Husband's DVD collection... how much would you sell it for or is it cruel? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 04-23-2006, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH has talked about selling his dvd collection (about 3000 titles I know no freaking wonder we have no $ his pre me days were spent on dvds and a while after....)

Is that cruel to ask him to sell them?
I just think we have movies on demand he doesn't watch the old ones...
and you can rent them pretty cheap....

I put his vhs tapes on craigslist and the guy who wants to buy them asked me if I have any dvds for sale....."I" don't but it did get me thinking....

8 might be enough
#2 of 9 Old 04-23-2006, 09:40 PM

I don't think it would be cruel to ask. You could show him how much the two of you could have to spend on "whatever" if he were to sell the dvd's he never watches/doesn't really like. He probably doesn't ever realize how many of the dvd's he doesn't even really want. you might ask him to part w/ a certain number and have a fun time sorting thru them and weeding out the one's he can live without.
#3 of 9 Old 04-23-2006, 09:40 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Even if you sell 10% of them that could be a nice chunk of change.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#4 of 9 Old 04-24-2006, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

what would be a fair price for them?
mostly watched once.....sadly....

I am just in the mood to sell/gift it all I look at RV's and think wouldn't that be neat to just take off and be free with my kids and my scrapbooks of memories...and a wireless laptop..

8 might be enough
#5 of 9 Old 04-24-2006, 09:48 AM

Start with 10% of the DVDs. Look up the current NEW price for each movie (on Amazon.com or ???) Make a list of ALL the titles for sale and prices, post on Craigslist and the trading post. I would price at about 50% of current retail. Offer NO DISCOUNTS unless someone buys 10 or more. "Sorry, this is the first day of the ad, if you want a lower price talk to me in 2 weeks." When the $$$ come in, your husband should be happy, and maybe come up with more titles.

DON'T give them away or sell for pennies. The purchasers will just be eBAYing them anyway.

A huge benefit of downsizing a collection like this is that as you send out the stuff you don't love, you find treasures there. I sent out 50+ books on bookcrossing, and found one treasure I had been "meaning to read" for years. It turns out to be a wonderful, inspiring book:
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, THE HEALER'S WAR

One possibillity would be to get a giant external hard drive and upload the movies one at a time to your PC. Some software required, I think. If you have not watched it in the past 5 years, you won't miss it too much!
#6 of 9 Old 04-24-2006, 02:10 PM

My DH has a ridiculous amount of DVDs too. I've asked him before to sell them...but he figures that they're prob not worth more than about $5 each (the local video stores sell PVd copies for $5-7 each and they guarantee them) & so he refuses to part with them.

Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

#7 of 9 Old 04-24-2006, 05:44 PM

Maybe you can persuade him to part with a certain number of them. Start small, maybe 10. Then in a month ask him to pick 10 more. And get him a gift certificate for Netflix so he won't be buying anymore unless he knows he'll want to watch it more than once.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#8 of 9 Old 04-24-2006, 08:49 PM

We have 2 drawers in our entertainment unit, and we can only keep the DVDs that will fit in there. So every once in a while, we purge some.

We did get a Blockbuster online membership (where they mail movies to you) and so far it's working out great.

I think if your dh is willing to part with some, it couldn't hurt. I can't even imagine having that many DVDs. (Of course, most people want to pass out if they see my craft room. )
#9 of 9 Old 04-25-2006, 06:54 PM

Wow, I thought my 500 cd's were a bit excessive!

I would not part with any of them without his permission. Sneakily disposing of your spouse's stuff is not cool! But if you can get him to agree, then GO FOR IT!

One thing you can do to motivate him is to tell him that if the average movie is 90 minutes...times 3000, that is 270,000 minutes of time spent watching the TV (or computer) screen. That is 4500 hours. Ask him how many hours he'd like to spend with his family doing something fun in a week. Ask him what he'd like to do, then sell that many hours of movies and use the money to go do what ever fun thing he wants to do.

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page