MARCH Declutter Challenge! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2006, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i went through two closets yesterday. not quite done with them, but decluttered another 95 items. because i have so much less stuff, i'll be able to get rid of some furniture that's been holding it all, which will finally give us enough room for a playroom for ds/office for us!

equally big, i convinced dh to go through his stuff and truly declutter!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2006, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

So, I don't think the kitchen was one of my original target areas, but while DD was napping this morning, I started to gather food pantry donations. Here's the list from 3 cabinets thus far:

15 old food/spices tossed
8 spice containers going to Mom
22 food items going to food pantry
2 jars peppercorns to Mom (I had 4 )
2 dog items tossed

So: 125 + 49 = 174

Only 26 items to go! I think I may raise my goal...

for all of us this month!!!!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:15 PM

Decluttered our kitchen cabinets and threw out some expired canned goods.. 10 or so.. freecycled a snowsuit.. sent a trash bag FULL of clothes to Goodwill.
I think I'm up to about 50 or so.. lots more to go, but I'm getting there!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 03-18-2006, 08:42 PM

Well,

Did some of my closet today and then got rid of a couple of other random things in the house.

35 pieces of clothing
1 old jar of pickled eggs (dh's not mine )
1 old sippy cup
1 plastic container
2 old tins
2 boxes from small appliances we have had for over a year (not sure why we kept them)

total today: 42 + 90 = 132
Old 03-18-2006, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Cleaned out one of the catch-all drawer in the bathroom:

14 hotel shampoos, conditioners, mouthwashes, etc.

Why was I saving these again?? :

So my total is now 174 + 14 = 188

Looks like our garage sale won't be until April now...
Old 03-19-2006, 01:49 AM

I've just started major decluttering, so I have a lot of items I'd like to get rid of. I recycled a bunch of old mail today, and created a box for my children's art work.

I'm focusing on:

1. Kitchen
2. Master bedroom where dh, I and our 3 daughters (almost 2 and 4 month old twins) live.
3 ds's room - primarily toys

The month is over half way over, but my goal is 250 items

I'll count all the mail as 20 pieces. I have a freecylcer coming to get 6 items, so 26 so far!
Old 03-19-2006, 08:42 AM

I'm now up to 224. Still have 276 to get to my goal. I decluttered dd's clothes some. I still need to purge more, she has way too much. Went through the fridge and was happy that I didn't have to throw out as much food as I usually do. We've been doing better about that at least.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
Old 03-19-2006, 05:17 PM

I just went through 3 of the utensil/junk drawers in the kitchen. Between the 3 drawers I tossed
8 broken utensils,
5 cruddy straws,
1 bag of hard as a rock mini-marshmallows (goodness knows how long those were buried in there),
3 out of ink pens,
4 old plastic place mats that were beyond saving,
3 wires to cell phones we no longer own,
2 mystery keys,
1 chop stick,
assorted wrappers, tags, and misc.

Best of all-I made room to get a gadget or 2 off the counter and found 2 screwdrivers which I put back where they belong.

Still a lot more to do in the kitchen but this was a good start. Between cleaning out the closets in our bedroom and these 3 drawers I met my goal of 200 but I still have a ways to go so I am going to try to get more done before March is over.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
Old 03-19-2006, 05:18 PM

oops. double post.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:02 PM

Cleaned out the front hall closet and decluttered a couple other small spots while I was doing my regular cleaning today.

27 more pieces of clothing to charity
2 old stickups from the closet
1 pen
1 watch that doesn't work
1 candle
1 pr really old running shoes
1 hair band
1 bowl of pinecones that dd collected that are so old they keep flaking all over my house
2 broken video tapes in the garbage

Total: 37 items + 132 = 169

My goal is 200 but I am going to keep going if I can!
Old 03-19-2006, 06:32 PM

OK. This is perfect timing. I was home sick all last week (m/s + a really bad cold) and started getting rid of things. We have a small 3 bedroom, 1 bath house. Need to empty out 1 bedroom - currently my "office" to make into a nursery (1st baby due in 6 mos)
I didn't count items - but have 2 giant hefty bags filled with clothes, shoes, purses and a bag of books loaded in my car to drop off at Salvation Army this week. Probably at least 100 items...
Lots more to go!
Main challenges - 1000's of photos jumbled decades crammed in several boxes, also grad school stuff (graduated but hanging on to...), and the garage - which I won't attempt until the weather warms up. Also, my husband is a "collector" - has stuff from grade school!
Goal: the office/nursery... by the end of the month?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:26 PM

I threw out an entire BIG trash sack of old food and random crap that had accumulated in my kitchen. I am so thrilled with the results. There only two small baskets, 1 cupboard and 3 small drawers left to declutter in my kitchen!!!

I feel like a new person. Its in describable. My living room and dining area are almost finished too. I can't wait for my whole house to feel like my kitchen/dining area and L-room.

I didn't count items, but I'm sure I have or will excede my goal of 250 items.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:30 PM

Got to do 2 pantry cabinets in the kitchen.
Tossed 2 jars of old spices
Combined open jars of same spices so I was able to toss 6 more bottles.
Made the discovery that I have 3 jars of Thyme, 2 oregano, and 2 basil (all open).
Tossed 2 antique open bags of rice and one of barley that were all the way in the back.
Transferred a bunch of beans to my new glass storage jars (I love the container store)
And managed to fill 3 large garbage bags with assorted broken toys, misc. mail, and assorted garbage that my dh leaves on the counter (2 paces from the garbage can).
I feel so good.

Old 03-20-2006, 05:01 PM

All of you are doing such a great job!

I'm about to get off my rear and tackle the kitchen. I have a few old teflon pans that we don't use anymore, so I don't even know why I still have them. Ohh... so much more to do

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 03-21-2006, 04:14 AM

I'll join in as well. 50 items sounds to me like a good goal. I don't doubt I'll end up with more though.

My goal areas are:
My 2 closets
Bathroom
Kitchen

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
Old 03-21-2006, 04:25 AM

This is fantastic! I plan to paint the baby's room,build shelves,steam clean the carpets and work on selling more things on ebay. My aunt and I are in a competition to see who can get thier purple star. That's 500 feedback or more. Whoohoo!
Old 03-21-2006, 04:24 PM

2 more items gone.
Shipped off the Little People Farm that my children have outgrown to another MDC Mama and shipped off 1 book.
It's driving me nuts that I keep getting rid of things yet it does not look like I have even made a dent.

Old 03-21-2006, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Made my food pantry donation today:
2 diaper bags a freecycler never picked up :
14 misc baby items (1/2 box nursing pads, toys, medela milk stoage bottles, etc)
15 frozen food items
(plus the other bag of food - I already counted that in my pp)

Plus, my sister is coming by to get 3 shirts, 3 suit hangers, a down comforter, sheet set and possibly some other clothes -- we'll see.

188 + 39 = 227 :
Old 03-21-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewb
It's driving me nuts that I keep getting rid of things yet it does not look like I have even made a dent.
Me, too I'm trying to stay positive, though.. hopefully it will start to look better soon! I would love to just have extra SPACE!

Old 03-21-2006, 08:40 PM

Someone mentioned their freecycle give-aways weren't picked up.. how long do you usually give the person to show up? I offered some shirts and they were supposed to be gone this morning, but they're still sitting on my porch I don't have the woman's e-mail address anymore..

Old 03-22-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2babybeans
Someone mentioned their freecycle give-aways weren't picked up.. how long do you usually give the person to show up? I offered some shirts and they were supposed to be gone this morning, but they're still sitting on my porch I don't have the woman's e-mail address anymore..
Well, DH says I'm too nice, but I usually do three strikes and you're out (unless we agreed that an item *had* to be picked up by a certain date).

Sadly, in my area, it seems folks only show up 50% of the time : So, I've been taking items to our local thrift shop (benefits the hospital and is a tax write off for me).
Old 03-22-2006, 06:06 PM

I organized 2 bookcases but really didn't throw out much. I did go through a few drawers and throw out old clothes that are too stained to save or donate or sell. Maybe 10 items. I still feel VERY cluttered though. dh will be out of town next week and I'm planning to tackle more then.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:03 PM

I'm in! I try to declutter each season. Mostly because I shift winter clothes into hiding and bring out the warm weather stuff. IF I'm lucky, most of it still fits! And of course there are the clothes my daughter outgrows which usually go to consignment. But I've noticed lately that our little apartment is starting to get a little cluttered with stuff that we SO don't need!

This is good time to start because I'm moving some rooms around this month. I'm turning my daughter's bedroom (which she doesn't sleep in) into a playroom/office. I'll have to really overhaul my bedroom to make room for her bed & dresser (since she says she'll sleep in her bed in my room but not in her room alone). I can easily remove 200 things from my house!!

Lisa mom to Gillian (7) : and three : :
Old 03-24-2006, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam
Jessica:
Way off topic, but Happy Birthday to your little guy My DD was just one on Tuesday
Thank you!!! And happy belated birthday to your DD!!

Well I've definitely been slacking for the past week or so. We went out of town for the weekend for DS's bday and I just haven't gotten any motivation...but we just found out we're moving at the end of the month so I gotta' get myself together!

I donated 4 brand new outfits that Collin got as gifts and I know he'll never wear to a local domestic violence shelter.
I also threw out an old scarf.

Total: 23
Goal: 150
Old 03-24-2006, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin'sMama
I donated 4 brand new outfits that Collin got as gifts and I know he'll never wear to a local domestic violence shelter.
I also threw out an old scarf.

Total: 23
Goal: 150
What a sweet thing to do! That must have made you feel good, too

Old 03-25-2006, 06:11 PM

2 more bags of garbage gone. I decided to tackle the pantry shelves in the garage. What a mess. 1 shelf done along with the space underneath it. I found old curtain rods, a broken toilet seat (why wouldn't we throw that out when we replaced it?), ancient canned goods, etc. I also poured out a dozen bottles/cans of skunked beer.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:15 PM

It is a busy weekend so I haven't done much. Just tossed a few things as I was tidying up.

4 old spices
1 old spice rack
3 things sold on ebay
3 sippy cups
4 old sippy cup parts
1 tupperware bowl

169 + 16 = 185

Well at least it looks like I will get to my goal for the month
Old 03-29-2006, 01:49 AM

OK, I quit keeping count today, but I definitely reached and surpassed my goal. I've been packing for the move on Saturday and have gotten rid of a ton of things (but *SIGH* still have a ton left to go through).

We donated a HUGE box of clothes and a garbage bag full of clothes to a thrift shop.
I finally threw away the parts of the $300 crib I bought and never used and let get too scratched up to sell...
Threw away 4 garbage bag of JUNK.
Cleaned out the spare room that still had a ton of my sister's things in it from when she lived with us.....returned her stuff to her.

I also have a garbage bag full of toys, an old walker, about 10 books and other miscellaneous household things to bring to the thrift stores tomorrow.

I am feeling so much better, but we still have TOO MUCH STUFF!
Old 03-29-2006, 03:50 AM

Wow mama you did a lot. Keep going! There are so many things out there that you would never think of! I have two worn once formal dresses that I'm going to donate to this prom place near my area so teens can afford to go to prom. I went though all of my Cd's and either sold then ones I havent listened to lately or donated them. Did I really need that George Michael Cd? Or those A-ha cd's? I also donated most of my tapes and kept a few of my fav. Some you can't even find on CD so I had to keep those.
I have my husband also going though his stuff and we have donated quite a few things from the office. I had old papers from school ( like 10 years ago) threw them away. That felt really good. I still have more to do and I'm so glad there is this thread to get me going! We are planning on donating a dresser and a 4 drawer file cabinet and get a two drawer instead. Next I'm going to help my friend do a clean sweep at her house. I'm really excited. I'm also giving her a bookshelf so that will make me feel good.
cheers!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Seems like everyone's been pretty busy (except me, of course !)

Anyway, I returned a pair of sneakers MIL got me for Christmas (and I know I'll never wear). DH likes the shoe store, so I'll give him the store credit

I've been moving items to the garage to get ready for our yard sale next month. But, I won't count anything until it's gone for good

User Tag List