Has anyone taken a Franklin Covey seminar? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-03-2006, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all...

I am going to school in New York City to be a Health Counselor. This will involve starting my own business and scheduling clients, etc. Since I've always worked in an office (until I had my twins 4 years ago, then I went SAH), I am terrified that I am not organized enough to run my own practice. So...the school mentioned Franklin Covey has day-long seminars on organizing and prioritizing. They are expensive (although I do get a discount through school and can write it off as a business expense) so I'm wondering...

Has anyone ever taken one of these "training courses?" Or are familiar with the whole Franklin Covey system??

Thanks!!

Julie, mom to my beautiful twin girls twins.gif

#2 of 5 Old 02-03-2006, 05:37 PM

I took an all-day Franklin Covey course. It was mainly focused on the book "7 Habits of Highly Effective People". I don't know if there is a different seminar you're thinking of or not, but here's my experience.

I love the 7 Habits approach and it has lots of great info on reflecting on your life, your goals, prioritizing, etc. BUT...the seminar was really slow. I had already read the 7 Habits book and the planner system is very self explainatory, so this was really a review. The Franklin Covey website has articles and resources for free there too. I didn't have to pay for the seminar because it was part of our training program at work. I would have been disappointed if I had paid my own $ to attend.

So I would say, read the 7 Habits book (it's a quick read) before you decide. You just might be able to save some $ and some time )isn't that what it's all about? )

HTH

SAHM to two amazing boys
8-21-05
#3 of 5 Old 02-05-2006, 08:50 PM

I took the class at work as they paid for it and it was only ok. I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I agree with the other post to just read the book. The class was slow. Mine met one night a week for several weeks. The only thing I really remember now is that it was at supper time and I really liked that someone always brought snacks.
#4 of 5 Old 02-08-2006, 01:24 AM

I agree with the PP. I took the course but got much more out of the book!
#5 of 5 Old 02-11-2006, 11:37 PM

I worked for Franklin Covey way back in '97...and LOVED it. They send all of their employees through their course, and I loved the course too. I think that it all depends on how you learn best. I love having someone TELLING me in a lecture setting how to do stuff. But someone else might be able to read it in a book and get just as much out of it.

All in all...if you can swing it, I would do it.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page