Grown Children of Packrats - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 03-17-2006, 01:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMine
For us it is frugality. You never know when you might need that. It has value. We can't just THROW IT OUT!
it is hard for me to really make this concrete so work with me I truely believe having too much stuff you don't need, living in cluttered chaos, sucks your money and bocks financial flow from you life. practically speaking I have a friend who always holds onto stuff because she got it for a good deal. she can't use it because there is no room to use it, she can't find what she already has to buys more. looses gift certificates, coupons, money, checks, etc . . .its all in there somewhere. not to mention how much time is spent lookig for what is lost in the clutter, walking around the clutter, lokoing for another spot to put stuff. time is worth something. Loking at our finances pre-purge and post purge getting rid of stuff has not cost us anything.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#32 of 36 Old 03-17-2006, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree lilyka and I know I have repurchased something I already had becuase I couldn't find it or forgot I had it.

But whenever I toss something I always wish I had it not too long later and then I kick myself. I struggle so hard.
#33 of 36 Old 03-17-2006, 12:41 PM

Just have to add FWIW my mother is a terrific housekeeper and her house is very clean. She's super organized.

I'm the opposite: a very messy clutterer.

Clutterers come from all types of backgrounds.

Flylady does have some good ideas if you ignore the silly shoe rule.

Daily routines, 27 fling boogie etc.
#34 of 36 Old 03-21-2006, 12:36 PM

Mommymine, do you wish you had it back because it was something you really need or liked or because you just have a hard time letting anything go so your mind invents reasons to need it? I tossed some curtains the other day (not in the garbage - sent them to Goodwill). Not a day later I was thinking that I could have used them in another window and was annoyed with myself for giving them away. When I thought about it though, I realized I really couldn't use them in the new window (they were sheer and that window needs something more substantial - they would have been pretty but impractical). I think it was just me having a hard time letting something go and so coming up with ideas just to be able to say "see, you shouldn't have tossed that! Quit decluttering!".

Also, looking at it another way, you might be finding uses for things after you toss them simply because you are finally seeing them for the first time in months/years, so they are on your mind. If you keep them, will they really get used or will they get lost in the clutter again? I keep having to point that out to myself a lot. I will find something and think "ooooooo, I shouldn't toss this, I can do XYZ with it". And then I have to have a talk with myself about whether I am REALLY going to do XYZ or if I will just think about it for years and never get around to it. I sometimes put a limit on things. "Ok Shannon, you say you will do X with this. You have one week. If you don't do it by then, out it goes". I, uh, have a collection of holey t-shirts in the basement right now for that reason : I keep telling myself I'll make a crocheted rag rug out of them. It's been a few months since I came up with that idea and haven't done a thing toward it. I really should put a time limit on that project.

And this doesn't mean you can't keep anything I have a decent sized yarn stash I inherited from Grandma that I have no intention of getting rid of, but I *am* slowly getting rid of the colors I don't like. She left an unfinished blanket in colors I really don't care for. I'm working up to donating it to a charity so it will do some good (a local EMS squad crochets lap blankets for nursing homes in between calls - how perfect would that be???)

I will admit to having regretted a few things I've tossed but I haven't given a second thought to the vast majority of stuff that went out of this house. I'm also pretty easy on myself. I don't get rid of stuff until I am good and ready. My grandma's towels for example took up space and went unused for years but I just wasn't ready to get rid of them yet. But then, with the amount of packratting we do, there is plenty of stuff to get rid of that I don't have to obsess over. Why focus on the things I *do* obsess about?

What someone else said about buying things you can't find made me smile I do that too often. Dh and I joke if you can't find something just go buy a new one and you'll find the old one within a day
#35 of 36 Old 03-21-2006, 12:42 PM

I don't know Shannon. It is an illness. And it runs in the women in my family deep. We are children of a depression era matriarch. We also keep insaign amounts of food around...just in case.
#36 of 36 Old 03-31-2007, 04:48 PM

bumping!

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page