Its Impossible - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2006, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok so today I am feeling all icky. I pick up the toys for dd and she pulls them back out as fast as I pick them up. She has too much stuff but if I get rid of anything then grandparents will notice and throw a fit.

I used to keep a clean house before I had her and now I don't hardly start on it cuz as soon as I do she either pulls everything I have picked up, back out or she throws a fit because I am not focusing my attention on her.
I NEED help.

I can't live in this mess anymore but I can't seem to get anywhere on cleaning it up either.

AHHHHHH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2006, 01:01 PM

have you thought of trying motivated moms? I just started about 2 weeks ago, but I can see a HUGE difference already leaving me time to oranize,declutter,etc.

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 02-16-2006, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

I am going to go check it out.

Here is another example.
DD loves wiggles so we watch it once a day. Well it on right now, but as soon as I start cleaning off my desk, she has to come make sure I am not throwing away anything important.
She is only 16 months but she is a pack rat. Nothing is garbage in her world
Old 02-16-2006, 01:22 PM

My kids have way too many toys too and like you Nana wouldn't be happy if the ________ disappeared even though they never play with it. Annoying. I just put lots of the toys in a closet and then rotate them out periodically. The kids think they've gotten new toys half the time. It really helped keep the mess down in the playroom. They also play much better with what they have because there isn't an overwhelming number of choices. HTH
Old 02-16-2006, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

I did pull out soem of her toys and put them up to rotate. She has most of the peak a blocks that are out there and those are currently put away. So really in our living room she has books (1 basket) play silks, her doll, a sorter and then the ball dinasaur thing from fisher price. But then she has a little ride on toy and a popper and 3 very large stuffed animals and then some misc stuff.
She is a pack rat, she doesn't want me to throw anything away, she has a purse with a key of mine on a key chain and she has bracelets and a couple necklace type things and such. She does play with 99% of the stuff, all the time so I don't really mine it, but I HATE the mess she makes.
Oh and she has a kitchen set in the dining room as well with all the stuff to go with it.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:50 PM

Hmmm...maybe a toy chest would help minimize the cluttery look in the room. You could also try making clean up a really fun game or a race so she'll get in the habit of picking things up or at least helping when it's time. I know that I really try to make the point that when something is left out to say If you're done with ____ let's put it away in the toy box so it can rest. It works very well with all the babies because they need naps too , you know.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It sounds like she has a lot toys with a bunch of pieces, which can mean 1 toy is really 20 things to pick up And it's only going to get worse!!

One day while DD was napping, I took every toy in the house and put them in the living room. I set her Noah's ark aside because it was her absolute favorite of the time. Then I took all of the toys and put them into 6 piles. I made sure that each pile had one music toy, one stuffed animal, one educational, one pull toy, one dress-up item, etc. and most important - one toy with lots of little pieces. This way, it'd be way less to pick up. I was tired of picking up 30 blocks, 10 sorter pieces, 20 puzzle pieces, 40 zoo animals, etc. all at the same time, and figuring out what piece goes with what. I tried to make each pile equal. Then I bagged them up and put a number on the outside of the bag. Each week, she'd get the next bag, and the previous weeks was put back in the closet.

I started this when she 18mo and she's now 2.5. She gets so excited when I bring out a new bag. Some stuff is "new" to her or she remembers a toy and is happy to have it back. This method also helps me weed out what she really doesn't play with or is too old for.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 02-16-2006, 03:04 PM

I love Kannan99's idea.

I do my decluttering when my children are asleep. My 12 month old also likes to have whatever I'm holding! They are so silly at this age, aren't they? Have you invested in storage containers? A sweater divider that hangs in the closet is an inexpensive way to store toys and you can rotate those toys as often as you like. Not all the toys have to be out all the time. Stores like Pottery Barn and Target offer a wide variety of baskets and other storage options that could help.

Good luck! It can be done!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:14 PM

I love the rotating idea of Kannon99's. It's much more organized than our rotating

We just swap the entire batch of toys with what is stored underneath and inside her crib (great toy storage and napping area ) and always have out the blocks and musical instruments and books (although we rotate the books, and occassionally hide one or two, ie the wheels on the bus after 500 times reading it in one day ).

We have a tiny tiny tiny house (850sf) and we made room for her toys in the livingroom by giving her 4 shelves. We have two big bookshelves and the bottom 2 shelves on each are for her. The very bottom of each one has a couple baskets and boxes with containers for a couple different types of toys. The 2nd shelf of each one has all her books except for some that sit on the coffee table. We have one other spot in the livingroom with a big basket full of toys tucked away under a table. It's usually pretty easy to deal with everything b/c it all tucks away under the table and into the shelves.

Also, I dont think 16 mos is too young to ask them to help clean with you a little. It's not very efficient, but dd is almost 17 mos and she helps clean up in the evening before bedtime. I just get out the containers for whatever toys need to be cleaned up and ask her to put things in the containers one by one. We sing the song too
"Clean up, clean up, everybody everywhere
Clean up, clean up, everybody do your share"

Oh, and sometimes if the grandparents are open to it, it's nice to have toys that are special b/c you play with them only at granma and granpa's

good luck, clutter busting can make anyone i know that's how i feel these days!
Old 02-16-2006, 06:24 PM

We sing the cleanup song too.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh dd is good about helping pick up when we are picking up before bed, but if I want to get things picked up so I can vacuum that is a totally different story.
She does have a lot of toys with mutiple pieces which makes it tough but I have to figure out a system that will work for us and get it under control. As it is we keep part of her toys in her room and part in the living room so that she has stuff to play with when we go upstairs and stuff for downstairs. I think a big part of the problem too is that we live in a small house than I have had in 5 years so you get accostome to the size as well.
Thanks for all the suggestions tho
Old 02-16-2006, 09:28 PM

We do the clean up song, too I am sick of it, too! So decided to do the toy rotate thing too (plus, you can give some toys away and just tell Nana that it's in another rotating box : ). Shhh... don't tell! Now my girls get ONE box upstairs. The rest are in the basement.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:27 PM

We were battling the same problem until just recently. I'm just too pregnant to be picking up piles and piles of little pieces to things So we are rotating toys and I got rid of the things that she didn't play with, etc. Also, we are working on her helping with cleanup time more, which she thinks is a great game

I also want to second the recommendation for Motivated Moms. I started at the beginning of the year and my house is amazingly different, easy to care for and not stressful to me anymore (minus this last week of illness and not being able to get anything done ). MM makes it seem like you just have to do a couple things each day (I can easily get through while dd is eating breakfast usually) but the results are incredible. I'm not embarrassed to have someone stop by my house, even on a 'bad' day even! I'm finding I have more time to spend with my dd instead of cleaning, more time to work on projects such as crafts and also more time to work on in-depth cleaning that I normally just ignore.

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

Old 02-17-2006, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ok I am thinking about doing mm's and seeing what I think of that. I hated flylady because of all the emails, I didn't need more to go through in my inbox every day.

I did go through and rotate toys tonight, put some stuff in her room and brought some different stuff back downstairs. We have both places to play so that we have options, plus that way she has something to do while I try to get laundry put away etc.

But can you believe I have put away 3 large totes of toys just since Christmas? That to me is insane. But it is stuff that we want to hang onto at this time. All her peakablocks are put away so that we can rotate them out later.

But then so are her wooden blocks and legos at this time, but she wasn't playing with them so we will get them out later this year.
I also pulled out some stuff for going outdoors when summer hits.

Hugs
Jessica

User Tag List