Do you have a cell phone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 05-10-2006, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think that cell phones are a wonderful invention. However, I think they can be quite evil. Does anyone here live without a cell phone? I've had one for so long (and no land line) that it would definitely take some getting used to. But there is so much yuckiness related to my cell phone. Driving while talking (I know!), people being able to find me anywhere (ugh!), everything turns "urgent", etc. I just get worried that I would be somewhere with my DD and we would be locked out, stranded, whatever. Or I would be pregnant, going into labor, etc. with no phone. Wow, it's amazing people lived without them for so long!

I would just love to get a dialogue started about these little beasts.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#2 of 74 Old 05-10-2006, 07:33 PM

Im proud to say...that now for the very first time in my life...at the age of 30, I got my very first cell phone. Im proud because I held out for so long. But now, I have a wahm business, and need it for business calls, and all that stuff. Plus, we also just got a second car...we went with one car for 10yrs. Dh feels FAR safer with me having a cell phone being out with the kids alone....in case I ahve an emergency.
#3 of 74 Old 05-10-2006, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana
...in case I have an emergency.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Have we, as a society, become emergency phobic? What would I do if I broke down on the road with no cell phone? I guess I would wait until someone stopped. Of course, my car hasn't broken down since 1997 And, I would be worried that the person that stopped was a serial killer, etc. What are the chances? Slim.

And oh my gosh, if I was pregnant, and I went into labor while driving? Well, I would just drive home and have the baby. Or if I was too far from town, I would pull over, go into the woods...build myself a fire, birth my baby under the tree while DD collected berries for my postpartum snack and then I would drive home. Bwaaa ha. That sounds like fun.

Convenience is a huge factor for us...being able to call and remind DH to bring something home from the grocery store, etc. Hmmmm...maybe we should try a cell-phone-less week and see if we all panic?

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#4 of 74 Old 05-10-2006, 08:06 PM

I have a cell phone and no landline...lol
#5 of 74 Old 05-10-2006, 08:10 PM

I have one of those prepaid TracFones. I'm a single mom of three kids. The oldest two are in school all day (two different schools, and my son has an autism-spectrum disorder), and I want to be available at all times if I'm needed. A cell phone is pretty much a must in my life right now.
#6 of 74 Old 05-10-2006, 08:25 PM

Almost 3 years ago, dh and I bought two pre-paid phones because we were expecting our first child and I needed to be able to get ahold of him and neither one of us was readily accessible. About 1.5 years later, one of them died. We never replaced it. We only use them for quick calls/when we are moving/on vacation/etc.

DH is carrying the cell phone every day right now as we are expecting no. 2 in a couple of weeks, but it usually just sits on the counter unless we take a day trip somewhere or have a need for it. I can't imagine someone being able to get ahold of me all of them time, and I really think they are a hazard on the road. We have to buy a certain number of minutes every 90 days, so we usually have a bunch of extra money stored on it.

One bad trend that I have noticed is that less places have payphones which is what we use in case of an emergency when we don't have a cellphone with us.
#7 of 74 Old 05-10-2006, 09:50 PM

we have a cell phone. my MIL pays for it. she got a family plan and both her kids a phone so the calls would be free...lol

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#8 of 74 Old 05-10-2006, 10:05 PM

I don't have one. There have been a few times when having one would have been "convenient," but I manage to function just fine without one.

Proud mom to superhero.gifds2 (7/05), angel2.gif ds 1 (born into heaven at 38 weeks 11/03), and 5 more angels angel.gif (4/02) angel.gif (7/10) angel.gifangel.gif (11/10) angel.gif (11/12)

#9 of 74 Old 05-10-2006, 10:38 PM

I have a tracfone that I buy prepaid minutes for. I need to add minutes! Mine is strictly for emergencies! I like the safety of it if I'm on the highway.

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#10 of 74 Old 05-10-2006, 10:42 PM

We don't have one and do just fine...

Warm wishes,
Tonya - Simple Living Mom of 5

Simple Living, Joyful Homemaking, Homeschooling Mom of 6
#11 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 02:17 AM

We do not have a landline so we have nicer cell phones. It is my PDA, phone, web browser and mp3 player all rolled into 1.
#12 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 02:23 AM

Yes, a pre-paid minutes one, not to on but stuff like "oh while your at the store I just remember we need...." Ya know stuff like that.
#13 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 02:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have one but i never talk while driving (I can't talk to my kids while driving), and I never feel inclined to answer it. i hate hate hate when i am talking to someone and they take a call. hello! Can you not let voice mail get it? We livei n the midwest and it is mostly just me and my girls so i really and quite often we are a milliopn miles from anywhere. we also drive a somewhat unreliable car. Also I hate wasting gas. hated it when it was $.98 a gallon (holy crap and I have onlyhad my liscence for 10 years) and i hate it now. so it is noce to be able to call dh from the store and ask what it was i went for . but otherwise I use maybe 100 minutes a month or about 3 minutes a day.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#14 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 02:26 AM

I got a verizon cell phone with a 1000(a month) text messages and I love txt so much do I txt over 1000 sometimes.
#15 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 07:36 AM

I use a cellphone and I use the "silent" setting, Caller ID, voicemail, and the "it's really really easy to call people back if I need to" function as appropriate.

I avoid having the cellphone take up time I don't have by treating it like a cellphone with all the bells and whistles and not like a phone with no anwering machine.

We too have no landline. We got the cellphones after dh was 3 hours late picking me up from work one evening.
#16 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 11:56 AM

I only have a cell phone.

Yes, having a phone with you at all times can start to interfere with life. But I think its just about how you use it. Just because the phone rings doesn't mean you have to answer it. As a general rule I put the phone on silent when I am out to dinner and I don't ever answer the phone while driving. So I can have my cell phone with me incase I need it or someone REALLY needs to reach me. But I don't worry about letting some calls go to voicemail. If I'm 99% certain my friend is just calling to chat I don't need to pick up the phone just to say "I'll call you later".

Mom to Kira March 2009
#17 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 12:30 PM

I've never had a cell phone. I can see how they are handy, but I don't feel I have a need for one.

Let's see... I had a flat tire last year. I just walked into a local business and asked to use the phone. No biggie. A couple years before that, we had a freak car accident, and we just waited until someone stopped.

If we leave the kids with a sitter and something happens... DH does have a pager (from work), and we also leave numbers for our family.

I don't know what other kind of emergency we'd need a cell phone for. I suppose that if I actually had a cell phone, I'd find a reason to 'need' it.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#18 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 12:38 PM

Yes, for emergency purposes. I don't even know my phone number for the thing. I usually forget to take it with me when I leave the car, much to my dh's horror. He is addicted to his cell phone.

Kathy-Mom to Blake & Mikaela
#19 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 12:49 PM

We got rid of our cell last year, and I honestly haven't felt too deprived. I'm a sahm and dh is always in his lab, so it is pretty easy for us to find each other and easy for dd's preschool to find either of us. Other than that I can't think of anyone who couldn't wait to talk to us. A couple weeks ago I got stuck in a bad traffic jam and was about 20 minutes late picking dd up from preschool. I felt terrible and really wished I had a phone, but dd, her teacher and I all got over it pretty quickly!

I think about the emergency uses too...but honestly, emergencies way predated cell phones and people somehow managed! We'll probably get one eventually (esp. if I go back to work) but this works for us for now.

eta: we got rid of it for financial reasons. We could find lots of other uses for $39.99 per month.

Trying to get my bearings...
#20 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 12:57 PM

I wouldn't be without one. I have one, dh has one. He drives about 100 miles a day to and from work. When my car broke down during rush hour bumper to bumper traffic on my way to meet dh and ds at a house we were going to look at, having a phone to call from was a huge stress saver. I am not always in my office near a phone. I have several ill family members and being reached is important.

I started listing all my reasons for having one, but it grew too long. We do a lot of driving and traveling. It is even in my pocket right now.
#21 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 01:02 PM

I have one, but I never use it. I keep it in my car (plugged in) just for emergencies. My husband has one and uses his quite a bit.

My son - age 7 - just informed me that he really needed a cell phone. That way he could call me during the day and tell me what he wanted to have for dinner.
#22 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 01:46 PM

I have never had one and don't want one

My DH was thinking about getting one since we're remodeling our new house and he thought it might be important for the GC to be able to get ahold of us, but now it turns out my stepdad will be doing all the work, and either staying with us, or staying at the new house, so guess it doesn't matter now!
#23 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 02:34 PM

We don't have a landline in our house, but we have 3 cellphones. One has the old landline phone number so we didn't have to change the "home" phone number with anybody. DH has one that he uses almost exclusively for work. He's in the car a lot (drove 400+ miles yesterday). I have a cell for work as well.

With the 2 cells that I use, I keep them on vibrate and usually screen the calls. If I'm in the middle of doing something I will only answer it if it is one of dc's schools, or my mom since she is recovering from 2 broken hips. Otherwise, I usually let it go to voicemail.
#24 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 02:53 PM

I don't have one. I'm sure there are times when it would be handy, but I think they tend to take over your life, in a lot of ways. My mother raised her kids just fine without one, and coped okay in countless emergencies, and therefore I know I don't "need" one anymore than I "need" most of the technology that is available to me. I pick and choose what I really want, and I don't really want a cell phone.

I think it's horribly dangerous for people to be using them while driving. It's illegal in my state (NJ) but people are still doing it. I think it's horribly rude when people are talking loudly on them in public places like movie theaters and in trains, and it really irks me when I'm spending time with a friend and they keep having to take calls that aren't really all that important just because the phone is ringing.

I don't like the idea of people being able to reach me wherever I go. I let my home machine take my calls, answer only the genuinely urgent calls, and call everyone else back while DD is sleeping, and otherwise I let my life and my time with DD be uncluttered by interruptions.

Plus, there have been studies done showing that the constant exposure of your head to the electrical field of the phone is dangerous. Check this one out: http://www.commondreams.org/headlines06/0507-06.htm
for instance.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#25 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 04:51 PM

I have one, but I mainly use it to see what time it is because I always forget my watch!

DH uses his all the time for his job, but his work foots the bill.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#26 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 07:53 PM

We don't have a landline. I have a cellphone and it acts as our home phone (even though I take it with me when I go somewhere). Dh has 2 - his Blackberry for work, and a regular cell for oersonal use. My parents pay for my phone and dh's personal phone (we're all on the same plan including my brother). I like having a cell phone, and I especially did when I was driving an older car. It gives me a sense of security when I'm out just me and ds. Where we live it's kind of far to drive into the small-ish city and we go there several times a week. I also like being able to get ahold of dh if I need him (which isn't too often). I don't really use it that much. I tend to not have long conversations over the phone. I'd much rather talk in person if possible.
#27 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 10:03 PM

I'm actively opposed to owning a cell phone. This is in large part because I'm opposed to cell phone towers- I find them hideously ugly, and while I haven't done any research on it myself, rumor has it they have negative health effects on those living near them, too.

A lot of people say they want them for "emergencies." FYI, even old, no-service cell phones still work to call 911. Many people consider non-911-worthy incidents to be emergencies, though-
#28 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 10:14 PM

I have one, but I could easily do without. I often forget to carry it or charge it for weeks. Becasue of this I refuse to pay big bucks monthly to own one. I used to have a tracfone to keep the cost of it down and that works perfectly - but now I've moved nearer to family my brother gave me his spare (he works for a cell company) so I get insane minutes for free. I use it a bit more since its free, but honestly, not much more!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#29 of 74 Old 05-11-2006, 10:33 PM

I had one for a short while, but service is really bad around here. It worked OK for the first few weeks and then it stopped. I could no longer use it in the town I lived in, or at my office, or en route, or at my childrens' school (actually it had never worked there or within 15 miles of it). When I called to complain, they told me it was because I didn't live in a service area. (Even though a short time before, it had worked quite well at my home and in my office, and in the areas around both.)

So I cancelled my service (fortunately they were OK about letting me out of the contract). I'd like to have a cell phone since I'm a single parent and it would be nice to be reachable when needed. However, a cell phone that is constantly out of the service area is, IMO, worse than none at all because there's the illusion that one can be reached, but it's false. Someday, when I find out about a plan that actually works where I need it to work, I'll try again.
#30 of 74 Old 05-12-2006, 10:43 AM

We both have one. There have been times I've needed one, DS was injured at school etc. and I wasn't home. We don't have long distance and DH's family lives out of state, so it's helped keep that bill down also.

If you don't want anyone to be able to get ahold of you, you can shut them off.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page