My Decluttering Challenge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-17-2006, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since having a baby, or should I say getting a baby? I have come to realize that we are now in a different stage of our life and need to accomodate room for the baby's things. Our house never seemed cluttered before but now all of a sudden its like we have all this stuff and just "stuff". Our city has a clean up day coming in 3-4 weeks, where basically whatever you bring to their site on a trailer they will get rid for $10 a load. So tonight DH is parking a trailer by our garage so I can sort through what to keep and what to toss. Also I am going to be contacting someone in town who sells your stuff on ebay. Just for a little extra money and again to get rid of it. We have no freecycle here. I am super excited to start. We really need to toss our college stuff, make a pile to donate, and a pile for ebay. Also will be listing a few bigger items to sell in the paper, like our fooseball table, 3 big bar stool, and heavier items. As I go room by room I am hoping to also improve on storage ideas. My DH is a pack rat so this isn't going to be easy. I could probably be done in a weekend if he weren't home. If anyone has done this any tips or suggestions would be great. I plan on updating this thread and taking before and after pics and posting at the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-17-2006, 07:58 PM

My DH is a "Sanitation Worker" (garbage man) - a packrat to the extreme. You wouldn't believe the stuff he comes home with. Your best bet is to get your DH OUT and don't tell him what's going. Mine still hasn't noticed I got rid of 3 boxes of his stuff (true junk) 3 years ago

Good luck, I'm on a similar quest for our house!

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#3 of 7 Old 04-17-2006, 08:15 PM

Good luck! I know what you mean.. our home seemed a lot bigger before we had little ones
I look forward to seeing your next update about how much progress you've made! (see, now you've committed yourself )

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
#4 of 7 Old 04-18-2006, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

4/17 Didn't have too much time to do much last night. I did however manage to get DH on board. Which could be the biggest accomplishment yet. I told him I needed him by Friday to have an empty trailer for me to use. He got a little panicked look on his face so I dragged him to the living room and explained how much of what we have is decorative and doesn't really serve a purpose, I also brought up the less "stuff" we have the easier and quicker it will be for me to clean and keep up the house. So he reluctantly agreed. Right now the only thing we are butting heads on is currently our TV sits on an old big trunk we first bought together. So with our small TV on it it becomes a place to set down junk. I have 6 photo albums on one side of the TV, some candles on top, figurines on the other side and just misc stuff I pick up when I vacuum. I want to sell the trunk and get a smaller entertainment set that wont take up so much room and DH wants to magically put it in our spare room. In our spare room he wants the trunk, extra bed, night stand, rolltop desk, and computer desk. And the room is about an 9X9 area so not gonna happen. I did walk through eachroom last night and just stand there and look around and take a mental inventory of what needs to go. This really helped me see what the room could look like. Then I walked through each room again with DH and explained what I wanted to get rid of and why. I don't think he realized until that moment how full his trailer was going to be. Also plan on doing some re arranging of bigger items and putting them where they make the most sense or re purposeing what they are for. I am so excited to get tossing stuff out. I think I may have even talked him into letting me make our current linen closet that has a door from the hall, and adding a door to the side of it so its accesible from my bathroom. You see we live in a old funeral home, so our "linen closet" was where they stored caskets so its about 3 ft wide and 5 ft deep. Now I can have a door on the 5 ft wall to reach way in back. My goal tonight is to see what we have too much of that we need and see how we can cut back. Example we have a million old bath towels that are thread bare because they were given to us. So I know we don't need that many and may be better off getting a few nice newer ones. I'll let you know how it goes. Any advice is great, feel free to chime in..
#5 of 7 Old 04-19-2006, 11:50 PM

Sounds like a great start. You might try getting a big box for each room and every time you're in any given room and see something that can go (whether donate, ebay, garbage), put it in the box. At the end of the day/week/whenever you have time, go through a few boxes. That way you're not going through the whole room.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#6 of 7 Old 04-20-2006, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthea™
Sounds like a great start. You might try getting a big box for each room and every time you're in any given room and see something that can go (whether donate, ebay, garbage), put it in the box. At the end of the day/week/whenever you have time, go through a few boxes. That way you're not going through the whole room.
Thats a good idea, thanks for the top!! Didn't get too much done last night because DD is teething really bad. Witht his box idea it would definetly make things easier.
#7 of 7 Old 04-26-2006, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well Sunday I tackled my bathroom. i went through my medicine chest and tossed old nail polish, multiple shampoo bottles, and old prescriptions. I cleaned out two brown bags worth. So gratifying. Also made it so that not all my stuff is sitting on the vanity. But now there is room in the drawers to hide it and keep it organized. Then last night DH picked up a smaller TV stand and we rearranged the livving room a little just to see how it would look taking some stuff out. So far we took out our old TV stand that was 2ft x5ft. I'm selling my one 5 gal. Red Wing jug. But I am keeping my 20 gal. crock because I have my quilts rolled up in there. We got rid of one floor lamp that was always crooked and never matched. (actually DH made it in HS, so I told MIL she could have it back) And we also got rid of an end table that we never used. Cleaned out my crystal in my display cabinet and started putting in the really important stuff and it looks so much better. Today I am going to call a consignment auction place and see if we can drop stuff off. And also tonight want to finish going through the living room, we have a canoe bookshelf that my dad made and I am going to clean it out and they want the canoe back to put in their summer cabin, so perfect. Then we need to tackle my office because so far that is where i have been throwing all the stuff I want to go through and you can barely open the door. And hopefully this Sunday or Friday (if I can get off work) I am going to re paint our kitchen since we have baptism at our house on the 7th.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page