May Declutter Challenge - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 83 Old 05-19-2006, 09:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to Goodwill today and came back with 3 bags (I know, I know, but one had 1 bulky item and the other two were not full by any means)

So now I'm going to send back the same bags-full of my stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 83 Old 05-21-2006, 04:20 PM

my mom is supposed to come later this afternoon and pick up a table that we are getting rid of. so yesterday i spent some time clearing off our other table to take downstairs to replace the table that is leaving. Also took some books and puzzles to a friend's house for her son.

puzzles, books, and things trashed from the table -- 28 -- which brings my total up to 455.
#63 of 83 Old 05-21-2006, 09:20 PM

I have had almost zero declutter time this month. I have fallen so short of my goal.

I got to do a bit more in the garage today. Filled to large bags of trash and got together some paper bags & boxes for recycling.

So, my total so far is about 50 items.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#64 of 83 Old 05-21-2006, 09:44 PM

We had a yard sale this weekend. Got rid of quite a bit and made $150. I had no idea we had accumulated so much in four years. Very cleansing getting rid of it.
#65 of 83 Old 05-22-2006, 11:42 AM

I want to join you, and the situation is too desperate to wait until June! Last night, while searching for the toilet paper I KNEW I had somewhere, I found the rebate forms for 3 cell phones we had purchased, and I was 3 weeks past the deadline for sending them in . I lost out on $150 just from sheer disorganization. I feel like I can't breath from all the "Stuff". My goal for the summer is to:

Totally clear out my basement bedroom so my son has a spot to play his drums. Right now that room is full of clothing, tupperware, a broken marching drum, extra furniture we don't know what to do with, toys (and my kids are 17 and 16 !!!!!), and Lord knows what else.

Clear off my back porch and set up a neat, easy to use recycle center and pet area (food, litter, etc.)

There is sooo much more I need to do, but if I over-goal, I will do nothing, I just know it! I plan to start on my back porch today - wish me luck, please!
#66 of 83 Old 05-22-2006, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkmom
I want to join you, and the situation is too desperate to wait until June! Last night, while searching for the toilet paper I KNEW I had somewhere, I found the rebate forms for 3 cell phones we had purchased, and I was 3 weeks past the deadline for sending them in . I lost out on $150 just from sheer disorganization. I feel like I can't breath from all the "Stuff". My goal for the summer is to:

Totally clear out my basement bedroom so my son has a spot to play his drums. Right now that room is full of clothing, tupperware, a broken marching drum, extra furniture we don't know what to do with, toys (and my kids are 17 and 16 !!!!!), and Lord knows what else.

Clear off my back porch and set up a neat, easy to use recycle center and pet area (food, litter, etc.)

There is sooo much more I need to do, but if I over-goal, I will do nothing, I just know it! I plan to start on my back porch today - wish me luck, please!
I noticed you live in IL- did I happen to look at your house for sale? This sounds like the clutter the owner accumulated and caused me to run away from that house!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#67 of 83 Old 05-22-2006, 02:11 PM

No, I live downstate. Actually, the public areas of my house look pretty good - I just have these hidden areas that I throw things in thinking I'll get to it "someday" and someday never comes.

I did finish my back porch!! I think one of my major problems is I overestimate how much time it will take me to do something, so I never start because I don't think I'll have enough time to finish. Organizing my porch and throwing out the bag of trash I accumulated only took 45 mins from start to finish.
#68 of 83 Old 05-22-2006, 02:53 PM

yippee! I feel like the past 24 hours have been pretty good for getting rid of stuff -- my mom came yesterday and took a giant bag of tissue paper and 22 gifts bags home with her, along with a kitchen table, a chair, a pair of jeans, and a family heirloom (too weird to explain). then today my dh mailed off two books and took a giant bag of papers to shred at work. a friend came to visit and took a bunch of toys, some baby clothes, and her stroller that we had borrowed.

all in all, that brings me up to 500 items! woo hoo! we still have lots left to get rid of, but i feel good about what we are accomplishing. i sorted through a closet today and pulled out a lot of clothes that we don't need to take with us to denver. i'm trying to be really brutal. now i just need dh to look through the closet too and see if we can cull any more!
#69 of 83 Old 05-22-2006, 03:24 PM

Yay, 1 more item gone. Thank you Craigs List.

I sold a 50lb bag of play sand.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#70 of 83 Old 05-23-2006, 11:08 AM

More progress this weekend:

9 items to freecyclers
bag to clothing donation bin

Working on these two:
6) Organize DD's clothes - I'm going to try a 3 bin system. One bin for "keepers" for the next baby, one bin for consignments and the final bin for donations.
7) Plan backyard space - deck? patio? remove a tree?
#71 of 83 Old 05-23-2006, 01:12 PM

I have freecycled another box of toddler clothes, shoes and books. A box of cd's and some toys and an old coat.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#72 of 83 Old 05-24-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufomander
Yippee! I participated in the February challenge which was the first one I've ever done. We plan to move from Indiana to Denver sometime in the next 2 weeks -2 months, so we can definitely use another one.
Well, our official move date is june 15th, so i'm sure glad i'm working on all of this stuff!
I am going to try the 500 item thing and also work on the following three things (suggestions from my dh, who will definitely be my partner in at least the middle one)
i'm at 524 items -- got rid of a bookshelf and random toys and bath stuff, etc

1. dd's toys -- getting rid of tons are either very similar or that she is growing out of -- she didn't start with tons, but suddenly has lots. ideally i could sell them for teeny bits of money, but one way or another we need to have lots less toys moving with us.
we've definitely gotten rid of a lot of toys -- probably could do a bit more weeding, though -- maybe i need to ask dh to help me do one last brutal sorting.

2. sort through boxes in the basement -- this is still leftover from the february challenge, though there is certainly less there than there was at the beginning of february. we need to go through the boxes, get rid of a lot, put the remainder in smaller boxes, and label them extremely well...
pulled up a suitcase full of SMELLY old barbies -- some that were my mother's before they were even mine. they must go. beyond that, dh says the basement is clear. we'll have to do a once over to make sure we don't have anything else down there and then there is a shed outside that i think we may have some things in too....

3. Kitchen paraphernalia - we have stuff we never use and we have things like spatulas that really just need to be replaced and knives that really don't cut.
this is one that we haven't really started yet.....
so yeah... a final sorting of the toys, making sure the basement AND shed are clear, and work on the kitchen
#73 of 83 Old 05-24-2006, 11:44 AM

I love decluttering... I can't tell y'all how happy I am to have found this thread. Thanks for the kick in the bottom.
#74 of 83 Old 05-24-2006, 10:31 PM

Another 3 items to a freecycler.

I may have to change my to-do list. DH was clearing the gutters and found a sizeable hole in the roof (near the gutter - no damage done). We were hoping to wait until next year, but it looks like we will be roofing this year instead of backyard planning

Well, now's my chance to install a skylight and look into solar energy -- I should try to be positive
#75 of 83 Old 05-27-2006, 09:12 AM

Tossed the smelly stinky Barbies in the trash, 564 items.

hoping to start working on the kitchen by monday!
#76 of 83 Old 05-27-2006, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

naking here!

got Maggies room done. Had a few bins of office "stuff" to go thru and did!

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#77 of 83 Old 05-28-2006, 04:45 PM

dh is packing all the appliances, etc on top of the fridge and we'll go through kitchen stuff soon!
#78 of 83 Old 05-29-2006, 06:07 PM

I started late. I'm at 25 items and will carry over into the June Challenge. We're frecycling a lot of stuff. Whatever doesn't go will go to Goodwill.
#79 of 83 Old 05-29-2006, 10:39 PM

Well I have lost count of the stuff I have managed to get rid of.

I am having a garage sale in 2 weeks ~ and anything that doesn't sell goes to Freecyle or charity as soon as possible.

I have finally got rid of enough stuff that I now feel I have a normal amount of clutter as opposed to before when I had an overabundance of clutter.

Maggie
#80 of 83 Old 05-30-2006, 09:36 AM

I've gotten rid of 53 things! I'm keeping a list in my blog, which you can see in my SIG. I thought it would be cool to keep a list. =)

I am having a good day but these are SO cute : :
#81 of 83 Old 05-30-2006, 09:45 AM

my dh is as we speak taking a load of stuff to the second hand store -- kitchen pots, dd's toys, puzzles, books, and random stuff to boot. yeehaw!
oh, and when he comes back, we'll all go out and mail a ton of books!
#82 of 83 Old 05-30-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I unloaded some diaper stash and some dvds on the tp

#83 of 83 Old 05-30-2006, 01:10 PM

Can hardly wait to see the June declutter challenge start up... I've been out of the decluttering loop for a couple months (basically since Miles arrived!) but I"m looking forward to getting back on the decluttering train!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page