How big is your home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Not sure if this is the right forum)

How big is your home and how many kids/pets do you have (and do you have plenty of space or more than/not enough)? I just wonder because I'm really trying to be content with what we have but am wondering if it is just too small if we were to have any more kids. I'm trying to stay organized/clutter free but it does seem difficult -- but maybe we just have too much stuff. Our place didn't seem so small before we had our 2nd child. Would like input/info. Thanks!
#2 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 03:33 PM

I'm not a good example because I live in New York City and consider anything 1000 square feet or more to be a cavernous mansion.

We have 540 square feet downstairs, and a short ceilinged loft with 100 more square feet or so. 1 co-sleeping toddler and two adults at present and we're planning to stay at least until we have 2 kids ready for their own beds. We also had 2 WAH parents, but dh just got an office a few blocks away, so that will help.

I think the key to making small space work is good floorplan, traffic flow, and storage. This place felt cramped before dd was born, but we weren't using the space very well.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#3 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 03:33 PM

Sorry!

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#4 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we have 1100 square feet of TOTAL CLUTTER with NO garage or yard; and four children eight and under.

may 1st we are moving to a rental home (same price, but brand new 2100 square feet WITH a garage and decent sized courtyard/patio)

We are sincerely hoping we will reduce clutter by a LOT. I am giving away SO much stuff and started packing 45 days before the move. the kids hardly have cups left to drink out of here but I am DETERMINED that we won't have the same clutter problem with 6 of us living in a more reasonable space....although if i had a yard and a garage we would be FINE with 1100 sq feet
hope that helps. it is HARD to be content in small spaces!
#5 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 03:37 PM

I have about 1400sq I think. 2 kids and a big dog and a cat. It is plenty of room. I would never be able to keep up the cleaning on a bigger house. We are going to turn our old garage into living space soo soon I will have MORE to keep clean. We have lots of closets and dh always wants me to get rid of stuff and having less clutter really helps.
#6 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 03:37 PM

We live in an 1100 sq. foot bungalow in Portland. Our house has two cats, one dog, one baby, and two parents. We're planning on living here at least for another 4 years and our (hopefully) two kids will share a room. We are not "pack rats" and have minimal furniture. We don't even have a coffee table. Also our garage has all our camping supplies and off-season clothing stored in containers. This helps keep our two closets relatively organized.
#7 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Well--our home is a little over 1300 sq feet, no garage, and not a lot of closet space. We are fine right now with 2 kids but I'm unsure if having 3 would be too much (we are also renting a storage unit right now so that our home is less cluttered).
#8 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
we have a lot of space -- 2500 or so i think. 5 bedrooms (2 in the finished basement). the 2 bedrooms in the basement are filled with clutter. total junk rooms. we would be better off with a smaller place because with us if we have it we will fill it.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#9 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 03:52 PM

What is the size of your house, Adamsmama?

4 years ago, we were in 800 square feet (all 4 of us) and it was cluttered and every inch of space was used. Then we moved into 1350 sq ft and thought it was one of those cavernous mansions PP mentioned. We quickly filled that place right up. Then we bought our current house, which is almost 2000 sq ft and we thought we were in heaven again. Yet, we have filled it right again, including a very full garage.

I guess my point is that even if you were to upsize, you'd probably find you have all the same issues again. Chances are, all you need is a really good decluttering, some more organizational tools and a resolve to stop buying more stuff. Or at least if you buy stuff, make sure the equivalent amount of stuff is leaving the house at the same time. (We're working on this ) Good luck!
#10 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Our home is a little over 1300 sq feet, no garage, and not a lot of closet space. I just wish we could have a play room for the kids and a home office...so we could spread out a little more.
#11 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 03:58 PM

We own a home thats a little over 1000. There are 5 us + 2 dogs. We also live on 2.5 acres and have a shed that full of house stuff that didn't fit in this house, stuff from my old saddle shed, and all the lawn and garden stuff. Oh and antiques from my family that cannot be gotten rid of.

The living room is OK
The kitchen is too small, 5 us are not comfortable sitting at the table.Needless to say we cant have company and thats NOT OK!
The laundry room holds w/d, a fridge and a freezer. There is no place to put all the dirty laundry except on the floor and then you cant use the back door :
The girls bedroom has a bunk bed and all their toys. I dont know where my youngest will sleep in there when she leaves our room.

Our bedroom is fine size wise.

Bathroom is nice size, needs to be re-done however to make it more usable.

When we have $$$$ we plan on adding on, it will probably be another 1000 to 2000 sf added on.

We are going to be hs'ing and I am a sahm soo we spend a lot of time at home.
#12 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 04:32 PM

one thing we did in our 1100 sq foot apartment the 6 of us live in now is to make one room a bedroom and one bedroom a playroom....i keep my computer and homeschooling stuff in our something like 12 by 14 "living room." we do not have an eat-in kitchen and the dinig space is carpeted so kind of dumb since ds4 LOVES blueberries.

as far as the playroom thing, we never thought we could in a 3bd space so small, but what we did was put beds and clothes ONLY (not a single toy in one room) two beds are lofted twins and one is a hand-me-down queen for guests) literally not an inche between the beds for anything else. the closet has only clothes because toys kept getting lost.

the other bedroom has toys all around the room and a little 6 foot by 8 foot space for playing. the closet in there is just storage but the perimeter of the room has toy boxes and bins and cubbies...whatever we had to tuck everything all around th eroom and leave a little space in the middle. it absolutely CHANGED OUR LIVES...it took 15 hours to sort through the clutter and junk and make this space and even if my hallway is ceiling high in clean laundry and i can't walk into my laundry area and my bedroom is full of off-season clothes, I KNEW i HAD to give them this little space. ds3 and ds4 still mostly sleep with us so the bedroom is more for their clothes and the beds that ds1 and ds2 SOMETIMES sleep in.....
#13 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromscatteredtribe
we have 1100 square feet of TOTAL CLUTTER with NO garage or yard; and four children eight and under.

may 1st we are moving to a rental home (same price, but brand new 2100 square feet WITH a garage and decent sized courtyard/patio)

We are sincerely hoping we will reduce clutter by a LOT. I am giving away SO much stuff and started packing 45 days before the move. the kids hardly have cups left to drink out of here but I am DETERMINED that we won't have the same clutter problem with 6 of us living in a more reasonable space....although if i had a yard and a garage we would be FINE with 1100 sq feet
hope that helps. it is HARD to be content in small spaces!
Just gives you more room to hold more clutter! My husband did a job once, said they had a gorgeous, HUGE house, and it was just FULL of clutter, the garage packed, stuff everywhere!

And to answer the OP, we have a 2 bedroom, 1100 sf, with 4 kids. I think its plenty of space, just need to get rid of more crap and be more organiized, and life would be much easier!
#14 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! Thanks for all the info! My house isn't a total mess--but we have too many toys and probably too much furniture for our place now (not before we had kids--everything fit fine and I didn't have as much of a problem keeping up with it all! ) This next week I'm going to really work on decluttering and letting go of things we really don't need (I have a problem with hanging on to things because we "might" need them).
#15 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 06:56 PM

We live in a single-wide trailer. It's 12 feet wide and 60 feet long, so our space is VERY limited! (Make sure you account for walls and doors, plumbing, wires, and the bathroom.)

We have one DD (2) and a baby on the way. I'm content with what we have and I think we have plenty of room for the baby. I'm not so sure about a third. We'll have to see how it goes once the baby is a toddler. YK?

I would love a larger home, but I don't think we NEED it. We will try to get into another home in a couple years, I'm sure. Hopefully before the next pregnancy. Who knows.

IntactaLactavist, HomeBirthin' Baby Wearin' Co-sleepin' Homeschoolin', City girl gone Country Livin' SAH(HSing)M

#16 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 07:26 PM

We have a 1200 square foot co-op flat with no garage or 'backyard'. After moving here from a HUGE suburban house (probably 3000+ sq. ft.), I have to say that a good floorplan and decluttered, zen-like state of mind are crucial to keeping content. But we are. (Except for the no-yard part, and elephants walking on the ceiling, and a rising crime rate parts...). That said, it looks like we are moving for a job this summer <crossing fingers>, and we will be looking at a three bedroom, two bath house (our current place is 2 beds, 1 bath) for a family of four hoping to grow bigger. My minimum sq. ft. for a 3 bed, 2 bath would be around 1500. I much more interested in a flowing floorplan and the gardening oppportunities than in a large place to fill with even more stuff I don't need.

To get thinking about how your house supports and shapes your life, check out these books...

The Not-So-Big House
House Thinking
#17 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 08:05 PM

I have no idea how many square feet our house is but it is a decent size. We have 3 bedrooms, living room, dining room, finished basement, kitchen, bath & a half and a 2 car garage. However, there are many days when it feels too small (but it really isn't) for our family of 4 plus 2 cats. As I declutter & get organized it feels a little bigger. I think the reason it often feels so small is because dh & I are tall and take up a lot of room.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#18 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 08:14 PM

We just bought a new house that is about 2500sq. feet. Plus a basement that we hope to convert into a playroom and a craft/scrapbooking room for me. That's about the same amount of space we have now, but laid out much better. There are 7 of us, plus 2 dogs and 2 cats. Plus both my husband and I work out of the home, so we have lots of office junk: desks, computers, filing cabinets, paperwork, books, etc. And we homeschool one child.
#19 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 08:35 PM

We have an 800 sf rowhouse with no outbuildings. It has a finished basement for storage, too. No attic. We have three bedrooms and two baths, one on the second floor and one in the basement. One bedroom is tiny and is converted to a large closet. The middle bedroom is for guests/intimacy and is also the walkpath/hall to the master/family bedroom.

There are two adults, one toddler, one dog, one cat and two ferrets.

It's not a great layout, but it's PLENTY of room. We work hard to keep it organized and decluttered. Except for: shared-wall-loud-lowclass neighbors, 11'x15' yard, no parking, crappy neighborhood, the house is phenomenal for us.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#20 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 09:26 PM

We have about 1400 sq ft in a 3 bed/1bath 2 level townhome and a single car detached garage. There are 2 adults, 4 kids 7.5 yrs and under and 1 lizard. You can hardly walk in the garage it is so full of stuff. The rest of the house is similarily packed. I would mosly like a second bathroom, better/more closets would be nice and a bigger room for the boys.
#21 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 10:02 PM

We had a 1530 sq. foot manufactured house (3 bedroom) plus 6x8 shed for 4 of us and it was like an endless cave! Space for everything! One kid moved out so we moved to a 900 sq. ft. apartment. We just decided to get rid of everything in the move and one thing that helped was our old 21 inch tv was failing so I allowed my dh to get a small flat-screen tv. It sits on a shelf so it's not the living room "god" anymore. That helps alot.
#22 of 77 Old 03-25-2006, 10:45 PM

We have 840 sq. ft. 2 bd, 1 ba. We have one kid and one on the way.
Our house used to *seem* a lot smaller, but as we've gotten better at decluttering it's gotten managable.
#23 of 77 Old 03-26-2006, 01:33 AM

We have the five of us (no pets anymore) in a less than 800 square foot house. However, we are working on moving somewhere bigger.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#24 of 77 Old 03-26-2006, 03:06 PM

We are in a place between 1400 and 1600 square feet (3 bed, 2 ba) plus garage, attic, and decent yard. It's certainly big enough four our family of 5, just not the greatest floor plan.

Dee, mama to Robin , Wren , Finch and baby Lark born 12/27!
#25 of 77 Old 03-26-2006, 03:30 PM

We have about 1600 sq ft upstairs (3br 1 bath) and a partially finished basement. We have a playroom and living room. The basement is really not good for much because it is freezing most of the year. There are four of us- two kids. We also have a one-car garage to store bikes, tools and a car.

Our place is too big. We have way more space then we need and it is a bear to keep clean and maintain. It also lacks a "cozy" feel that smaller houses have. Our previous home was 900 sq ft and I loved that house. It was cozy and comfy and had a large country kitchen.

Ideally I would love a good layout of about 1500 sq ft max.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#26 of 77 Old 03-26-2006, 03:53 PM

I'm struggling with the house size/clutter issue. Our house is 2700sf, with me, dh and our 3 kids, 2 cats and one 110lb inside dog. The more room we have, the more junk we get to fill it up. : I envy people that can make a smaller space more livable by keeping the clutter down to a minimum

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#27 of 77 Old 03-26-2006, 03:58 PM

1600 sq ft; big yard, attached 2 car garage.

3 kids under 6, 2 adults, 2 dogs.

I think we have more than ample space, although I am still working on decluttering and finding appropriate furniture. It's easy to clean-- EASY-- when you have a place for everything.
#28 of 77 Old 03-26-2006, 05:23 PM

We have a 1940's 1 1/2 story 3 bedroom, 1 3/4 bath w/2000 sq feet (finished basement and upstairs). We have dh, me, ds here FT and dh's 2 kids every other weekend. Dh's kids are set up in the 2 main floor bedrooms with dh, ds and me upstairs.

We have 2 German Shepherds, 3 cats. We had 3 dogs and 4 cats for a while. Oh and a 90 gallon fish tank in the basement family room.

While our house doesn't have the 'open' floor plan that is so desired these days, we LOVE our house. Our yard is big enough to keep up busy w/ gardening and for the dogs and kids. We live about 8 blocks from a super park and a mile from a lake and public zoo.

With our finished basement family room, we have plenty of space for everyone to go off and have some privacy. We keep the main floor living room TV free for the most part which is great! The fireplace is so relaxing and I love to grab a book and kick back. The family room has the whole movie thing set up and ds's toys are mostly down there.

For the older kids, we did a 'boys' and a 'girls' room both with a set of bunk beds for sleep overs. It also allows for family growth. Both kids know that they will be sharing when the time comes when ds is ready to move from our bed.

I know that many families prefer bigger spaces but honestly I am FINE with ours. Its plenty big to be a cleaning challenge but doesn't take me forever to keep up with things.

My only peeve is I'd like at least a toilet on the floor that dh and I sleep on. We've been thinking of bumping out upstairs to add a small bathroom and possibly a den/sm bedroom. We don't need another bedroom but it would be nice to have a sewing/hobby room.

Rhianna momma to ds #1 - 9 & ds #2 - born 10/22/2012

#29 of 77 Old 03-26-2006, 05:27 PM

ts not hoe much space you have, it is how well it is laid out.

we have about 3000 square feet if you count the basement (which is unfinished but dry, ventalated, heated and carpeted and the walls are not nasty gross - all this makes sense to people who have a basement )

we have 2 adults and 2 children.

the house has the basement which holds out huge furnace, washer dryer, dh office, his shop and the kids tunnels and tents (but we only got these because we had the room to spare. :LOL) main floor - living room dining room and kitchen (3 cupboards and 2 drawers in the kitchen, one closet in the dining room - otherwise no storage space) up stairs is three bedrooms and a bathroom and the 3rd floor is a low celing playroom with 2 big closets and crawl space storage. We have a small yard and a 2 stall but illegal (as in we could be told to knock it down at our neighbors whim. of if God should so choose to flatten it and we would not be allowed to rebuild )

and we are looking to trade it all in for a very small 1200 square foot, 2 bathroom, 4 bedroom dream home. I am telling you. a reasonable well used space is so much better than a very large poorly used space home. You are looking at someone who is a huge fan of the galley kitchen though. Also small bedrooms. Just big enough for a bed and dreser. On the up side we should get a good deal on the house that no one else wants.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#30 of 77 Old 03-26-2006, 05:33 PM

Oh and if you are intrested in living in small spaces I highly recommend visiting an Ikea store. they give lots of hope for small places. The right furniture (right shape and size and function) can make all the difference in the world. I was amazed when I went through thier sample apartments. They were tiny but you didn't feel cramped at all.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page