Dirty money now clean how do I sell it? Collectables, valuables...ohmy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2006, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay so dh while doing our papers...cleaned out his closet.
GIRLS there was a standing chest you know the mechanics type...
five feet tall - FULL OF COINS!!

He thinks they are valuable I think they take up one closet...
that coin collection better be worth...over $1000 dollars.... as thats how much space $ wise its taking up...I digress.

He thinks its oh so valuable...an investment. For me investments don't take up that kind of room.

How do I make him cull the herd (of three sets of every freakin coin denomination since they started he could get his hands on) no we are not talking mint issued coins....yeah those hold real value all circulation. and if my kids want to take up coin collecting its coin collecting not taking dad's stash...kwim?

how and where do I sell these once he's admitted they should go?
what could I do for him that he'd see the value transfered?
bill paying aint going to do it? should I get him to trade his set for some fewere more valuable take up less space?

8 might be enough
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2006, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, since they're his, for as hard as it must be, why don't you just leave him alone about it. I bet if he wanted to sell or trade them he would do it.

How would you react if he decided that you were going to get rid of something that was yours? He's an adult. It's his stuff. He gets to decide what he wants to do with it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 04-28-2006, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

actually he reacted quite well.
he said he wanted to keep the collection as it was something him and his father did together I pointed out his kids can't collect crap if he has 3 copies of the entire sets!

also I did press on him I don't want to give our children stuff they might feel obligated to keep just because their father 'valued' it they should keep what they like that has sentimental value to them.

So I asked him to have it appraised and then either trade it in for a few coins that are sentimental (year they were born etc) and put it in our safety deposit box and if he wants to collect coins with his kids do it with them (Not ban them from his collection) and that we could start getting the kids a proof set for each birthday as those would retain more value and would be specific to them.

as far as my collections have gone I have managed and it was very hard to let them go. I found many great homes for people who were more thrilled about them than I was at that point. When I realised my kids didn't care for my collections it became easier.

Its not that I want to toss his stuff.....per se I just want to keep the stuff that has 'meaning' not just keeping stuff for stuff's sake or because we place a value on the stuff.... we live uptown in a major city space is at a premium any time.....

and really what purpose do 'collections' serve? aren't most of them clutter inducing, emmotionally based attachments to things above their useful value?

Quote:
Well, since they're his, for as hard as it must be, why don't you just leave him alone about it. I bet if he wanted to sell or trade them he would do it.
this is a guy who has kept EVERYTHING his boyscout uniforms (the badges are pretty cool I want to frame them mind you) he hoards... he can't let go of things even if they are broken, useless he has 40 of them....

Quote:
How would you react if he decided that you were going to get rid of something that was yours? He's an adult. It's his stuff. He gets to decide what he wants to do with it.
True but keep in mind his stuff takes up the entire largest bedroom we have, we don't have much squarefootage and I'd like more space to 'live'. And he has been successful in getting me to part with my collections (sometimes by 'force' like when he dropped my dollhouse... and never fixed it... ) so I am returning the favour in a way.... I wouldn't ask him to part with stuff that had sentimental value but I want to pass on to my children not hoarding, not holding on to stuff we don't need... I want to model that for them.

8 might be enough
Old 04-28-2006, 05:55 PM

FYI - some boyscout patches, neckerchiefs whatnot can be valuable, so check ebay before you toss it...

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 04-28-2006, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

No I wouldn't sell his boyscout stuff I actually want them professionally framed he was quite the boyscout....lol but still is unprepared.

I just don't know where to sell the coins...

8 might be enough
Old 07-05-2006, 05:33 AM

I would kill him lol.
Poor girl!
You could point out that if plans on passing them on to the kids he might want to get them organized....like put them into coin books, as no one is going to appreciate a giant heap of unorganized coins that they will one day have to drag into their own home.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:13 AM

i would probably call around and see if you could get an appraisal.... that way you know if its worth selling, if thats what he wants to do, and i bet you could find help in selling too

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 07-07-2006, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

hmm appraisal good idea... but I wondered if also since we are moving countries in a few weeks (UGH) if maybe anyone knew about those 'make a wish' foundations if maybe there's some sick little kid who loves coins who would really think this collection was neat anyone know how to go about that?

8 might be enough
Old 07-09-2006, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo
FYI - some boyscout patches, neckerchiefs whatnot can be valuable, so check ebay before you toss it...
Yeah. I tossed my OA sash in some moment of insanity years back, and I can't reclaim it. : Stupid.

User Tag List