No Plastic- Where do you draw the line? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 03-07-2006, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I see some of you identify yourselves as "no plastic" mamas. What does this mean? How no plastic are you? Dh and I really dislike plastic stuff, and try not to import anymore of it into our home. But so many things just are made of plastic- and it seems there is not another option. What to do?

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 03-07-2006, 04:10 PM

interesting question.

what about tupperware?
#3 of 41 Old 03-08-2006, 12:21 AM

I'm not completely anti-plastic and have a good amount of it in my house, but I can think of replacements for pretty much all of it EXCEPT for appliances. I'd have a really hard time finding a baby monitor/ computer/ vacuum cleaner/ refrigerator/ etc. without plastic. What other sorts of things were you thinking of?
#4 of 41 Old 03-08-2006, 12:45 AM

its great that most non-plastic alternatives are at thrift stores...since nearly plastic-free kitchens/homes arent too deep in the past and plastic-free alternatives are usually cheaper than plastic new ones when bought that way. but in agreement with the srain, appliances and the like are just plastic. and if you wanna play the game, you gotta do it their way.

certain plastic things have stayed around here, even if i feel icky about them....sippy cups for travel, ziploc bags here and there....some fleece diaper covers. small appliances are a bit easier since you dont need half of them, and the other half usually have alternatives. I couldnt find a waffle maker (dh for some odd reason loves to make and eat waffles) without tefflon and plastic till i went to the thrift store and this amazing one thats all metal was to be had for a couple dollars. works great.

but ball canning jars come in lots of sizes and make great storage containers for bulk goods and leftover foods/frozen stuff, etc.....and they are WAY cheaper than any tupperware...I can get a dozen for just a few dollars at a discount homewares store.

i find baskets in thrift for storage instead of rubbermaid tubs, or cardboard boxes for stackables...but i do use plastic flippers since metal scrapes my cast iron up too much. maybe wood flippers? anyone use those? do they even HAVE those, lol?

I dont stress about it, I just try not to bring anything new into the house thats plastic, which really helps with not bringing anything new into the house-period
are you having a problem with replacing certain things? post them up and lets see if we can collectively come up with some more earth and people friendly alternatives!
#5 of 41 Old 03-08-2006, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srain
I'm not completely anti-plastic and have a good amount of it in my house, but I can think of replacements for pretty much all of it EXCEPT for appliances. I'd have a really hard time finding a baby monitor/ computer/ vacuum cleaner/ refrigerator/ etc. without plastic. What other sorts of things were you thinking of?

Same here. It's tough to find alternatives sometimes, but some creative thinking usually works. If I'm having trouble avoiding plastic, I ask myself what folks used before there was plastic.

We use lots of glass for kitchen storage, baskets, and cloth bags around the house etc.

I'd be happy to give you specifics...
#6 of 41 Old 03-10-2006, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for your ummm... philosophy on plastic in your home. I mean did you go through and get rid of a bunch of plastic things(tupperware, toys, polyester clothing)? I guess the idea of no plastic is just dawning on me and I'm curious for a little "glimpse" into your homes.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#7 of 41 Old 03-10-2006, 04:01 AM

I try to minimise the amount of plastic in our home, it has been more of a gradual thing, if I need to replace something I just try to make sure I buy a non-plastic version.
#8 of 41 Old 03-11-2006, 07:34 PM

I got rid of all the plastic kitchen items...drinking and eating from plastic is something I avoid as much as possible, it especially concerns me for dd who is still developing. I use glass water jugs and will spend more money on food that is packaged in glass.

plastic toys are also the other thing I cleared out...she probably has a couple little things that have creeped in but overall we have very little plastic.

I use fleece diaper covers though, its interesting...I never thought of them as plastic although I only like to wear natural fiber clothing...I didnt have good luck with other types of covers and she is almost out of diapers now anyway.

you cant completely escape plastic but you can definitely decrease usage by a lot with some effort...it seemed like a daunting task at first but its really not that difficult.

dust.gif
#9 of 41 Old 03-11-2006, 07:43 PM

I have wooden turners/spatulas/whatevertheyare. They are bamboo and I bought them from Pampered Chef. I would guess they sell them other places too, but I live pretty far away from any store that might carry something like that.

Other than that, I have loads of plastic in my house *sigh*

Does anyone have experience with canvas shower curtains? I would like to buy one, but someone told me they are not very waterproof?

The Tabbie Family; DH , DS , DD , a few :, a couple : and me.
#10 of 41 Old 03-11-2006, 07:58 PM

i have a cotton shower curtian that works fine with no liner, thats another thing i dont want in my home, vinyl, yuck.

dust.gif
#11 of 41 Old 03-11-2006, 08:02 PM

We have no plastic dishes, cups or silver.

We still have Toys and totes, some hangers..........

Geesh, now that I think about it, we are still pretty plastic. Ask me again at the end of summer, hopefully I'll be able to give a better answer.

Sarah
#12 of 41 Old 03-13-2006, 02:19 AM

Someone educate me....what are the problems w/ having plastic in the home??

TIA!!
#13 of 41 Old 03-13-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin'sMama

TIA!!
Partially environmental, partially mind set.

We are trying not to lead a disposable life. I don't like the idea of having things that can get germy and will just end up in a landfill. There is no personality or style to it. In a nut shell, it's not *classy*

I am trying to teach the children that they are better than "that" and can use real big people things. It teaches them to be careful and gentle with our possetions.

Avoiding plastic as a rule, keeps me from cluttering out lives with cheap stuff. It makes me think twice while in a store and I save quite a bit of money that way.

Sarah
#14 of 41 Old 03-13-2006, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissybug
I guess I'm just trying to get a feel for your ummm... philosophy on plastic in your home. I mean did you go through and get rid of a bunch of plastic things(tupperware, toys, polyester clothing)? I guess the idea of no plastic is just dawning on me and I'm curious for a little "glimpse" into your homes.

I grew up in a "non plastic" home. I have no idea how my mom and dad came to that position, as it was in place my whole life. I think that maybe my dad's very poor home life as a child and my mother's very fortunate home life might have played a role as my father's family could not afford it and my mother's had enough money to avoid it ???

On my own, I departed from my upbringing and lead a rather mainstream life for awhile including most of the "stuff" that comes with it.

I made a conscious decision about 2 years ago, when I looked around and watched the behaviors that were supported by the feeling of indestructibility that plastics gave the children. (tossing dishes, stepping on toys, banging and hitting....)

I started with a giant one week purge of all things plastic in the kitchen, and moved slowly through the house. I have hit a road block where in most of my organizational tools are plastic such as bins and totes. Also, at this point wooden hangars are a bit cost prohibitive so I will wait at bit before I continue my purge!
#15 of 41 Old 03-13-2006, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collin'sMama

TIA!!

In addition to the biodegradability and disposability concerns, I also have a "foreign policy" issue with plastic. Plastic is a product of the petroleum industry. In other words, less plastic usage= less petroleum usage= less dependance on the Middle East.

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#16 of 41 Old 03-14-2006, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelMel
but i do use plastic flippers since metal scrapes my cast iron up too much. maybe wood flippers? anyone use those? do they even HAVE those, lol?
What about silicone? Silicone is glass based and comes in tons of great colors.

Mom to (5) (9)
#17 of 41 Old 03-15-2006, 09:04 PM

I have started to throw out or donate plastic junk (toys) that I find that never get played with. I reuse yogurt containers, etc. But I can't imagine going completely free. Computers are plasic. My storage bins are mostly plastic, but I am slowely switching to basket as I can afford it. I have never thought about switching out my spatulas, etc. I would like to do wood, but isn't that wasteful of a tree as well? I always burned dh wood mixing spoons, and silicone seems to work great, but I just don't know where to draw the line. I use recycled bags from Wild Oats for ds and dh lunch on the mountain. They seem to lose everything in the lodege and buying a new lunch box every weekend seems wasteful as well.

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#18 of 41 Old 03-16-2006, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToKandE
What about silicone? Silicone is glass based and comes in tons of great colors.
glass based ?

wow, interesting

dust.gif
#19 of 41 Old 03-16-2006, 02:50 AM
Banned

Silicone is glass based and comes in tons of great colors.

You mean I've been shoving glass up my vagina (Diva Cup)??????
#20 of 41 Old 03-16-2006, 02:57 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
And on top of all the other reasons listed, I avoid plastics because I fear they are or may be carcinogens. I've read even in mainstream news sources that we should never cook things in plastic in the microwave due to carcinogens from the plastic leaking into our foods. I'm so cancer-phobic, I'm trying to stayt away from as many things that even might be carcinogenic (is that a word?) as I can.

That being said, I've only recently started liberating the plastics from my home, & this thread was so helpful because I was stuck on the Tupperware thing. I read the pp's canning jar suggestion & went "duh!" What a great idea! I'm going to have to get a bunch of those.....

I get very, very stuck on baby toys though. I thrift store shop for most of my kids stuff & can bring home a great haul of fun toys for pennies on the dollar what they'd go for new-- but they're nearly all plastic!! I just haven't yet figured out what to use instead, short of buying the zillion dollar wood toys from the fancy organic wooden baby toy companies. I guess that may deserve a thread of its own though.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#21 of 41 Old 03-16-2006, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel

i thought you were going to say something else...until I read the (diva cup) part

zjande~

some thoughts...

toys r us has some affordable natural wooden toys...you can find them here and there in the thrift stores also...I've found some nice deals on ebay. If you have family who likes to buy the kids gifts you can let them know you would prefer no plastic and point them to catalogs or online stores w/ wooden toys.

dust.gif
#22 of 41 Old 03-16-2006, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne
In addition to the biodegradability and disposability concerns, I also have a "foreign policy" issue with plastic. Plastic is a product of the petroleum industry. In other words, less plastic usage= less petroleum usage= less dependance on the Middle East.

Are all plastics made from petroleum, or is there some way to make them without using petroleum (other than the fuel used to run the factories)?

If so, I had no idea...

In our house we use some plastic, but when I can choose a reasonable non-plastic alternative I do.

Amanda, mom to Everest (12), Alden (10-1/2), Ellery (7-1/2), & Avery (6)
#23 of 41 Old 03-16-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Sweeties1Angel

LOL, I guess so but I'd rather not think about it that way!

I went looking for more info and found some on this site: http://www.dld123.com/q&a/qandatemp.php?id=Q24 Looks like silicone won't biodegrade but it is inert, won't transfer anything to food, doesn't produce hazerdous waste, and can be recycled.

If you'd rather use wooden tools here's a site with some made from reclaimed wood and bamboo: http://www.greenfeet.com/kitchen-utensils.html

I'm trying to slowly reduce the amount of plastic we use. I don't think I'll get rid of it completely but as things wear out I'm trying to replace them with non-plastic alternatives.

Andrea

Mom to (5) (9)
#24 of 41 Old 03-16-2006, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissybug
We avoid plastic for health and environmental reasons, like many of the previous posters mentioned.

Our kitchen is nearly plastic and completely teflon free. I do keep some tupperware to store the dogs' food when we travel.

My guidelines for DD's toys: Since she still puts EVERYTHING in her mouth, if the toy is more than 10% plastic, she doesn't get it. So, she does have a few plush toys with plastic rings for attachment.

So much is plastic, it is difficult to avoid, however, we make sure that anything new (or new to us!) that comes into the house has as little plastic as possible, or is at least able to be recycled.

Thanks for the silicone links too. I was wondering about silicone bakeware (replacing my teflon...)
#25 of 41 Old 03-17-2006, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam
We avoid plastic for health and environmental reasons, like many of the previous posters mentioned.

My guidelines for DD's toys: Since she still puts EVERYTHING in her mouth, if the toy is more than 10% plastic, she doesn't get it. So, she does have a few plush toys with plastic rings for attachment.
Are the plush toys made of all natural fibers? and stuffed with all natural fibers? Most plush toys are made of polyester, which is "next of kin" to plastic. (Polyester is also a petroleum product, and has similar issues to plastic... )

Visit www.evolutiontosimplicity.blogspot.com to follow my epic saga of single mummahood....

#26 of 41 Old 03-18-2006, 02:34 AM

We try to avoid plastics, primarily for health reasons. Our baby stuff is all natural, and the fibers are organic cotton for the most part (but we quickly return any plastic or polyester gifts!). Our kitchen is mostly plastic-free, and we just generally try to avoid plastic when we can.

One thing I am having a really hard time finding is a sippy-cup alternative. My 6m old DD loves to drink out of a glass, and I don't mind holding it for her, but I think eventually I'd like to get her her own cup. Has anyone here found a non-plastic alternative? I'm hoping for a glass or wood cup with a latex or silicone top... Wishful thinking...?
#27 of 41 Old 03-19-2006, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kateana
One thing I am having a really hard time finding is a sippy-cup alternative.
You can get a kid-sized stainless steel (no nickel leaches out) bottle with a sport top (like on bottled water) at Greenfeet.com. The new kid-sized ones are 18 oz., I believe.

This thread is reminding me to get proactive about this in my kitchen again! Pervasive plastic creeps in so easily. The kitchen is the place where it makes the most biological impact, I guess, so that's my focus.
#28 of 41 Old 03-21-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathirynne
Are the plush toys made of all natural fibers? and stuffed with all natural fibers? Most plush toys are made of polyester, which is "next of kin" to plastic. (Polyester is also a petroleum product, and has similar issues to plastic... )
Yes, but we this is where we have chosen to "draw the line" so to speak. She has organic cotton dolls and animals stuffed with wool - and trust me, I encourage her to play with those the most, but I think the benefit of cloth books and dolls outweighs the risks (IMHO).
#29 of 41 Old 03-21-2006, 11:02 PM

what irks me is the amount of plastic that is used to package food. I try to make as much from scratch as possible and I buy alot of things in bulk but there is still so much plastic. I just informed hubby that he can no longer use ziplock bags and he was not happy. : *laughs* I am planning to grow more veggies this summer and can but there is still all this plastic.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#30 of 41 Old 03-22-2006, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybabymommy
Avoiding plastic as a rule, keeps me from cluttering out lives with cheap stuff. It makes me think twice while in a store and I save quite a bit of money that way.
This is so true- it slows the amount of junk you bring into your home. I've also noticed asking my MIL for items made out of wood or natural materials has helped slow the wave of baby items flowing our way (that's a good thing) We get a lot of books now for gifts(also a good thing)

I'm interested to learn about silicone- thank you.

Regarding lack of second hand baby toys- for me this has been a good thing. I like to shop at Goodwill and this helps keep me from buying things I don't really need/want. At least it makes me think twice about a purchase- esspecially since reading this thread

Anyone have ideas for a non-plastic wipes container? I make wipes solution, put in wipes and put them in an old Huggies plastic container right now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page