When did you "turn the corner" from hopelessness to organized? - Mothering Forums
Organize & Declutter > When did you "turn the corner" from hopelessness to organized?
Delight's Avatar Delight 07:58 PM 02-13-2006
I am feeling so beat down. So angry. So cluttered. I know many of you have conquered your clutter...and I need some reassurance. I am a chronic "straightener"...but I never solve the root of my problems. I'm not looking for methods so much as maybe some inspirational stories of your light bulb moment...or turning point.

And now that you are organized...do you slide back into past habits often? That's my main problem...1 step forward and 4 back. :

Shiloh's Avatar Shiloh 11:48 PM 02-13-2006
you will pick up momentum soon trust me/
I've been at it 6 months now, and am now really not just getting rid of stuff but approaching my life, my purchases, my lifestyle in the new uncluttered way.

teh more you get rid of the less you have to tidy

but take one day, one box, one cabinet, one drawer at a time.
make it little not like one whole room, I say 25% I will say you have to get rid of 25% of the toys, the fabric stash, etc.

hmm my dh is 25% of my house that would get rid of 50% of my crap

but I thought a month tops it will be like that show...lol.
no freaking way.

its not getting rid of stuff its making new habits.
becoming the person who wouldn't have bought, brought, kept all that crap in the first place - that takes time!

or why do you think we are all not on this board for only a week or two!
old habits die hard!!! I am so proud at the stuff I have managed to become disconnnected from. Its so nice! My house now I can see more of the stuff I like, know where it is and use it.
amyamanda's Avatar amyamanda 07:21 AM 02-14-2006
I was always organized. I organized my clutter. But now I am also getting RID of my clutter and keeping my home simpler.

It happened a couple of weeks ago when we started exploring the possible future option of moving to a particular new home where we'd cut our square footage in half. It's still very much up in the air, but it gave me a scare - where would we put our stuff?!?!?! We have 2400sf and a 2-car garage and a shed. We would be moving to maybe 1000-1200sf with a 1-car garage, no shed or basement.

Then I realized that even if we don't move, it is still worth it to pare down our stuff. Once I started, it was like a snowball. I'm finding it hard to get into the garage (our main storage area) because it's soooooooo cold in there, but I'm itching to, and I try to spend a few minutes in there every day anyway (before my fingers freeze). We still don't know if we're moving or not, but if we do I want to be prepared beforehand, as much as I can. And if we stay put, well...if we wouldn't need something in a smaller house, we don't need it in this house.

In my house, I started with my kitchen and have been able to keep it significantly tidier for about two weeks (not perfect, with 4 little kids homeschooled, but relatively great). Less stuff means less time spent picking things up. My family got hit with a stomach bug this past weekend and iit only took me a morning to right the house from the mess that developed while I was sick in bed. Not a week, like it once would have. Fewer things mean it takes less time to put them away, and the results (neat and lovely living space) are more immediate. I'm finding that really hard to resist! I am calmer and feel healthier when the house is neater. I can breathe easier with less stuff around me.

Good luck finding your own incentive.
mama-meg's Avatar mama-meg 10:02 AM 02-14-2006
I actually turned the corner when my son started waking up early each morning. Before that I would stay in bed pressing the snooze button until I had no time left in the morning for anything short of tossing on whatever clothes I could find and rushing out the door. Around that time my son was also old enough to eat solids and enjoy self feeding so now while he and my daughter eat breakfast I organize. Much of it was visual for me too, its like before I would see the cutter but think "'ll have to get this later" and now if I see the clutter, even if I just sat down with a good book, I feel compelled to straighten it up.

So what worked for me was getting up and seizing the day and to some extent becoming a wee bit compulsive about decluttering. When I see old pictures of the junk all over my house I feel so embarassed and wonder what I was thinking.
Up