Salvation Army? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in a decluttering frenzy and was thinking of having a salvation army pick-up my misc items. Who has done this and what are your thoughts on it? Is it worth it? Any reason for me not to?
#2 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 07:49 PM

Hey~you're not far from me! I'm in Montgomery.

I've had them pick up stuff before. You just leave it out on your porch and they come and get it. They will leave a receipt in your mailbox or door for tax write-off purposes.

I've also had Am-Vets pick up stuff before.

Saves me a trip to the donation site!

#3 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 08:52 PM

I've done it once. I had a couch and a headboard to donate and they offered to come out with their truck and get it, since I had no way to transport it to them (small car). If you have more than a trunkload of items, I would say definitely do it. If it's just a couple bags, though, it wouldn't be something I would personally do because I would be afraid that the gas and time expense to them to bring a huge truck all the way out would completely negate the profit they would make off my items.

The Disabled American Veterans group in my area has a monthly pickup route that they run. They call me a week beforehand to see if I have anything and I don't feel bad about putting out just a box or two for that since they are already using the gas. Maybe the DAV in your area has something similar?
#4 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 11:01 PM

We get postcards from these types of groups on a weekly basis. If we have stuff to go out, we give them a call and arrange a pickup. Like pp said, they're running a route at that point not making a special trip so volume isn't an issue. Or we'll answer the solicitation calls and arrange the pickup, same thing they're running a route. For us it's worked out great, we're much more likely to actually get rid of our donation stuff. Otherwise it sits around waiting for one of us to actually drop it off.
#5 of 6 Old 02-26-2006, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

Good points I hadn't thought of. Apparently the Salvation Army truck is out of Chicago so I'll have to think on that one. Perhaps when I call make sure its cuz they're out on a route and not just for my stuff. I only have a few boxes but I don't have the time to run them out to the local Goodwill which is the closest place, at least not for a few weeks. Maybe some of the other groups have a more local pick up truck.

Thanks for the thoughts!
#6 of 6 Old 02-26-2006, 07:29 PM
Banned

....or if you are friendly with any of your neighbors (even a little) ...what about asking them too? For instance, go to joe neighbor and say "I was going to have goodwill pick up some of my old things and while they were here I was wondering if you wanted to put anything outside too"

I would think unless they think you are running a scam that your neighbors probably have some things they would leave out too so you could tell the goodwill driver "okay house 112, 114, and 122 will have boxes" or whatever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page