help me declutter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2006, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we are all packrats in my family and my house looks like a reck. How do i start? Do I pick one thing and run with it? Get as many items as i can in so many mins? What?
We have alot of stuff i would like to get rid of but i have no clue where to begin. We paid money for everything we have and i don't want to just throw it away and get nothing out of it. We are going to try to have a yard sell in a couple of weeks but what do i do if nothing sells?
I just don't think that i have the modivation to start. Please help me?
Where do you donate stuff if you donate i know there is a womens shelter would that be better than taking it to a thrift store?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peverroad
we are all packrats in my family and my house looks like a reck. How do i start? Do I pick one thing and run with it? Get as many items as i can in so many mins? What?
What if you were to make a calendar for the next two weeks and dedicate one hour each day to getting ready for the yard sale? Start with one room first, do that room for 2 or 3 days, then move to the next room, etc. Also, get help. Do you have a partner who can help you with this project? Is there an area in your house where you can store all the "for sale" items?

What I did first, before two prior garage sales was to make a list on the computer, I walked through the house and wrote stuff down that I felt would sell and guessed at how much we could sell them for. Once I saw the hundreds and hundreds of dollars I thought we would make, that was a very motivating factor. One garage sale I estimated that we'd made $450 dollars and I figured, wow, that would make it worth it to spend 10 hours planning and 8 hours on the day of the sale (Saturdays are best), it would be a good return on our money. Instead, we ended up taking in over $900!!! It was weird, but we totally found way more stuff than was on the list, we just kept throwing little things in and surprise, surprise, tons of it went.

Quote:
We have alot of stuff i would like to get rid of but i have no clue where to begin. We paid money for everything we have and i don't want to just throw it away and get nothing out of it. We are going to try to have a yard sell in a couple of weeks but what do i do if nothing sells?
BTDT. Check your local paper and ask if they have free classified ads for items under a certain $ amount. In our town, ads are free for items less than $100. I have sold at least 10 different things (or groups of things) via those ads and it was easy. Once I sold a huge amount of toys for $75, in my ads I suggested that the toys would be good for a preschool or daycare and indeed, a preschool teacher came by and bought them all. It was much easier than trying to sell them piecemeal at a garage sale. I still had toys left to sell at the garage sale, by the way, and those went nicely, too.

I like having a good table full of toys at a garage sale because then people driving by that have children will want to stop and take a look, the kids find stuff and it gives the adults a chance to take a good look, too, whereas they might have just driven past otherwise.

One other tip I have is to place a newspaper ad advertising your garage sale, definitely. Decide what some of your popular and larger items might be and mention them. One year, we had two dog kennels to sell as well as patio furniture and toys, and we put all three things in the ads and lo and behold, tons of people stopped by to check them out, due simply to the ad, and they all sold well and for good money.

Places like Staples and Office Max and Office Depot sell pre-printed colorful sticker dots with the prices already on them, go purchase a pack of those because it will make pricing your items so much quicker and easier. If you have clothing, consider selling it all for $1 an item to make tagging and selling a much easier proposition. If you have any single items that need to go for more, hang them up separately and away from the $1 clothing.

Find out what the law is on garage sales in your area. In our city, you need to have a permit but permits are free. You are not allowed to put up signs to lead people to your sale but you can place an ad in the paper. Once we did not understand the signage law (and thought it was silly and ridiculous) and we put up signs, only to have an inspector come by and give us a warning, next offense would be a $5000 fine. Ouch. Our problem was that we had put our ADDRESS on the signs. Some people in our area get away with the sign thing by using GARAGE SALE ---> signs with no address and making sure to be vague enough that a city official could not legally make a fine stick...claim ignorance, "those aren't my signs, officer".

Start EARLY! We put a start and end time in our ads, we usually put Saturday 8-3pm (after that, no one seems to come) but we make sure that one of us are in the yard getting ready and willing to accept money by 7am. It'd be better to start by 7am but we are not morning people and we're never ready that early. But I find that there are tons of early birds, tons of them and it's really worthwhile to get an early start. In our 5 or 6 previous garage sales, even when we had them on Sat and Sun, 1/2 to 2/3s of our proceeds were in our hands by 10am Saturday morning.

Make sure you have at least two adults working the sale, preferably get a friend or family member to come help out, even if only from 7 or 8-10 am. They can set up their own table with their own stuff and sell it as well.

In our area, the law is that you can only have a garage/yard sale once every six months, then you have to wait six months for your next one (to avoid career garage salers I guess). You can have one that lasts Friday-Sunday though. if you have such a law, you might want to consider having a 2 or 3 day sale, depending on how much stuff you have. Or if you have no such law, then save your left-overs and have another sale 2 or 3 weeks later. Chances are that you will have completely different people show up at your sale. If you have a two day sale, consider having a Friday-Saturday sale. I have a friend who did that here and she said 75% of her proceeds came from Friday and it was way busier than on Saturday, but we do have a high percentage of retired people here, so that might make a big difference.

Quote:
I just don't think that i have the modivation to start. Please help me?
Where do you donate stuff if you donate i know there is a womens shelter would that be better than taking it to a thrift store?
(1) Start by making a list or spreadsheet of what you want to get rid of and how much you think you could sell it with.

(2) Figure out where you can store/stack the items as you collect them. Do you have an empty shed you could use? A guest room? A closet that you could empty out and fill with only yard sale items for a while? A corner of your living room where you could stack boxes of for sale items?

(3) Buy price stickers. Then as you put the items in the pile, immediately price them so you have far less to do immediately before the sale. On the list that you have made, quickly jot down what you are asking for the items. You might raise or lower the prices at a later date, or just want to remember what you were selling all the other CDs for.

(4) Go room by room and start decluttering and stacking elsewhere.

(5) Pick a date, perhaps in two weekends from now and put a large, visible note on your fridge, to constantly remind you of your garage sale goal. Also, place a calendar goal as to how much time spent every day in which room as you declutter your way through your house.

Good luck! HTH

Oh yeah and a women's shelter would be a great idea, especially if they will give you a donation receipt. Just try to sell as much as you can before you donate the rest.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

There is going to be a community yard sale in a while and the way i take it is that they are going to post for the community but you sell in your own yard. We live down 2 mile gravel road but our community is tiny do i need to still put signs up?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
There is going to be a community yard sale in a while and the way i take it is that they are going to post for the community but you sell in your own yard. We live down 2 mile gravel road but our community is tiny do i need to still put signs up?
Honestly, I've heard that friends who participated in community garage sales didn't do very well, simply because there was so much for people to choose from and spend their money on. If you want most of your stuff to sell and for the best prices possible, then I'll suggest two sales.

Could you have your own garage sale two weeks before the community one, place your own ad, then sell the rest at the community sale? I would put signs up, regardless, if you can. It will help ensure that everyone who drives into your community will indeed drive by your yard, instead of just driving down a street or two and leaving.

I suppose it depends on what you want. Never at any of our sales did we sell everything that we had. I have had friends who had just small amounts of stuff and sold maybe $40 worth. I know when I drive around or come upon a yard sale, I won't even stop if the sale is too small or if I don't see something large that I might want. And if the kids are acting up at a large community sale (say, a bunch of houses in a cul-de-sac), then I will leave before looking at all of them.

I'm just suggesting that you cover all the bases and get as many people looking at your stuff as is possible. Good luck!
Old 04-26-2006, 05:09 AM

I am watching this thread. Great ideas so far! I definitely agree with doing your own sale before a community one. Maybe note the kinda stuff you are selling in your add. I know I always make a beeline for garage sales with children's items or baby stuff.

User Tag List