Guilt about other peoples 'collections'.... help ;) action figures... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-01-2006, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay someone help me ds has almost the entire set of rescue heroes..

I have an overwhelming desire to pair it down to the 5 person crew...from the battleship destroyer, the animals, the boats, the mountain tower...3-4 billy blazes..

But I feel guilty...of course he doesn't play with them often (they have small pieces so the baby can't get at them I put the set in his room and now he doesn't go there to play)

also he has the little tikes tool set I want to donate it.

then there's dh's useless collections... okay so I did throw away half of his wok pen collection whooo a microsoft pen, whooo a ibm pen...

8 might be enough
#2 of 13 Old 03-01-2006, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh
then there's dh's useless collections... okay so I did throw away half of his wok pen collection whooo a microsoft pen, whooo a ibm pen...
I guess I don't understand what the point is of taking your DH's stuff and throwing it into the landfill.

As for your child's toys, aren't they his toys? Perhaps you can have a garage/yard sale in the summer or ask him if he would like to donate his items to children less fortunate, but I'm personally against just chucking out a child's toys. And since your DS has a younger sibling who would probably enjoy playing with the toys in a year or two, perhaps you could just store some of them away, pull them out occasionally or just save them for your youngest child?
#3 of 13 Old 03-03-2006, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

I use green garbage bags to donate to salvation army, anything useable.
Sorry I use throw away, chuck, toss to denote 'giving'. If I think anyone could use anything I donate it, if its broken, unsafe I throw out.
Or if its obscure I freecycle as I don't like to think of things going to waste.

Quote:
I guess I don't understand what the point is of taking your DH's stuff and throwing it into the landfill.
Quote:
As for your child's toys, aren't they his toys? Perhaps you can have a garage/yard sale in the summer or ask him if he would like to donate his items to children less fortunate, but I'm personally against just chucking out a child's toys.
No I don't throw toys away! Unless like I said they are unsafe or broken and I cannot repair them.

Quote:
And since your DS has a younger sibling who would probably enjoy playing with the toys in a year or two, perhaps you could just store some of them away, pull them out occasionally or just save them for your youngest child?
I think I may have understated how many toys we have managed to accumulate most second hand ourselves

8 might be enough
#4 of 13 Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 PM

I dont get rid of someone collections.

I do however clean out obviuos junk/garbage.

But IMO a collection is personal.
#5 of 13 Old 03-03-2006, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Okay I feel better as the collection is huge and his friend came over today and had a ball playing with his set....so I guess the rescue heros stay..

But collections can get out of hand and take up space..
I guess I can only control what isn't close to the heart of them!

8 might be enough
#6 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 04:39 AM

I'm not against chucking children's toys. They get soooo many GIVEN to them. They don't have a choice in the matter- and they get overwhelmed if they have too much. In fact, everyone gets overwhelmed. I think it's our job to make those decisions. When my kids have a few quality toys they cherish them and play with them a ton. When they have too many they get bored and overstimulated. I say donate.
#7 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I remember when my mother threw away some of my toys she thought I didn't care about. I'm still mad about it today, and even bought some of them back from Ebay. I'd ask your family members, even your children before taking their stuff away.

With that being said, I do box up toys and put them in the garage. They can go out there every so often and bring in stuff they want to play with. Baby toys and stuff they're not interested in we 'give to other little kids who don't have any toys to play with'.

And with dh? Mine collects ratty tee shirts. Oh, what do I care. They're not taking up MY space... and for some reason they mean as much to him as my size 8 Jones New York suits do to me, that I'll never ever ever wear again, but like to look at now and then.
#8 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 09:30 AM
Banned

Your post made me laugh Rebecca! My husband collects ratty teeshirts too! I thought I was the only one suffering with this particular odd collection LOL!

About toys - my MIL saved EVERY toy her children ever had. In some ways, its really nice, my kids play with them at her house, etc......BUT! Now she wants my husband to take all of the toys that used to be his - he is a pat-rack and having all of this junk accessible is BAD! Now my tiny little apartment is FULL of crappy old toys that were my husband's as a child.

For that reason, I will not save one single toy of my kids'. Not one.
#9 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyJulian89
I will not save one single toy of my kids'.
To the OP I don't care about my children's collections but I ask that they not strew the house with them! (I mean I don't want stuff under the table and by the front door and on the kitchen counters, etc.)

Best wishes!

We're homeschoolers and we have more stuff that I thought possible! LOL! My children are 9 1/2, 8 1/2, 6 1/2, and 3 and it's hard not to save something for the younger ones! I try to keep them neatly stored (like clothes and toys for instance).
#10 of 13 Old 07-07-2006, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well he finally agreed and we are getting rid of the toys that take away imagination and he can keep the figures but doesn't need the play sets (*usually they use the couch) we are moving to NJ this fall so it will help with the collection issues.

now on to dh

8 might be enough
#11 of 13 Old 07-09-2006, 02:45 AM

Just curious, how are they stored? I find that if I store toys in a plastic, see-through bin, I feel much better about keeping it (since it's put away, and kept nice and tidy.)

I know RH are huge to begin with. I am just wondering how they are stored.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
#12 of 13 Old 07-09-2006, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

lol i have two large bookcases from ikea that are double deep I have cases for them all, and some stray stuff goes on top, its all really organized as it is but doesn't leave room for more and we have too much I'd like to leave wiggle room and get them down to what they need.

8 might be enough
#13 of 13 Old 07-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca
And with dh? Mine collects ratty tee shirts. Oh, what do I care. They're not taking up MY space... and for some reason they mean as much to him as my size 8 Jones New York suits do to me, that I'll never ever ever wear again, but like to look at now and then.
MINE TOO! A whole drawer full. ONce, early in our marriage, I used one for a dust cloth. Oooooh, boy, that was NOT a popular idea. Now, I jsut leave em alone. Honestly, he hasn't opened the drawer they arein for at least 10 years, but they're his and I leave em.

For the collections, I use big rubbermaid type containers. They stack, are neat, and the kids like to have LOTS of something.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page