When theres nothing left to "toss" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-05-2006, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH and I moved into a one bedroom apt together October of '04 with my DD (DS only lives with us part time), we are now due any time with our own DC. The last 6 months or so I have been a really good girl and gotten rid of anything that we don't use, and even gotten DH to give up some of his clutter (actually most of his clutter, there wasn't THAT much to begin with)

Now i find myself nesting even more and there isn't anything left to toss, i've gone through drawers of clothes and realized that if i get rid of anything more we won't have enough to make it from one laundry day to the next (we do weekly laundry) but with the baby coming the apartment seems to just keep getting more full (really all we've added is a packnplay and a 5 drawer plastic organzer which holds alll the baby clothes and changing necessities plus we have to store our stroller in our apartment because we don't have anywhere else to put it (we actually have DD's stroller outside which i hate doing because it's the middle of the winter and it's snowing so i'm abusing the poor thing by leaving it out there and we are just lucky that we are in a nice small town and no one steals the thing) We also leave the infant carseat in our van because it's so bulky to have in the apartment.

anyway i guess the point is, when do you know that you have to stop tossing stuff and what do YOU do to organize the stuff you need to keep around
(or refuse to get rid of.. in my DH's case a collection of DVD's and Disney VHS in my case a two series of books one which DD was named from and the other which is just REALLY good and i'm in the process of reading)
#2 of 6 Old 02-05-2006, 07:22 PM

lol I was wondering the same thing how low in terms of stuff can I actually go?

1. portable washing machine.
We rent too, I finally said enough is enough and we got a washer and a mini dryer. I was able to go from insane amounts of kid stuff to my ds who is three owns three pairs of pants and two pairs of knit jersey play pants.
I do laundry often but I also cd. Even a small haier are about $200 dollars and you can hang clothes above the shower on the rod on hangers without taking up space.

2. outside clothes vs houseclothes. It keeps the nice clothes nicer.

Quote:
anyway i guess the point is, when do you know that you have to stop tossing stuff and what do YOU do to organize the stuff you need to keep around
Think vertical and think of using the depths, we bought an ikea bookshelf that was like 18 inches deep we can put twice the book on one shelf and I have spare shelves for other stuff.

Quote:
(or refuse to get rid of.. in my DH's case a collection of DVD's and Disney VHS in my case a two series of books one which DD was named from and the other which is just REALLY good and i'm in the process of reading)
My dh happily bought a bound leatherette case for his dvd's getting rid of the cases and now he has his happy books to look through.

Then think of not used space, under the bed storage, hanging closet organizers? I put spice shelfs (dollar store the ones that are for bathrooms, spices, and drilled them into the back of the closet door, so that each shelf has one kid's hat mittens, scarf)

and oh gosh my mom would love this Ironing... yep ironing saves space!

We also have an ikea bed that is raised about 3 feet off the ground and keep stuff under it. Under the crib I have a few rolling bins as well.

But honestly the washing machine has saved us a tonne of money, my saturday mornings! and I probably gave away so many extra clothes as for my ds I had probably 14-20 pairs of pants/overalls in each size. Now all of my clothes fit into the closet and so paired down I am going to toss the dressers.

8 might be enough
#3 of 6 Old 02-09-2006, 10:21 PM

I'm just in awe & admiration that you got it together so well before your dc is even born. Gosh, I wish I had done that! I won't have that kind of solo time again for a looong time. Congrats! and maybe put a tarp over the stroller or something!

Edition: Oh, I see you do have children already and you still got it done - bravo!
#4 of 6 Old 02-10-2006, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

We only have a one bedroom and there is no hookups for a washer/dryer and no room to get a washer that would hook to the sink, we're lucky though that we don't spend any money on laundry, we do laundry at the in-laws and when we can't make it out ourselves MIL will usually come and pick our laundry up for us.

DH keeps all his burned movies in a cd binder. I guess I should ask him about getting something like that for his "real" DVD's I'm not sure what he'd think of it and i think it would lead to him wanting to keep all the DVD covers as well, right now all our DVD's only take up one shelf in one closet our VHS are on another shelf and the Disney movies are lined up on the kids "toy" shelf in the livingroom.

I think i need to invest in a couple of those thin rolling rubbermaid bins for underbed storage, i need somewhere to keep all our large bedding (baby blankets, toddler sized quilts and some thin knitted full sized blankets) so thanks for bringing that up.
#5 of 6 Old 02-10-2006, 10:16 PM

I'd seriously check into the small portable washers, the rv types like the haier take up as much space as a wastebucket and can fit onto a bathroom sink etc.

8 might be enough
#6 of 6 Old 02-17-2006, 04:50 PM

I get to that point and then a few months later I'm on another cleaning spree, then I get to that point again. It's a cycle.

Mama to:Ben (12), Natalie (9), Zoe (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page