2002
#8 of 15 Old 02-02-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyamanda
I finally, finally, finally realize that I don't need a piece of paper to prove that I am a worthwhile and accomplished person.
That is so true!!! Thank-you for inspiring me . I too thought those were papers you were suppose to keep. It was freeing to let them go.
#9 of 15 Old 02-02-2006, 04:23 PM

I think you've inspired me. A few years ago, my mum gave me an envelope of all my report cards. I felt as crappy reading them then as when I was in school. Not that I was that bad a student, I just didn't like school much. I really should trash them.

That being said, DH and I had a howling good time reading his grade school report cards. They were TOTALLY on the money.
#10 of 15 Old 02-02-2006, 04:51 PM

That's so great for you! I don't even know if I have any of these types of papers, but if I do, I definetely need to look through them. Then I will toss them.
#11 of 15 Old 02-02-2006, 05:41 PM

Good for you! My dad just brought me several boxes of things from grade school--assignments, achievement certificates, my cheerleading uniform--and I don't think I'll have much trouble parting with them. What I do have a hard time parting with though is all my homework from college. The one time I threw away stuff at the end of a semester, I needed it a year later when I taught at a community college. Since then, I'm afraid to throw any of it away. And DH is even worse....
#12 of 15 Old 02-03-2006, 05:42 PM

Wow, that is awesome! I actually have two huge bins of trophies, etc from my college days that have been in the garage forever. The crazy thing is, I keep it even though I have never displayed or even shown them to people - even when they were new. What a waste! Out they go

I'm almost embarrassed to say that it was only last year that I tossed all my old college notes/assignments/crap!

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#13 of 15 Old 02-03-2006, 05:58 PM

I had all of my "Field Day" ribbons from elementary school on up.

I had my trophies from tee ball and other sports.

I had my horse-back riding ribbons, though not boxes upon boxes of them like my mom has.

I had plaques and trophies from car shows. (These, I took some photos of before I got rid of them.)

I had certificates of all sorts.

I did keep my various FAA and other flight training certificates. If for any reason my pilot history was questioned, I would have back-up documentation with these. They take very little space.

I had so many other random awards, schoolwork, etc. that it was nuts.

I'm sooooo glad it's gone. It wasn't doing me a bit of good. When was I ever going to hang it on the wall or pull it out to show someone. My memories are enough!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#14 of 15 Old 02-03-2006, 06:22 PM

It is weird and a neat thrill to trash all that stuff. I mean who cares that I was in 5th grade a super reader in the month of November??

We also chucked dh's awards and stuff too. We kept the high school yearbooks, its true to get a good laugh plus remember how NOT to do your hair again...

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#15 of 15 Old 02-03-2006, 08:50 PM

I am way to sentimental to get rid of stuff like that.

I will tell you why.

I have stuff from my grandmothers and great grandmothers. As a child and even now for my children it really help me get to know family I never got to know. To touch what they touched, made, loved is an incredible feeling.

Thus I want to keep such special stuff so that my grandchildren may get to know me and what I was like.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page