Toy Declutter Conundrum - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-08-2006, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I am on a toy purge. I am getting rid of a lot of junky plastic junk toys, noisy toys, teeny tiny pieces toys (ds is going to be crawling any day).

My problem is that many of our toys were passed to us by my brother and sister in law, who will eventually want them back if/when they have another child. but they don't want them now, because last year they lost twin girls at 27 weeks : and don't want to have the reminder or the "jinx" of baby stuff around.

We are planning to sell our house and go to a smaller apartment, plus I just hate having so much junky junk around.

What do I do with all this noisy battery plastic crap?

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-09-2006, 05:18 PM

I would ask them nicely if they want it and teel them you just don't have room for it. If they wouldn't like to take it, just pass it on.
#3 of 6 Old 03-09-2006, 07:28 PM

Do you have room for a couple boxes of stuff in your garage or basement? If you dont think they want to be reminded right now, you could always pack it up and give it back to them later. Sometimes just having the extra stuff out from underfoot is all you need to feel better about the clutter.
#4 of 6 Old 03-10-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eden/averymum
I would ask them nicely if they want it and teel them you just don't have room for it. If they wouldn't like to take it, just pass it on.
:
#5 of 6 Old 03-10-2006, 02:03 AM

I agree about boxing it up and letting them know you appreciate their generosity in letting you use the toys, but you are n olonger using them and cannot store them in your house. Ask them if they would like to have them back (again, they are boxed up and no one has to actually see them) or if they would like for you to give them to someone else or a charity. You shouldn't have to keep them in your house. Your sanity in a decluttered space is just as important as theirs, even considering their loss. They don't *have* to take the toys and if they seriously consider it a jinx to have them, then they should get rid of them entirely!
#6 of 6 Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

My bro and sil are very pragmatic people. Maybe if I do a garage sale and give them the $$ from the toys that would work.

Or maybe a craigslist online virtual yard sale.

"Now bid me run, and I will strive with things impossible." (William Shakespeare -- Julius Caesar)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page