Tell me about the things you have gotten rid of, but found you need or would like.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bet not much, but I always think of those square wicker baskets I gave away. Would be perfect for diapers....

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#2 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 10:40 AM

Only two things ever, that I can remember. One was a very sturdy, attractive step-stool that I could have used MANY times since I got rid of it. The other was a pair of cotton string grocery bags. I don't know what possessed me to give those up, other than that they hadn't been used in awhile.

I really don't have any other memorable regrets. Amazing!

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#3 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I can't think of ANYTHING I've given away and then wished I had. I mean, I've missed certain items of clothing that got damaged, worn out, or outgrown, but I haven't regretted giving anything away that I didn't need at the time.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#4 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 02:14 PM

a quisinart at a tagsale for $15 bucks, Id give anything for that. I didnt cook much then , but I do now.
#5 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 04:57 PM

The only thing that I regret giving away is the kids' bassinet. I don't need it and will never need it again, but I still wish I had it. I'm a sentimental person.
#6 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 05:44 PM

I just mentioned this in another thread, but the one time I threw away notes and tests from some college classes, I ended up needing them when I taught at a community college a year later. I ended up having to track down an old classmate who sent me hers to copy. And since I still teach a class here and there, I refuse to part with any more of it ever.
#7 of 13 Old 02-02-2006, 06:15 PM

My full-sized bedding. When we upgraded to a queen bed I got rid of all the full size stuff. Now we moved and have 2 guest rooms and guess what? One has a full-size futon. So I had to go out and get all new bedding for it.

I have gotten rid of TONS of stuff and that is the only stuff I miss. I think I'm O.K. with that.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#8 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 02:22 AM

These two neat dresses that I gave away and later realized they were great for travel (no-wrinkle). Still looking for similar ones, 6-7 years later!
#9 of 13 Old 02-07-2006, 03:52 AM

Nothing yet but I am afraid of 'going too low' getting rid of stuff I will miss, or need to replace. I have such momentum now I am scaring dh big time. I want to cut in half our little tikes living room (are there adult couches in there behind the tool bench?) He only sometimes notices, I put all donated stuff in nonsee through bags, and if they are in boxes I tape them....

But dh is sure going to miss his golf shirts and matching golf hats from those golf clubs he's visited. If he notices I donated them

He's harder to get on board we have two cabinets of paintball gear (last time he played probably 4 years ago) But I am proud of myself and am motivated to keep truly sentimental meaningful things, not every card, gift etc anymore!

8 might be enough
#10 of 13 Old 02-10-2006, 04:58 PM

you guys are not going to believe this... but i sold my cast iron pans (my great grandmothers) at a yard sale for like $15. a week later, i learned about how terrible teflon is for you. i could still kick myself in the ass for that one!!! i have since gotten my dh's grandpa's, but they're not as big. i one i had was HUGE; perfect for frying chicken cutlets, etc. (YUM!!!)

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#11 of 13 Old 02-11-2006, 10:03 PM

Jeesmom - do you have BigLot's stores near you? A couple weeks ago they had a BIG (deep, and either 14 or 16" diameter - nice & big) cast iron pan for $15.

I gave away a food dehydrator that I'd gotten for free. Couple months later I started thinking about a bunch of stuff I'd like to make with it. Ocassionally I've gotten rid of something that I ended up wanting for craft or storage purposes. Not very often though. And I once donated a singing Barney toy of my DD's...8 mos later she rememerded it and was heartbroken that it was gone.
#12 of 13 Old 02-12-2006, 01:00 AM

This really got me thinking and I can't think of anything I regret! What a relief that is and hopefully will encourage me to keep decluttering!
#13 of 13 Old 02-12-2006, 08:20 AM

DH's parents gave a gorgeous china hutch, table and chairs-solid wood, heavy, and intricately carved with flowers. GORGEOUS.

The chairs-one was missing entirely (broke), and the other three were missing the cane backs and had shoddy velvet seats on them. We didn't have enough room in our van, and it was hectic, so we pitched em to the curb. Didn't think they were worth repairing.

1.5 yrs later move into our house. Guess what? I find out my dad has restored a pair of 100 yr old wooden chairs. He apparently knew how to cane the backs of chairs, and stained them. I am now kicking myself because he could have repaired them, and I would have a matching set! Did I mention that this set matches the woodgrain in our house, and the designs match the carvings on our staircase!?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page