garage sale tips? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-12-2006, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
not sure if this is the right place...

i'm thinking about having a garage/yard/lawn/tag sale (whatever is the term in your locale). we've been gathering up the clutter like mad all winter and now it is time to push out the pile of stuff that is all in one spot in the front room.

i don't go to them myself and i've never done one myself before. so i could use any tips any of you might have.

what do i need to know and do in order to have a successful one? my goal isn't necessarily to make $$ on the stuff - i'm more focused on getting rid of the stuff.

how do i set prices?

what hours should it run?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#2 of 7 Old 05-12-2006, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I've started garage saling since DD was born, so I can offer what appeals to me as a buyer, would that help?

Lay stuff out on tables. I don't bother digging through boxes. OK, a box of books or records, but that's it.

A small box of really cheap toys (10 cent or free) left on the ground will keep my daughter entertained, which means I'll shop longer. If she falls in love with a toy, I don't mind paying the 10 cents. I don't like to let her browse through the regular-priced toys, because she'll invariably choose the most broken-down, over-priced toy as the one she can't live without.

Clothes must be sorted by size. Boy/girl is good, too.

Put the large pieces, especially large children's items (yard toys and such) out in front, so they're very visible. I usually drive through a neighborhood and decide whether or not to stop based on what I can see from the street.

Write a detailed ad for the paper. I don't have time to visit every single "garage sale Saturday 7-noon" ad listed. Give me details of what you have if you want to persuade me to visit. Listing the nearest major intersection helps, too.

Hours - most I see run Fri and Sat 7 - 3 or so. I wish they'd run later, because I work on Fridays and with DD's nap on Saturday I only get a few morning hours to shop. Can't figure out for the life of me why people don't open on Sunday afternoons, but they don't.

Either sticker prices on, or know what you've priced things. Don't make me tell you that this piece came from the $1 table and that piece from the $2 table. I usually don't remember where I picked it up, anyway.

HTH
KC
#3 of 7 Old 05-12-2006, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

part of the reason i don't frequent garage sales is that i can't get up early enough and out of the house to ot them. 7am? on a weekend? bah. i like the sunday afternoon idea... even better since there are a number of open houses nearby on most sunday afternoons (though maybe that's why people don't do yard sales on sunday afternoons... competition for real estate open houses.

#4 of 7 Old 05-12-2006, 10:59 PM

Around here, Friday and Saturday mornings is prime garage sale time. We usually have an annual garage sale (can't believe how much junk we accumulate in any given year!) and since we are soooo not morning people, we're rarely open before 9ish. My neighbors, on the other hand, are always ready to go by 7 or so and they claim that those first couple of hours are their busiest of the day!

As for pricing, go cheap if you really just want to get rid of stuff and don't care so much about making money. Kids clothes usually go pretty quick if they're half-way decent and cheap. An ad in the paper also helps- I believe that the HT is fairly cheap. So do signs at the entrance to your neighborhood.

One of my neighbors decided to have a garage sale next week and has recruited four or five other houses on the street to also have a garage sale the same day so we're all going in together for an ad in the paper. I'm looking forward to getting rid of some of the clutter that is overtaking our garage and closets. Whatever is still left at the end of the day is NOT going back into the garage- it's all gonna be loaded up and dropped off at Goodwill! (Then again, if you're not too concerned about making some extra cash, that just might be the easiest solution from the very beginning, LOL)
#5 of 7 Old 05-13-2006, 10:13 PM

make signs with arrows, price cheap, an add in the paper helps to. good luck
#6 of 7 Old 05-13-2006, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabi Sabi
... dropped off at Goodwill! (Then again, if you're not too concerned about making some extra cash, that just might be the easiest solution from the very beginning, LOL)
HAHA... it won't all fit into the little SUV we have - it would take 3 trips and goodwill is ALL the way across town from us. hence the garage sale

#7 of 7 Old 05-14-2006, 08:48 AM

We had a "multi-family" sale in my yard last year and the best decisions were the big party-like tent (which saved us when it rained the second day) and the hilarious signage my friend, G, made ("Own the Mona Lisa Duck! Ask us how!").

Putting your biggest/best items near the curb is a good suggestion.

At the end, we packed up everything that didn't sell (or get traded among the participating families) and took it to the thrift store.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page