annakiss' house is spotless and my diaper pail smells like flowers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Edited - new pics!: http://www.flickr.com/photos/2429751...7607348533035/

Well several folks have asked about my house due to some other threads. It's pretty darn clean and evidently there's a rumor that my diaper pail smells like flowers. So I thought I'd share a virtual tour and my basics for upkeep.

In the pictures, my house is totally spotless as my children were not there when I took the pictures, so it's not like I live in a museum, just so you know. Here is the virtual tour. It doesn't take me much time to get it looking like that should people come visit, but I do work on it all the time (though I do lots of other things too like crafts with the kids, outings, errands, etc.). I'm not about to write a book or anything, but my basic tricks are the following:
  • a place for everything and everything in its place - anything that comes into my house gets a home and gets put back there as often as it needs to be put back
  • do now what you could do later - why wait if you have a moment now?
  • purge early and often - don't wait for seasonal changes or time to do everything at once, if there's something in the drawer you aren't using when you're getting out the kids jammies, get rid of it
  • limit the space you have - a small house is really key; more space i'd just fill up with more stuff
  • pick up before you leave the house and before you go to sleep - waking to a nice, clean-ish house or coming home to one makes it easier to pick up later b/c there's less stuff out. plus it just feels good.
  • get used to (and get your partner used to) enjoying it - after the kids are in bed, we pick up quickly and sit and watch a movie or just chat and drink some tea or a beer and look at our pretty house.

Other than that, I'm unnaturally neat and have trained my husband to love a clean house, so he helps out a LOT. Well, sorta. Today I say a lot, tomorrow I may be complaining about him doing nothing. For the record, my diaper pail does smell like lavendar. I just add a few drops to an old expired deodisk taped to the lid whenever I do the laundry. I'm a little paranoid about people thinking my house is stinky. Especially because we use cloth TP, so there's adult poo stink in there too.

To those who were interested in my decorating style - I don't have any secrets. I buy what I like and most of my stuff is handed down to me. I make a lot of what I have too. My rocking chair cushions, my plant hangers, all the paintings in my house - that's all me.

eta - I do feel a bit goofy starting this thread...

Edited To Add recent Master Bedroom post Declutter pics:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...mxZtR2&notag=1

anna kiss partner to jon radical mama to aleks (8/02) and bastian (5/05)
#2 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 08:57 PM

Wanna come over and organize my house?!? Or just paint something to put up on my walls? We've lived here nearly four years and I still don't have anything on the walls in the living room, as I can't find anything I really, truly like enough to spend the money on and I refuse to just slap up any old thing to fill the space.

Actually, thanks a lot for the tour. We are planning to build a house in the near future, and I am still finalizing what I want. All of that built-in storage in your house reminded me that I need to add that to my list. I really think that "a place for everything and everything in its place" is key, and built-in storage makes a huge difference IME with implementing that.

I, too, am worried about my house being stinky (for the same reasons, and because I can't open it up all winter long here in North Dakota ). I make a real effort to make sure it smells good. EOs in lightbulb rings all over the house, EOs on homemade potpurri strategically hiden where the kids can't get to it.

Speaking of that, you said that your boys pretty much leave plants alone. How did you manage that? My kids are FASCINATED with plants and I can't leave them anywhere within reach, which means a lot more places than you'd think, as DD is a climber. (She can climb up onto the entertainment center, the fridge, the shelves in my closet, you name it. ) And how did you make the hangers? Are they crocheted/knitted? Must go find a pattern for something like that ...
#3 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 08:58 PM

One more thing ... you are one talented mama!
#4 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 09:05 PM

great inspiration! I am decluttering (for good ) and it feels great! I am so struggling with picking up each night. I am also working on finding a place for everything and am very close. My mother is taking the girls so I can get my spring cleaning done and I hope my house will be in order b y sunday
your house is fantastic!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#5 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 09:14 PM

What a beautiful home and those are some great tips. I love your boys' room, it looks just magical in there! Thank you for sharing.
#6 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 09:18 PM

Beautiful! I just adore you anyway. Sigh. The perfection continues......
#7 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boadicea
Speaking of that, you said that your boys pretty much leave plants alone. How did you manage that? My kids are FASCINATED with plants and I can't leave them anywhere within reach, which means a lot more places than you'd think, as DD is a climber. (She can climb up onto the entertainment center, the fridge, the shelves in my closet, you name it. ) And how did you make the hangers? Are they crocheted/knitted? Must go find a pattern for something like that ...
Well it's really just the one. Aleks destroyed an african violet we'd had for awhile when he was younger, but now all but three of the plants are pretty much out of his reach. The aloe is really hearty and for some reason he leaves it alone, and occassionally he pulls leaves off the bushy things. Sebastian will occassionally pull on the leaves of the one big plant that always stays on the floor, but it's just the basket thing that gets torn up the most. He likes to scratch in the dirt because it's so accessible. But it goes outside in the summer and so can the other plant if need be.

The plant hanger I made is kinda like a crocheted octopus. I just made a really long strand then went back to the middle and started a new line then back and forth making all the strands thicker until it looked like it would support something. Then I went back up the original strand and crocheted around the ends 'til they formed a loop. I didn't count my stitches, however, so it's a bit crooked, but I just looped the longer ends up with the main loop to make it straight-ish. I hope that makes any sense. I can't follow patterns, I just make stuff up.

#8 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfmeis
Beautiful! I just adore you anyway. Sigh. The perfection continues......
Thank you, but really, I'm not even close!

#9 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 11:08 PM

I could disagree, but you know yourself. I will say that if you aren't perfect you've made a perfectly lovely home to be not-quite-perfect in.
#10 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 11:19 PM

OMG, it isn't just spotless. It's gleaming!

I LOVE those paintings! Thank you for sharing them.
#11 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 11:52 PM

Wow!

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

#12 of 125 Old 04-03-2006, 11:52 PM

Okay, I've been to her house. She is a shameless housekeeper.

I first saw it when I came in response to her plea for help in cleaning her house as she was morning-sick. Her house was cleaner than the one I had just left. (my own)

I have also met her children and Aleks is a world-class emptier and scatterer. You know the type--clear the shelf, basket, bin, drawer and wave both arms to arrange the items... Toss a few over the shoulder for good measure and optimal adult reaction...
#13 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm just at the "diaper pail smells like flowers" part.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#14 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:27 AM

Your house is gorgeous, Anna and I agree with all your points. Those have been the things that have helped me most with my own homemaking skillz

And I said it before, but I'll say it again -- your art is fantastic! (This is coming from someone who has an artist mom and artist friends and who also does art and collects art for her own house, so I know from art!)
#15 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:27 AM

Beautiful! I love older-looking houses, and I'm jealous of your built-ins, I'm still needing a real bookcase since we moved 2+ years ago

Thanks for sharing...some inspiration for us 'messies'
#16 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:32 AM

(ooooh....ahhhhh)
Very tidy home, with lots of personality.
Thanks for the tour.
#17 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annakiss
...[*]do now what you could do later - why wait if you have a moment now?
How the heck do you do that, AND have 12000+ posts here?

Your house is gorgeous. Not only clean but the furnishings match, aren't covered with random stuff, and you have artwork on the walls! Definitely gives us something to aim for.
#18 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:47 AM

loooooove the home and art- headed up the stairs to pick up now! thanks!!!!!
#19 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:58 AM

Wow! I have tons more questions but it is so late and I can barely see what I am typing right now. Thank you so much for taking the time to take pictures and start this thread! I will be back tomorrow.....

Blessed mama of four
::
#20 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 01:08 AM

I love your style....your home is beutiful. You are my hero. lol

Kim- Simple livin' mama to 4 great kiddos.
#21 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 01:44 AM

beautiful!!! i'm not too far off from that, but aspire to get there someday. thanks for sharing!
#22 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 02:59 AM

I need to see a child mess

I do. It is for my personal growth. I do!
#23 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon mama
Aleks is a world-class emptier and scatterer. You know the type--clear the shelf, basket, bin, drawer and wave both arms to arrange the items... Toss a few over the shoulder for good measure and optimal adult reaction...
!!! I have heard him do this on the phone, and your description of it is so vivid.

Anna, you are such a neat-o mama. I can't wait to go on the virtual tour. Must change a dipe now, but will be back shortly.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#24 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 11:21 AM

I am envious of your built-ins, your art work and lack of clutter.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:
#25 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 11:24 AM

I'm going to have to hire her to teach me how to have such a nice house (and to make me some cool art!). LOL! I'm ashamed to have ever had her over at my filthbox.

Seriously, you have a beautiful home. If you weren't so nice I'd have to hate you.
#26 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:14 PM

nice tray.
#27 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonbon mama
Okay, I've been to her house. She is a shameless housekeeper.

I first saw it when I came in response to her plea for help in cleaning her house as she was morning-sick. Her house was cleaner than the one I had just left. (my own)
I am mortified about this!!! So embarrassed... I had managed to get it partially together when you came, and just thought I'd take the opportunity to get the floors swept b/c vacuuming was impossible for me. Especially since it turned out that our 400 lb. vacuum was partially plugged at the time. I'm so sorry. Please forgive me.

#28 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama3peanuts
nice tray.
now you just hush...

#29 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawap
I'm going to have to hire her to teach me how to have such a nice house (and to make me some cool art!). LOL! I'm ashamed to have ever had her over at my filthbox.

Seriously, you have a beautiful home. If you weren't so nice I'd have to hate you.
Your house is fine! I'm so embarrassed about this thread now. :

please don't hate me...

#30 of 125 Old 04-04-2006, 12:26 PM

Don't be embarrased! You're a fine inspiration!!!

You inspired me to start hard-core nesting last night And to join the April decluttering challenge! I cleaned out my junk drawers last night!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page