I just removed my tv, tell me I did the right thing! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 03-09-2006, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We just got rid of our tv in favor of a free piano. Although we hardly ever turned it on, lately I have been abusing it to plug the kids in while I try to tidy, cook, etc. When the tv was on no one in the house communicated and we all looked like zombies.
Why do I have reservations about this? How long till we find a new rhythm?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 42 Old 03-10-2006, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you totally did the right thing...We a TV free family and couldn't be happier....You will learn to live without it quicker than you might think!!!!!
#3 of 42 Old 03-10-2006, 12:50 AM

kudos, I can't bring myslef to. I think my 8 year old would lose it.
#4 of 42 Old 03-10-2006, 01:03 AM

I totally wanna trash mine. Or at least have it on very seldom. I feel like my dd is watching too much even though she only watches pbs or noggin. Right now I'm creating a list of things we can do together like crafts and stuff. Stuff that we haven't done or don't do already. Once we leave CA (in a couple months) it will be alot easier because I'll actually be able to create a play/learning room for her. Anways, you did the right thing! Kudos to you!!
#5 of 42 Old 03-10-2006, 03:10 AM

You 100% Totally Completely did the right thing. I could not be more behind you on this. My sibs & I grew up TV Free and I am SO Glad. Dh and I have no TV and we do not regret it. However, we did have cable for about a year at the beginning of our relationship- once we got rid of it it did take a while to get used to not having that "easy out". But you will get used to it and you'll be so much better off- so will your kids. I could go on and on- about feeling sure I have a better body image than many women b/c of no tv, that we buy less crap, we have more time to spend actually living, anyhow you get the point I'm sure, or you wouldn't have gotten rid of it to start with.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#6 of 42 Old 03-10-2006, 01:52 PM

Replacing it with the piano is a great idea. You may be in for a rough couple of weeks but I bet no one notices pretty quickly. I can totally see distracting the DC so you can get something done. Maybe they can help with the chores instead?

I want to go TV free. DH thinks that I am a nut .

One compromise I thought of was to put the TV in our bedroom so we only watch movies. DH is still not on board. Fortunately, Spring is coming and we'll be doing stuff outside in the evenings. That will cut down on our TV time.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#7 of 42 Old 03-10-2006, 05:58 PM

Good for you! We haven't gotten rid of the TV but we have gone through periods where we stop watching, and it usually takes ds just a few days to adjust. It's like kids forget how to entertain themselves and need a few days to get back into it. I hope you'll update us on how it's going in a week or two!
#8 of 42 Old 03-10-2006, 06:10 PM

I also want to go TV free. We don't have cable, haven't for quite a few years now, but even so, I feel like it is on way too much. I do think i'd miss it for a while. Things are so hectic during the day lately that I just like that mindless hour or two watching TV before bed, and I am not sure i'd want to give that up. OTOH, I think there are a lot of good books I'd get to read, as well as time better spent with the kids during their awake hours.

I also have an 8, 5 and almost 2 year old. I think it'd be an adjustment, but after a while, better. Maybe we'll do a "trial month" and see how it goes.
#9 of 42 Old 03-10-2006, 07:29 PM

I say good for you

We have TV but its only for movies which my oldest is addicted to. My middle child is so not, lol she goes and play while there is a movie on. Drives us all batty as we would like to just sit and be quite and shes a ball of energy.

A free piano, now thats a really good score
#10 of 42 Old 03-11-2006, 02:09 AM

Yes yes yes! I think that it was definitely the right decision. Our kids are TV-free and we are also in the process of looking for a cheap used piano to plink around on. Your life will be more in the short run, but we're all in this for the long haul, right? Good luck with the transition, we haven't been through that but I imagine it would be tough.
#11 of 42 Old 03-11-2006, 04:14 AM

Getting rid of our tv was the absolute best thing we ever did. It took a few days for the kids to adjust, but the difference in them was so obvious within the week that we have never regretted it.

Congratulations

#12 of 42 Old 03-11-2006, 04:31 AM

We watch it too much,though a lot less than some. I just got "THe Plug-In drug" in the mail, hoping to talk myself out of it. With a new babe, I want to get out of the habit. i applaud you!

Happy, busy mama of 2 - A (9/05) and W (2/08)
Acupuncturist to pregnant and post partum mamas!
#13 of 42 Old 03-11-2006, 10:12 AM

Yes! Congratulations! We do have a tv - but only get reception for one channel which is out of Canada and barely comes in ... but we do have a DVD player which we use on occassion.

Sometimes, we will discuss getting cable - (for the educational shows - but then we realize that will just never work and it is so much better without....

It is amazing what can be accomplished without the tv to pull you in.

Warm wishes,
Tonya

Simple Living, Joyful Homemaking, Homeschooling Mom of 6
#14 of 42 Old 03-11-2006, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks mamas!

It is going well so far, my sister is here for a week's visit so that is a great distraction.
The piano mover was so good looking, both sister and I agreed that watching people is more fun him than watching tv
I also knew it had to go when dd watched an episode of Barney: during a PBS campaign and in addition to corny Barney songs, I had to listen to pleas for money to continue "quality programming".
#15 of 42 Old 03-11-2006, 04:43 PM

What a totally awesome thing you replaced the boob tube with! Congrats.
#16 of 42 Old 03-11-2006, 06:16 PM

Thanks redhotmama! Just thought i'd let you know that I was inspired by your thread, and packed up our tv today too. I put a bookshelf where it was. I talked it over with the boys first, as I didn't want them to think of it as a punishment. They surprised me with how receptive they were to the idea. I asked them for a one month trial to see how it goes, and said that we will have a special movie night once or twice. I also told them of things that we could replace the tv with, and they are excited. So am I.

Kicker is, dh is gone to a training seminar today. I wonder what his reaction will be when he gets home in an hour and sees that we are now "unplugged". LOL
#17 of 42 Old 03-13-2006, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallori
I also told them of things that we could replace the tv with, and they are excited. So am I.
Yay for you! I think it's neat that you talked it over with your kids and they're excited about the stuff you can replace tv with. I remeber when kids would ask my brother and I- well what do you do without TV? We'd be so confused- it seemed odd to think we would have nothing to do if we didn't have tv.
We do have a DVD player for movies, but we don't wind up watching a whole lot of them. We just have other things we're doing.

Mama to James 4-05 and Leland 7-07, and feeling so privileged to be growing kiddo #3 due in September!
#18 of 42 Old 03-13-2006, 09:25 PM

You're an angel! I've been trying to get dh to let me get rid of the darned thing! He says he hates TV but doesn't want me to get rid of it. Go figure!
#19 of 42 Old 03-13-2006, 09:29 PM

Watch,it will be the best thing you EVER got rid of!
#20 of 42 Old 03-13-2006, 09:31 PM

oh I am so jeleous! I would totally get rid of my tv for a piano any day! do you have a cd player or radio? we don't watch too much tv but always have the XM radio on!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#21 of 42 Old 03-13-2006, 09:35 PM

If only I had your guts!!!

But, but, but, the cable is included with out hyper-intence-super duper Internet package. So if we have it anyway we need to use it right? right?

Honestly, I think the kids would be fine without the t.v. I on the other hand would die.

Congratulations!!!!!
#22 of 42 Old 03-14-2006, 05:50 AM

We lost friends on the second plane that hit the twin towers...before my husband and I moved in together I did not have a tv for 7 years. I was home when it happened and my husband called and asked me to find out what was going on (after plane #1 hit)...I felt so violated and so voyeristic after witnessing such a horrible loss of life first hand, I unplugged it and gave it away a few months later...our DD, who is 3 is just catching on to the fact that we don't have one...after Christmas this year, before bed, she said..."grandma has a tv, Aden has a TV, poppa has a tv, Where is OUR TV?"

But seriously, it is a little difficult to think of things to do ALL DAY LONG, but neither my husband nor I would change a thing...(OK, so once when I was housesitting, I stayed up all night watching mindlessly (and blissfully)). Ours was a trial run tht became permanent...AND we put the 56 dollars a month that we save on cable in a coffee can...and plan on doing something crazy...we have over 3000!
#23 of 42 Old 03-14-2006, 10:43 AM

I love my TV-free life. I would recommend it to anyone-- our lives are so much richer since we had to find better ways to spend our time. So I'm behind you all the way, and I hope you find the same richness that we have.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#24 of 42 Old 03-14-2006, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotmama
We just got rid of our tv in favor of a free piano.

Don't forget to have a piano tuner come to visit periodically. A humidifier is useful, too, depending on your climate.
#25 of 42 Old 03-15-2006, 12:28 AM

I think you did the right thing- esp if it took over your life.

Our tv is way downstairs in the corner of our basement after you go thru the play area stocked with enough toys for a nursery school. At the end of the day, its pretty messy from dd playing. You look at the mess, say yuck and do not watch tv.
If dd watches something, she usually within minutes wanders away from it and does something else right away. More than not, I tell her to turn off the tv if she is not watching it. she can just watch pbs or a dvd for her and even then she will watch only for a few minutes. Some of my friends leave it on all day.

And also ours is part of our phone bill, internet, tv dish, and phone. We did this deal about two years ago and it cut our tv bill down a few hundred bucks a year. We lost some channels and got over it. We do enjoy watching at least once a week but once the days are longer warmer etc, our tv viewing will go down a lot. At this point its not an issue, but if my family gets to be zombies from too much tv, media in general we would do the same. But dd can amuse herself with out any electronic media around for a long time using her imagination and not have a portable dvd player near by like several of my friends.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#26 of 42 Old 03-15-2006, 10:57 AM

nak...
If you felt the need to get rid of it and did, you did the right thing! We've been tv free since jan 1 and couldn't be happier!
Michelle
#27 of 42 Old 03-15-2006, 08:07 PM

We're TV free for DS and 90% for Dh and I (we rent an occasional movie, maybe every 2-3 months?). I don't think you'll regret it at all Congrats and enjoy that piano!!
#28 of 42 Old 03-22-2006, 02:18 PM

DH and I found that we would get trapped by television, but tapes, dvds, and computer things are okay. So we still have a tv, it just doesn't receive any outside programming. (Easy to do since there's only one broadcast station in our city and it doesn't come in clearly )
#29 of 42 Old 03-22-2006, 02:30 PM

I think I have DH convinced this is a good idea. We currently have a very large and angular (read: magnet for the head of a new walker entertainment center that we rarely use. We literally only watch one hour of TV a week (monk!)

So, we decided to cancel the satellite service, get rid of the TV and the cabinet. We're going to keep the surround system for the radio and CD player and store the VCR.

We will revisit the idea of TV later -- perhaps in the fall when we're starting to spend more time indoors again. We're thinking of something small that we can keep in the closet and bring out to watch movies (only twice a month or so...)

Our family room is going to seem so much larger!!!
#30 of 42 Old 03-22-2006, 02:44 PM

Wehave a TV, but it is in a cabinet with closing doors. This really cuts down on the girls wanting to have it on, "out of site, out of mind" . We only get 1 PBS station on the local NBC station, and they are kinda static-y. DH and I watch sometimes after the girls go to bed, and DD#1 can turn it on, on Sat morning so DH and I can stay in bed past 6:00

belly.gifSAHM, carseat geek, cattle raising woman to 5 girls (15, 10, 8, 6, 2) wild.gifand a stork-suprise.gif due in July!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page