Do you have a cell phone? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 74 Old 05-23-2006, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, we don't have one. We have a land line, but canned the long distance plan and got a calling card for long distance calls. We have an answering machine to catch calls while were out. There have been a few times I would have liked to have had a cell phone, such as the last few weeks before each of our children were born (incase of going into labor and not being able to reach my husband.)
#62 of 74 Old 05-23-2006, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFmom
I don't have one. I did have one for two years for emergencies only. I think I might have used it a total of twice. The company changed the plan to make it much more expensive, so I dropped it.

I'm thinking of doing a research project on cell phone usage. I work in a public place where it is pretty easy to eavesdrop on cell phone calls. In fact, it can be hard to avoid it.

My preliminary research shows that about 90% of all calls are
1. People talking about food--what to buy or what they've eaten
2. People providing an insane amount of positional detail. "I'm on the third floor of building ABC right now. I'm turning the corner to enter the stairwell..."
3. Women gossiping about what other women are wearing.
4. Sports

I don't need to spend $40 month to do any of the above.
Ummmm, those are some odd research results... I do occasionally call my DH during the day when we stop in to a grocery store to see if there is anything he needs. I do also call him numerous times a day just to speak, to keep in touch, ask how his work is going, whether he's going to be late and to tell him cute things that the children have done, etc. I am not often home during the day so I call him whenever I feel like speaking to him. He loves being privvy to so many little details of our day, even though he works long hours.

Another thing I just realized that I use my cell phone for CONSTANTLY (after reading of a PP using it to keep track of time), is that I use the calendar, organizer and reminder options on my phone. I have everyone's phone number and address and sometimes directions to their house programmed into my phone. I put in all of our playdates, classes, appointments, reminders, events, field trips, etc., into the phone and have it remind me half an hour or an hour before them. I enter grocery lists into it, to do lists and information that I want to remember when I am out and about (no need for a pen and paper). My phone has a full keyboard which does help matters a bit.

The one thing I worry about when it comes to cell phones is that there has been research saying that brain tumors are more prevalent for those who frequently use cell phones (for work, for instance) on the side that they hold their phone to their head. I worry about that not for myself but for my DH who speaks on his phone constantly for work, since he's out on the field much of the time, going from customer to customer. Using an earpiece and keeping the cell phone away from your head helps, supposedly.
#63 of 74 Old 05-25-2006, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwinegall
why, unless you had a large family or were trying to keep down on expenses, why would you allow a landline to tie you down? If you're waiting for a phone call you have to sit and wait, while with a cell phone you can go for a walk and enjoy the outdoors.
I don't wait around for phone calls. I can't think of any reason why I would. And I think this thread has covered a number of reasons why people do not want cell phones-
#64 of 74 Old 05-27-2006, 03:18 PM

nope..don't have one-don't need one.

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

#65 of 74 Old 05-27-2006, 04:35 PM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
We have a lot of potential justifications for having a cell phone but we don't have one.

We homeschool, and once a week all winter long I drive treacherous rural mountain roads 90 minutes one-way to get my kids to their music lessons and other activities. When I say rural, I mean rural. There's one 40 minute stretch with only one residence along it ... and they don't have a telephone of any description. Once in a blizzard, with three kids under 5, one just 2 weeks old, I had an accident. We huddled together in the wrecked van under blankets, knowing that eventually someone would drive by. They did.

Our town has nothing but some artisan's shops and convenience store, so when we do our homeschool trip, that's our chance to buy groceries and supplies. If we miss buying something, it's at least a week before we can get it. If we had a cellphone dh could call us while we're shopping if there's something he's discovered we need. Sometimes we have to go a week without tortillas or frozen corn or a shear bolt for the tiller. Nothing dreadful happens.

Dh is on-call 24/7 every other week as the physician for our local ER. It would be handy for him to be able to toodle around without having to phone the ER periodically to say "I'm at Mrs. Takenaka's doing a house call. Call me here if you need me," or "I'm at my MIL's for dinner. You can reach me here until about 9. I'll call when I get home." But he doesn't have a cell phone so a few times a week he uses a land line to make a call like that. No problem.

I've got four kids, three of whom are involved heavily in sports and arts activities. When they're all in different places, I can't necessarily be reached. If one of them broke an arm or something, the coach or teacher would send someone to get me, or would be able to phone someone who would be able to come and get me. My kids always know where I am. People pull together and find solutions if there's an emergency.

Why don't we have a cellphone? Well, chiefly because we live somewhere without cell phone service. But I like it this way. I notice huge differences between the pace of life where we live and the pace in towns which do have cell service. Cell phones seem to up the ante on the pace of life and the expectation of immediate availability and immediate gratification. People multi-task more. Patience, the willingness to manage without or to defer gratification are in shorter supply where cellphones are available. They change our expectations.

Three quotes on the topic of cell phone service from visitors to our area, copied from our community's message board:

Quote:
just to add my two bits worth as an outsider and regular vacationer in the new denver area; i like the fact that there is no cell phone access. i come there to get away from all the buzz of city life, and i do enjoy not hearing cell phone rings, one sided conversations, and not having to look out for inattentive drivers with phones pasted to their ears. i think that being a cell phone free area is an assett, and that tourists looking for a true valley experience would appreciate knowing what you don't have to offer. we all got along just fine without these gadgets before. just because we have the technology, doesn't mean we have to use it.
Quote:
I am deliriously happy to be back in the land of the sane: I don't need to overhear people's inane telephone conversations while they are walking down the street; I don't need to have my face-to-face conversations constantly interrupted by invasive ringtones; I am GLAD you don't have a cell here – the small sacrifice of not being available 24/7 no matter where you are is more than compensated by the relative sanity of life here, the beauty and peace of the surroundings, and the opportunity to take a one-hour stroll down Main Street, chatting with folks free from the cell phone invasion. Besides which, I LOVE the look on other tourists' faces when they discover – gasp – that they can't phone the office from the middle of the lake (or the middle of the restaurant).
Quote:
I understand from experienced accommodators of corporate retreats that there are many benefits to a lack of cell phone service, and that it is a real selling point. Attendees are not interrupted in their deliberations and so the corporation gets their undivided attention. Partners of attendees also benefit from the quiet and the slower pace of life that accompanies a more planned approach to communication outside the valley.
Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#66 of 74 Old 05-27-2006, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwinegall
why, unless you had a large family or were trying to keep down on expenses, why would you allow a landline to tie you down? If you're waiting for a phone call you have to sit and wait, while with a cell phone you can go for a walk and enjoy the outdoors
Quote:
Originally Posted by srain
I don't wait around for phone calls. I can't think of any reason why I would. And I think this thread has covered a number of reasons why people do not want cell phones-
You took my statement out of context and made it sound like I'm harping on people with landlines or people who don't want cell phones. I was leading into why the Amish don't have landlines, but some are chosing to get cell phones. I just don't want people to think that I was criticizing anyone for not having a cell phone or anything.
#67 of 74 Old 05-27-2006, 05:34 PM

I had a cellphone about eight years ago when I was pregnant and alone during the day in an unfamiliar city. My husband wanted me to be able to get in touch with him when I was out and about in case I went into labor.

But then we went years without one...And now, living overseas, I don't see how we could survive (ok, I'm exaggerating) without one. LOL EVERYONE I know has one. It's actually cheaper, in most areas, to use cellphones that your home phone. And it's cheaper to SMS (text) than to call. I rarely call my friends. We almost exclusively text each other. And since most people I know don't spend much time at home or have erratic schedules, it's easier to get in touch with them via cell.

Edited cuz I didn't read the rest of the posts: I agree that it's annoying to hear a cellphone ring when you are trying to eat dinner, relax or whatever. It is possible to put the cell on vibrate or turn down the ring or even turn the ringer off without turning off the phone. I think there are people who will be discourteous and annoying, cell phone or no. LOL
#68 of 74 Old 05-27-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverSky
The one thing I worry about when it comes to cell phones is that there has been research saying that brain tumors are more prevalent for those who frequently use cell phones (for work, for instance) on the side that they hold their phone to their head. I worry about that not for myself but for my DH who speaks on his phone constantly for work, since he's out on the field much of the time, going from customer to customer. Using an earpiece and keeping the cell phone away from your head helps, supposedly.
This is one of the big reasons I don't have a cell. I also choose not to have one because I just don't have anything going on in my life that I feel makes it that important to be instantly reachable. I don't even have an answering machine on my home line. I would actually like to get an answering machine, but I'm not in a major hurry. People can find me if it is truly important. And they do. My husband does have one, and thank G-d it's pre-paid so at least there are no unknown bills.

In college, I had a job that I worked exclusively on an on-call basis. I had a beeper for that, because when I was out attending class, in the library, eating, shopping, with friends, etc., often there was no landline I could give to my job. I got rid of the beeper as soon I stopped the job. I had no need for it otherwise. Now I am applying for nanny and babysitting jobs. I don't want to get a cell phone, but I have a feeling some people will want me to have one so they can reach me anytime. I hope not. We'll see.
#69 of 74 Old 05-28-2006, 01:37 PM

I don't have one because, as a single parent, I can't justify the cost of a landline AND a cell phone. My brother is currently living with me too so the landline gets used by him as well. If I were living alone (ie: just me and my son), I'd possibly ditch the regular phone and just go with a cell if I could find a really good plan. I don't spend much time on the phone at all and it would be handy to have a cell for emergencies and mobile contact with daycare, etc.

Peggy: full-time shift-working mama to Kiddo (Nov|04) and Babygirl (May|11). Fiancée to Babe. Step-mom to Tween, my bonus daughter (Sep|00). Currently TTC - http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3c1739

#70 of 74 Old 05-28-2006, 02:31 PM

I have a cell phone & treat it as the "bat phone", for the most part: only the daycare provider & my husband have/use the number. Being cellphone-accessible saved my son's life when he went into anaphylactic shock.

On weekends, I have unlimited minutes on my cell, so I treat it as free long-distance & catch up with friends & relatives.

I use my landline primarily as an answering service. Since I'm at work most of the week, I regard my home as my refuge, and generally end up screening calls in the evenings. (I was so glad when the "Do Not Call" list was instituted.)
#71 of 74 Old 05-28-2006, 09:11 PM

Have one but it is a tracphone.
#72 of 74 Old 05-29-2006, 01:24 AM

My husband and I have a family plan--two cell phones--and no landline. I often treat mine like a landline and "forget" it at home. I think it may be about time to teach my 5 year old daughter how to use it just in case, since she won't get her own for a few years (a prepaid plan probably). I tend to leave it on vibrate, since I detest hearing cell phones going off. Then I don't hear it when my Sergeant tries calling me.
#73 of 74 Old 05-29-2006, 03:10 AM

No cell phone and we only have an answering machine on the landline cos of dh. I could do without all of it. (Is that a phone vibrating in your pocket? Or are you just happy to see me?)

I hate listening to other people's LOUD problems and affairs and family insanity stories while I'm in a cafe having a nice cup of tea, or grocery shopping, or in line at the bank. I don't want to know that you didn't forget to pick up your herpes cream and will be home in 15 minutes. Arghh! And how many memorials to dead relatives will I have to see on people's cars and shirts before folks with cell phones stop driving and talking and killing other people's loved ones? Cell phones are like puppet strings for too many people. Ring and the string is tugged - GOTTA answer it - like it's running your life instead of being a tool that you have some choice over.

What I want to know is: how many people who have cell phones don't even look at it when it rings because you are busy doing something else and are not ready to take a call at that moment? I don't run for the land line if I'm busy. If it's important, they'll call back later, as my grandmother used to say.
#74 of 74 Old 05-29-2006, 03:29 AM

I have a cell phone. I use it about twice a month or so. I keep it in the car. I do not answer while driving. If a call comes in while driving I look to see who it was. If it seems important, I pull over and call them back or listen to the message. Normally I ignore it entirely until I have free time.
I check messages/missed calls list about once a week. I do not encourage people to call me on it. People who really need the number, know it. Anyone who doesn't know it is either extremely unlikely to have an urgent need to contact me, or else knows enough to call the right people (my mother, my workplace, etc) to track me down.
Mostly I like to have it for trips out of town. So DH can find me without calling all around, for meeting airport transport, driving alone at night, etc. I do think that eventually the brain tumor link will be firmly proven. However, I think that is really an issue for very frequent users. It freaks me out that my cousin (16) is text messaging or talking every free minute of his day. It is ridiculous!

We do have a land line and an answering machine. And caller ID. If I do not recognize the number on Caller ID, I let the machine pick up. If I am busy I let the machine pick up. I don't believe anybody has a "right" to get to talk to me whenever they want to. I make the choice to talk at that moment or not.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page