What is the absolute minimum of kitchen stuff like dishes I need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-18-2006, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're going to put our house up for sale and I just want the MINIMUM amount of stuff in the kitchen.

For instance, one plate for each person, maybe plus 1?

five plates (there are four of us)
five bowls
five cups

one large frying pan

What would YOU need?

This would really help me.

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 05:34 PM

I would also need a large saucepan and a smaller one (so I can make pasta & sauce).

Utensils: Wooden spoon, knife set, garlic crusher, ladle, poultry shears.
Following your dish plan: 5 place settings, 5 glasses, 2 mugs, serving fork & spoon. 2 cutting boards (one for meat & one for veggies).
Coffee Maker
Tea Pot

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
Old 04-18-2006, 05:54 PM

I think that if it looks too sparse, it'll look weird. Do you have a dishwasher? If you do then you should be able to keep a little more than if you handwash immediately after you eat or drink.

I would look at it a little differently. Nicely, neatly fill one cabinet with dishes/bowls/plate. Have there be a glasses/cup cupboard, a pots/pans cupboard, only as much as fits beautifully, tidily and usefully. Not too empty but not too full, either. Leave all your silverware in the drawer, you don't need to have 5 spoons/5 forks. It all packs together anyway. Limit the amount of large utensils you have, in such a way that you have what you need but it fits nicely neatly in a drawer. Have one junk drawer, that has been cleaned out and emptied but is there in case you have stuff that you need to hide away quickly. Have one area with all your linens, or if you have huge amounts of linens, just the most nicely matching ones. Have one area for any storage items you use, corning ware or Pyrex with lids, any small serving platters or bowls that you will use.

Pack away all the extras and preferably get a rental storage unit to take them to.

Empty out the area underneath your sink, so that you have just the essential cleaners that you need, perhaps dish soap, dishwasher detergent, a spray bottle of vinegar, a box or two of baking soda, garbage bags, that's it. If you keep the garbage can out, hide it away so you can't see it.

Keep only a few decorative containers on the counter, perhaps an attractive spice rack, perhaps a toaster (but it's better if you find a cupboard to hide it away in every day). Tidy whatever pantry or food cupboard you have so everything looks nice and neat.

Oops, I don't think you asked about all of this but hopefully it's helped. :

Good luck in the quick and lucrative sale of your home!
Old 04-18-2006, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

To answer the questios, it is a small kitchen and no dishwasher.

I'm not going to leave it too sparse but a lot of stuff is definitely going into storage!

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
Old 04-18-2006, 06:21 PM

adding to kewb's list:
saucepan
tea ball
coffee grinder (i suppose we could switch to pre-ground but DH is funny about his coffee)
mason jars for dry goods storage and leftovers
cheese grater and/or slicer

geez, my list is getting long, i do a lot of baking so i'd need a lot of stuff for that like measuring cups/spoons and mixing bowls as well as muffin tins, cookie sheets and cake pans.
we tend to have people over for tea/dinner so i'd need 8 place settings of dishes. (although we only have 5 chairs so maybe we only need 5 dishes )

It turns out that moderation is the key to good parenting.  Too bad we aren't allowed to talk about that here.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I'm thinking I might skip baking for a while. Too hard to clean up if someone calls.

Old 04-19-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momtwice
Yeah I'm thinking I might skip baking for a while. Too hard to clean up if someone calls.
But nothing smells quite like home than a fresh loaf of bread baking in the oven.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

Alkenny, I hear slice and bake cookies are very convenient in that situation, LOL!

Old 04-21-2006, 03:55 PM

How long will it be (approx) before you move? That would determine for me, which stuff I needed out. I have recently moved to and from Malaysia and made-do on very little while our stuff was shipped. One pot for the stove, a frying pan and one glass dish for oven cooking! That's it . . . one wooden spoon and dishes. You really can do without when necessary, it depends more on your level of comfort (ie: lay bread on the rack in the oven for toast, etc.). Good luck!

Wife to my Denali-climbing DH
Mom to DD born Jan. 08 and DS born Oct. 09, and "baby sister" due Oct 2013!
House mom to ten boys, ages 8-11 at a group home! Yes, I must be nuts!
Old 04-22-2006, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

How long would it take...well I have no idea of knowing how quickly it will all go down. I would be happy being low maintenace though.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:25 AM

Um, one plate, one bowl, two forks, two knives, two spoons per person.

A large pot
A large pan
Two spatulas/spoons
A Collander
A Cookie Sheet
My Garlic Press and a Big Knife

I think that's about it. Oh, and a can opener!

ETA: Thanks for posting this thread. You've got me thinking. My kitchen is my pitfall... and if I can put away half our plates and some of our silverware, I'll bet it will be easier to keep up with it. I'll be forced to do dishes more often.

User Tag List