"Heirloom" stuff - what to keep, how to decide? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2006, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oy, vey. My mother sent me *six* boxes which arrived yesterday. One came yesterday and she's sending at least one more. She's cleaning out her storage units, yay because I won't have to do it now.

But... she's doing it by sending stuff to me. Blech.

My problem is that now I have to decide what to keep, what to sell/toss/give away and I'm having trouble with this. I have in the past made my mom really angry by getting rid of things she thought of as "on loan" to me once I was done or, in one case, once a rug was ruined by my cat. Bad cat. So although she *says* I can choose what I want, and get rid of the rest, I'm wary. This is making it hard to toss things!

I would like to sell some things (china, mostly) on eBay, but it feels like a big project to take on right now. There are several sets of dishes that were my grandmother's that I do want to keep, but I know I don't *need* them. I plan to have a yardsale in the spring, which I think will be fun or at least interesting.

But how do I decide what to do with, say, dresses saved from my childhood that dd will (I'm sure) refuse to wear when they fit in 5 years? They're out of style, but in perfect condition, and I have no sentimental attachment. But I feel guilty about not keeping them. , I know!

I need a pep talk and a simple technique. Or absolution from my guilt. Something like that. Anyone want to take me on as their little project?

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2006, 11:46 PM

Ask your mom. Get a clear answer from her, then purge!
Old 02-03-2006, 07:13 AM
Banned

Our rule around here is -- if you want it kept, YOU keep it. So anything she thinks she's "loaning" you I would send straight back. Grandmother's dishes to a consignment store. Your childhood clothes to consignment or donate (don't wait for the yard sale; clothes don't sell and you'll end up donating them anyway after storing them for months).
Old 02-03-2006, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Ok. Kid clothes can go to our usual donation place, and I've got mama clothes to go there too, so I can do that all in one trip. I'll keep one dress that I am actually attached to - dd can use it for dress-up. Good.

I think I'll eBay the dishes I don't want. I do want some, and I have a china cabinet, so I have a few sets of china that I use/display for various holidays. The china I was actually interested in. But some of it is partial sets, or designed so that I can't really figure out what it's for, etc. That can go.

The zillion small toys can stay, (an odd assortment but dd spent half an hour playing with them by herself yesterday, so as long as she uses them I'll keep them) but I'll donate other toys not being used now, so there's room. Maybe my pregnant babysitter would like some toys for her future child.

While I could ask my mom about what I'm supposed to keep - if she wants something I've gotten rid of I'll tell her it's in storage. Honestly, it's just better that way.

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

Old 02-03-2006, 04:08 PM

I'm glad you figured out what you will be doing with everything! I think that's the hardest part -- after admitting that you do need to get rid of stuff.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:48 PM

You could have a quilt made out of your old dresses and give it to your dd

User Tag List