Paper, paper everywhere!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-01-2006, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you other moms handle paper? It seems to be the one thing that causes clutter in my home! DH and I are pretty neat, and we have a fairly pared-down home. We don't have a lot of knicknacks or other small things. But the paper drives me nuts! A lot of it accumulates on a corner of my kitchen counter by the telephone. School notices, DD's returned schoolwork, mail that needs to be attended to in the near future, coupons, recipes I've cut from magazines, reminder cards from the dentist, party invitations...how do you manage it all???
#2 of 4 Old 02-01-2006, 12:03 PM

well, for starters, thanks to ladies on this board, I have purchased a planner / daytimer type thing and all those reminder notes from dentists and doctors and whatever, ANY appts. get put in that and on a calender in the study and the kitchen hanging on the wall. we still have a prob with paper...me personally, it's with all of their schoolwork. We homeschool and I haven't yet found a good way to store all of their completed work for the year. I say that and immediately see the filing cabinet next to my desk here. Guess I gave myself the perfect answer. File file file, I guess. Lose all the reminders and appt. notices and write them down somewhere where you will always see them. After the money I spent on this planner I am MAKING myself use it! Good luck.

p.s. I don't do coupons, I get regular discounts at the grocery anyway since I am one of their kroger club members...I just watch the sales and buy when I can. We don't get a newspaper so we don't have a prob with that. If we ever need the paper (want ads, monthly meeting notices or whatever, comics sports) we just buy a sunday edition and then toss it when we're done.

HTH!
#3 of 4 Old 02-03-2006, 02:39 AM

LunaMom,
I have no business giving anyone advice on dealing with clutter, but here goes. The planner is a good idea, but I don't use one myself. Here is what I do with various categories of paper.

Schoolwork - I have two preschoolers, so I don't deal with that yet. I save all the artwork that my kids do in large rectangular boxes in the basement. EVERYTHING. God only know what I will do with it later !

Coupons - get yourself a coupon file that you can keep in your purse or bag with lots of slots for sorting, and create categories that work for you. I keep a compartment open in the front to move anything into that I plan to use at the store that day, if I've managed to be that organized by the time I get to the store.

Recipes - store your recipes in a three-ring binder that you can stash in one of your kitchen cabinets. Use pocket dividers for the different categories, and stash the recipes you want to try in there under the appropriate category. Persuse frequently for meal planning, and you will find it again. Adopting this recipe method has greatly improved my life in the kitchen.

Mail - throw most of your mail out immediately, including catalogues that you don't plan to buy from and will only create lust in your heart. I highly recommend paying bills online through your bank, two set times a month. I use the first and the fifteenth, give or take a day or two (make sure one of these days is right after your credit card bill usually arrives, or you could get spanked). Then you can throw away everything but the actual statement (return envelopes, etc.). I stash this on top of my computer monitor until bill time, and then file them after they've been paid.

Doctor notices and party invites - I paper clip these to a calendar I have hanging near my phone. Not a great solution, but it works for me. I always procrastinate making appointments for myself, whereas if I didn't I could just throw this stuff away immediately!

These are just things that work for me, most recently adopted as I hone my SAHM/haufrau skills. Best wishes in your quest for a more serene space, whichever solutions you find. . .
#4 of 4 Old 02-03-2006, 03:50 AM

Quote:
well, for starters, thanks to ladies on this board, I have purchased a planner / daytimer type thing and all those reminder notes from dentists and doctors and whatever, ANY appts. get put in that and on a calender in the study and the kitchen hanging on the wall.
I started doing that this year and its wonderful.

I had some coupons come in that I will want to use in November so I wrote the code and such info in my planner and threw away the coupons that no doubt would have gotton lost being 10 months is a long time to keep such a pesky peice of paper.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page