OMG! FlyLady - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 04-14-2006, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I swear by the digest for flylady. If I'm not in the mood that day I just have one message to delete. It's good info but the emails were just too much and if you're already overwhelmed that's enough to push you over the edge.
I also like the organizedhome.com site.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#32 of 39 Old 04-27-2006, 10:49 PM

Actually, FlyLady's URL is not a .com as previously posted. Here's the link:

http://www.flylady.net/

I'm still torn about her system: the e-mails don't bother me, as I don't mind deleting. The idea that doing things in small stages has really helped me as has the routines. But the whole premise that you can get your house organized in 15 minutes a day doesn't seem completely honest... 15 minutes for zone work, 15 for morning routine, 15 for laundry, etc and it really adds up! I don't want to spend all day on this stuff...
#33 of 39 Old 04-27-2006, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1

I customized my own reminders until my computer crashed and have not started again (I know, I AM a geek & anal, so that was a fun waste of time for me).
Too funny -I did that too.

~laura
and planning to eat it again
#34 of 39 Old 07-05-2006, 04:30 AM

Glad to hear all of this. I almost subscribed.
#35 of 39 Old 07-06-2006, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-of-us
the whole premise that you can get your house organized in 15 minutes a day doesn't seem completely honest... 15 minutes for zone work, 15 for morning routine, 15 for laundry, etc and it really adds up! I don't want to spend all day on this stuff...
That sounds like a whine. Your morning routine you do anyway basically. You would get dressed at some point. Making my bed takes less than 2 min...

If you follow the basic FLY lady mottos then you don't spend all day. That is the point. If you "do it now" and don't put off cleaning until it is a major mess then it doesn't take much time at all. "Swish & swipe" in the bathroom takes a lot less time then to wait and clean the bathroom all on one day when the grime and gunk has layered and thickened.

I do FLY lady. My house is not perfect and I don't always get dressed immediately. But I know I can always jump in where I am. "I am never behind"

When I feel overwhelmed I just think, "I can do anything for 15 min." It is amazing how much I can get done. Then I am motivated to spend just a little more time and things are back together.

You've got to do laundry, clean, and cook. You either have a system to keep up with it and live more peacefully, or you let everything pile up around you and get overwhelmed.

I guess I don't have the patience for all the whining. I have another friend that laughed at me for doing FLY lady. Well, her house is in chaos and she is always whining about her house.

I delete a lot of emails some days, other days I read most. If it doesn't work for you, fine. I hope that you find something that does work. I just think it is great that FLY lady does help a lot of people get some peace in their homes, good meals on their table, and even "loving movement" for their bodies.
#36 of 39 Old 07-06-2006, 02:25 PM

Quote:
You've got to do laundry, clean, and cook. You either have a system to keep up with it and live more peacefully, or you let everything pile up around you and get overwhelmed.
I agree.

When I first started hearing FlyLady mentioned on these boards, the thought of the e-mails scared me. She sounded like an authoritarian perfectionist type, which also turned me off. But then I thought should at least check it out. I'd been using Motivated Moms and enjoying it, but I thought I should see if there was anything else I could learn.

So I did. I went to the website and read her testimonial and the Beginner baby steps. I started doing the baby steps, one per day, as she suggested. I liked the fact that she just wanted me to do ONE thing per day at first. So I did it. And I liked what was happening in my house. The shiny sink thing sounds silly but it really does work.

After about a week, I decided to sign up for the e-mails, because I liked the way my house looked. And they totally were not that bad! I get them sent to my personal e-mail account, so that I don't get them at work. Half of them are just reminders that can be deleted right away, like "drink your water" or "have you thought about dinner yet today?". As for the others, she does urge you when you are just starting out NOT to do them all, just read them for 2 minutes per day, to help you start learning the flow of things. I actually found that I liked all the e-mails, and the testimonials, too. They encouraged me. They helped me get through the difficult time of setting up a new routine, when it is so easy to drop it. We all know we need routines, but when your life is busy, it really helps to have someone cheering you on to set one up. Who else is going to pat me on the back for cleaning my toilet?

I think that is the main thing about FlyLady. She is all about "mothering the new mother" although she doesn't phrase it that way. It feels like someone is looking out for me, giving me encouragement for even the littlest things, like getting to bed on time so that I get enough rest, that kind of thing. Anyway, I've only been doing this for a while, but my house looks better than it has in years, I'm not feeling stressed because everything is in crisis mode, and my DH and I are even getting along better. I'm doing more housework than I was before, but I somehow have more time for myself, too, and I am even having fun some of the time when I'm cleaning, which I never thought would be possible.

I think at some point, my routines will be established enough that I won't need the e-mails, but for now, I'm sticking with them. I'm also still using Motivated Moms and enjoying that, too. After being the "answer person" all day at work, it is so nice not to have to think and plan what to do next. I just check my list and do it.

Anyway, if you are at all curious about FlyLady, I suggest going to the website and trying the BabySteps first, before signing up for the e-mails. It's free, so there's really nothing to lose.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009
#37 of 39 Old 07-06-2006, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I too am a dropout for all the same reasons as you all. What I learned is to keep my sink area clean (which really makes a difference with my mood) and to spend 10 mins a day decluttering or cleaning SOMETHING. Yesterday I washed the woodwork in the kitchen in that amt of time. The day before I did the dining room windows.
#38 of 39 Old 07-07-2006, 07:43 PM

http://www.practicalhomemaking.com/notebook.htm

Hey girls (and guys)! I hope this helps some.
#39 of 39 Old 07-08-2006, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking sisters
I do FLY lady. My house is not perfect and I don't always get dressed immediately. But I know I can always jump in where I am. "I am never behind"

When I feel overwhelmed I just think, "I can do anything for 15 min." It is amazing how much I can get done. Then I am motivated to spend just a little more time and things are back together.

Huh, interesting. This is the first time (along with the subsequent post by Thalia) that I've read some really good recommendations for Fly Lady, ones that made me think that perhaps I should check it out again.

Thanx.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page