What to do w/ the stuff you purge - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2006, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I have spent the last couple days purging the house and closets to move everything around and make room for baby. To say that I keep just about everything would be an understatement. I have prom dresses from high school still! So, a lot of it has gone in the garbage and some stuff I'm going to e-bay, but there is a lot of stuff that I know won't really sell on e-bay. Especially clothes - mens suits, women's suits, nice dress shirts and brand name stuff. Most of it is a couple years old at least so not stuff that is in hot demand now.

What do you all do with that kind of stuff? Unfortunately we just had a garage sale about a month ago and dh isn't going to go for another one anytime soon. I'm hoping for one at the end of the year, but can't hold this stuff all till then. Do I send it all to the thrift store? Is it worth the extra trip (about 12 miles) to take stuff like this to a consignment store? I've never taken stuff to one and not really sure if it would get me much money or if it's more of just a pain. Other suggestions? Thanks! I'm really trying to be ruthless and get rid of TONS of stuff, but I tend to get hung up on not wanting to throw away the money spent on stuff (or possibly the money we could get for it) or I have sentimental attachments to stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2006, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could give them to a thrift store. I've done that. You'll get a tax benefit from donating the clothes.

I would try to Craiglist the stuff you've purged. There might be someone out there willing to pay for those clothes.

Last option, Freecycle the items. One person's trash is another's treasure. Of course, you won't get any money if you Freecycle but at least the clutter will be gone.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:42 PM

I'm doing the same thing, and am donating most of the stuff. I just want it gone! I'm going to send out an email at work to find someone to buy the futon, tv, dvd player, vcr, toaster, toaster oven, and coffee pot. Baby and maternity clothes are going to Once Upon A Child, and everything else - books, misc clothes - is going to Goodwill. The stuff I'm selling, I'm selling cheap, and I'll probably use the money for a rug for our family room or something like that.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:49 PM

I generally just haul everything to a thrift store. I'm too lazy to run my own garage sale. Or I freecycle it, just gave away an unused stereo and a baby gate.
Old 05-07-2006, 05:00 PM

If you have nicer/newer clothing in good condition, consider donating it to a women's shelter. Around here, they need "work" clothing to help women who are interviewing or starting a new job and need clothes to help them look the part for a professional work place. They are (have to be) somewhat picky about what they accept because it is important that the women look up-to-date but so long as its not 80s power suits with ginormous shoulder pads then I think its a great outlet for nice clothing.

I've never tried consignment and don't know anyone who has felt sucessful at it. Items that we aren't garage selling will be picked up by one of the local charities. I find that it takes me forever (months) to make a drop-off, even if I have the items in my car so for us having the home pick-up is key.

I have to say though, since we made so much $$ last time at our garage sale we'll be trying most things that way first.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:49 PM

or if you know a friend having a garage sale? they always like enough stuff.

Women's shelters usually take the majority of stuff from clothing, toys, and stuff to help women set up new homes.

8 might be enough
Old 05-08-2006, 10:16 AM

I just donated a whole trunkful of outgrown kids' clothes to the thrift store on Saturday. You can get a receipt to deduct on your taxes if you want (I usually just drop the stuff off though). It's just easier and less stressful to not have to deal with the stuff.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 AM

If I know someone personally who could use it, I call them first and ask them if they want it. Most things I take to the thrift store as I run across them. It's right on the way to do a lot of my other errands, so I stop there frequently.

I've freecycled some of the bigger things.

I did have a small yard sale with our neighborhood one this last weekend as I've found a few things while cleaning the past couple weeks. That's my least favorite way, though.
Old 05-08-2006, 08:50 PM

I second all the previous posts' suggestions. Freecycle, friend's yard sale, Craigslist, consignment shops, etc.

Another thing to point out about donating the items, often times the tax break you get for donating the item is more than the money you would make off trying to sell the item.

I have signed up for pick up of donated goods online through the salvation army a bunch of times and there is a chart on their website for helping you decide the value of the goods.

hth
Old 05-09-2006, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracylhl
I'm really trying to be ruthless and get rid of TONS of stuff, but I tend to get hung up on not wanting to throw away the money spent on stuff (or possibly the money we could get for it) or I have sentimental attachments to stuff.
I think this is the key statement. I felt the same way...and it took a lot to get over it, but it was worth it in the end. I was an eBay fanatic. I've made tons of money on it. However, my time has been limited and I didn't feel like spending days and days listing eBay "stuff". That shelf sat there forever full of the stuff and everytime I saw it, I felt guilty for not making time to take care of it.

We loaded up a large trailer of stuff I was supposed to sell, and took it to the thrift store. It was a huge weight off of me...and I don't regret it one bit.

If it's an item that you know will bring in hundreds of dollars, I would sell it. I did sell a couple things that I knew would sell fast and for a good amount. But all the little things just aren't worth the time in my opinion.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
Old 05-09-2006, 05:08 PM

This is all so helpful - though I'm not contributing to the conversation (no time - tiny baby at home), I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your thoughts - helps me big time!!!
Old 05-12-2006, 11:15 AM

I've done consignment shops, given things to the women's shelter when there was one who would take items, done one yardsale ( and will NEVER do that again!) and have just dropped things at the thrift shop.

What is slowing us down so much now is dh wants to sort and itemize everything for tax purposes...and I'd rather just box it up and give it away.

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
Old 05-12-2006, 01:55 PM
p.s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly
\What is slowing us down so much now is dh wants to sort and itemize everything for tax purposes...
This could be therapeutic to deal with the sentimental side/aspect of things. Along this lines is one reason why I clean my own home > I see and feel how much stuff we have, how long it takes to maintain it, then I buy less.

Maybe it would be good if getting rid of stuff were as diffiuclt as it is easy to accumulate it .

If any is good quality cotton, how about making soaker pads, diaper inserts, nursing pads, braided rugs, rags, oven mitts? Tightwad Gazette has great ideas for what to do with STUFF.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:09 PM

I donate my overflow baby stuff to a crisis pregnancy center. They will give it to parents in need free of charge. Clothes go to St. Vincent De Paul, the rest goes to Purple Heart or Goodwill.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:39 AM

donate to a women's shelter or a homeless shelter. That's a way to know that your things are useful to someone else...

Former dreads.gifwearing, treehugger.gifing, pole dancing, read.gifpushing, ribbonpurple.gifsurvivor & single mama extraordinaire to energy.gif.  

Now that's a mouthful!!! computergeek2.gif & follow it!   

Old 05-13-2006, 11:06 PM

i take my stuff to a food pantry type place that has a room for clothes etc and gives it for free. when u know others will get use out of it, it makes it easier to give away more junk
Old 05-13-2006, 11:15 PM

Lots of good suggestions so far...just wanted to add another for things like your prom dresses, bridesmaids dresses & suits...donate them to your local high school's drama club. Lots of times, they have a costume 'department' that could always use some additions.

User Tag List