Moving In Woes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-08-2006, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I purged like mad when I packed all this crap up. So why am I unpacking so much stuff I don't need???!?!?

I guess I gained a little perspective during the 6 months all this stuff spent in storage. Like that I don't need three juice pitchers when we don't even drink juice!

I'm frustrated because I feel suffocated by all this stuff, this literal baggage we brought with us, but yet I still am so affected by the consumerism of this culture when I go into a store I can't help but want all the shiny new things! AAAARRRGGG

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Fay

I had a similar experience when we moved last year. Especially with the kitchen stuff, I was shocked at how much unnecessary baggage we had. Even though we had purged carloads and carloads to local charities (and had the Salvation Army take away a small truckload) before we moved, I still had to call another charity to take away six large boxes of stuff two weeks AFTER we moved in. And a year later, I'm still giving away stuff. All these years, I thought I was this sensible, frugal person, but now I know I'm a monster consumer just like most of the rest of the USA.

By the way, I had to respond to your post because I'm a Latin teacher, and I truly appreciate your signature.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#3 of 6 Old 05-08-2006, 04:31 PM

Move often enough, and you'll start to take a different view of the "shiny pretties" at the store. Everything I look at these days I examine with an eye to how easily it'll fit in a box.
#4 of 6 Old 05-08-2006, 05:25 PM

Haha! We've moved 5 times in 6 years..And we're about to do it again..Hopefully for at least 5 years! I purged like mad when we moved last year and I'm still finding tons of stuff I don't want and haven't used in a year! Like straight legged jeans from 1997..Uhm? Hello??? What was I thinking??

Anyway it's never too late!! Give it away now and stay out of the stores!!!

The only thing I tell DH I always want is jewelry and scrapbooking stuff as presents..The jewelry is small and the scrapbooking stuff gets used up so it's not sitting around!! LOL!!

I'm sticking to a books/art supplies/outside toys rule for new kids' items that come into the house for a loooooong time..They have all the toys they need!!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#5 of 6 Old 05-08-2006, 05:47 PM

Same here. Before we moved I purged TONS of stuff. I got rid of another TON as we were unpacking in the new house. And here I am a year later still purging things that I can't figure out why we moved with us!!!!!

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#6 of 6 Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymoo
I guess I gained a little perspective during the 6 months all this stuff spent in storage. Like that I don't need three juice pitchers when we don't even drink juice!
I had to laugh when I read this because I can totally relate. Sometimes I just don't get my thought process. I am learning a lot about myself as I purge my stuff...why do I keep stuff I don't even use?? I'm just now figuring it out and it's been life changing. Next time we move...I want the smallest UHaul!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page