Inspirational Brag Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-15-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Come brag about your successes! Inspire and be inspired

I'm on the Flylady list and today there was an email from Kelly about doing a "bathroom makeover" by cleaning your bathroom as opposed to spending tons of money (that we don't have) re-doing the tile, painting, buying a new toilet that isn't salmon colored (wish I was making that up ).

I read through the entire thing and realized . . . . there's practically nothing on her list I have to do! I do have to get a new toilet seat since it cracked but other than that - nothing! I've been on Flylady for over a month now and have my cleaning schedule pretty down pat. The house is not yet completely done, but there's been progress all over and small areas (like the bathroom) are in great shape.

My bathroom counters are cleared (for the first time since the birth of my son I'm sure : ) and cleaned, the floor is swept, the shower stall is scrubbed, the toilet tank has no clutter on it, the toilet bowl is recently cleaned. Heck, even her suggestion to scrub the outside of the toilet including the bolts that hold it to the floor - DONE! Less than a week ago.

And no marathon, back breaking cleaning sessions. All of it was done little bit by little bit. I use non toxic cleaners so I do some cleaning while my son is in the tub (he's old enough I don't have to have a hand on him but young enough I still stay in the room with him). The shower stall I quickly wipe down with regular soap and my exfoliating gloves every time I take a shower (a variation on Flylady's tip to do it with a washcloth and shampoo). Because of those non-toxic cleaners (mostly baking soda) the kids help me scrub tubs and wipe down cabinet doors (we usually just use water for that!).

I was just so excited this morning when I read that email and realized that I was past that Which would NOT have been the case if I'd gotten it just two months ago!
#2 of 4 Old 02-15-2006, 04:06 PM

Today we had my youngest's play group over--eight toddlers and the odd baby or two--my mom was visiting and left in horror to bring my oldest two outside. She had had a great time, actually, but after two hours the children's room was a wreck. By the time she returned 30 minutes after the last guest left, the place was completely pulled together. How? Even though we do have more toys than the average preschool, every Duplo, every block, every truck has a home. I can race through the room with my 22 month old on my trail and get the worst tornado aftermath cleaned up in no time. In fact, when it is their mess my kids can do most of it themselves, with some cheerful encouragment and supervision (and a little bit of help.)

Happy mom to DS2000, DS2002, DD2004, DS2006 and DS 10/2009:
#3 of 4 Old 02-15-2006, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Suzie, that's been my experience too! I still think less is more but having a place for everything makes clean up SO much easier. Dinosaur? Put it in the dinosaur bin. Duplo? In the Duplo tub. No sitting there holding a toy in your hand wondering where it goes.
#4 of 4 Old 02-16-2006, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Come on people! What are you proud of? Inspire us

Yesterday I offered to host a birthday party here on Sunday. I'll have to clean the carpet and mop the kitchen floor but those are the ONLY things I'll have to do out of my normal routine. I looked like this ---> : when I realized that No more cleaning like a madwoman for a week straight to get the crap hidden in closets and the attic and whatnot (and to have the place slowly fall apart again after because I expected it to maintain itself).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page