whats wrong with me? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-14-2006, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday sinse it was snowy i decided to work on "spring" (as in thorough??) cleaning. Well as the day wore on i relized.. jill you have to much stuff!!
You wouldnt belief the amount of clothing i have that boys have outgrown, litterally 5-6 18 gallon totes worth!! I could easily fill 4-5 totes full of toys. baby blankets? ive got at least 10 NOT including the ones ive made. ive just got so much flippen stuff!!

I went thru the house less than 6 months ago and purged big time as in i got rid of the equivalent of 10 30 gallon trash bags! Now there are some things i dont mind having "alot" or enough of ya know? my fabric stash while not crazy is very large in most peoples eyes. We all have 3 diffrent sets of bed linnens (actually sam has 5 sinse he has a bunk bed so he has 2 that match and 1 set that doesnt have a bunkie pair) i have multiples of things i use alot (like collanders and hairbrushes sinse mine always gets lost : ) But alot of this is really getting overwhelming.

i even have issues with food and buying so much of it that it ends up going to waste. but i cant stop! Truthfully besides food i really havent bought anything lately i havent used so most of it is stuff ive had for a long time but why cant i just let go? I'm not done having babies but it will be awhile before i have any more yet i cant bring myself to actually do anything with the clothes. i keep rationing that the boys will miss their toys if i weed them out to much but i KNOW they wont. i keep holding on to those little knick knacks and parers cuz i *might* need them ya know?

Am i alone here? have you passed this point? how? help!
#2 of 2 Old 02-14-2006, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When my kids started having more than they could take care of (or more than I could when they were really little), I had them pick out their favorite clothes. I said they could keep 4 pair shorts, 6 pair pants, 10 t-shirts, something like that. Then they went through and picked what they liked and I donated the rest.

I did the same thing with the stuffed animals. First we sorted out the 3 or so absolute favorites, like the ones they slept with every night. Then we stored a couple more they'd outgrown but were "special". The they chose a few to keep and the rest were donated.

Getting them to help with their own things made it easier for me since it wasn't my choice alone. And I just presented it as a fact of life. I think it was Steve Wright - the deadpan comic - who said "You can't have everything...Where would you put it?"

(That's what my husband says when MY fabric stash gets out of hand!)

The trouble for me has not been getting rid of things, but not bringing them home in the first place. Buy yourself a cup of tea or a smoothie so you can treat yourself whenever you don't buy something. That way you reinforce a new habit.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page