Purging Toys? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-15-2006, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, our garage sale is Saturday and I'm purging like mad! I've gotten rid of all the toys that aren't regularly played with and won't be missed. Feelin' pretty good.

The problem is they still have WAY too many toys!!! We're moving to a smaller house in July and the kids will be sharing a room so I've got to pare down more. I feel guilty about getting rid of things they do play with but they still have way too much! How often does something need to be played with for it to stay? Does someone have criteria for what stays and doesn't?

For instance DD has a cloth rocking horse that takes up SO MUCH ROOM!!! She does ride on it for about 5 seconds a few times a day but I don't think she'd miss it if it's gone.

DS has SOOOOO many action heroes? What stays? He's got more figurines than 10 boys could play with at once!! But he does play with them a lot! How many does he need?

Thanks for any advice..I feel bad giving things away that they use but how many toys does one kid need??

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#2 of 8 Old 05-15-2006, 03:39 PM

I'm having to do this again right now. We moved, and the room my boys are sharing is rather small(with their bunkbeds taking up about half the bedroom) so..it's time. I've already found a home for the unused kitchen set, and I'm sure the new owner of that would be willng to take some more toys(she's opening a daycare)

As for action figures, which ones does he actually play with? That's where I start. I watch my youngest son play(older son is 10 1/2, he's more interested in outside stuff than toys), and whatever he doesn't play with for awhile finds a new home.
#3 of 8 Old 05-15-2006, 09:01 PM

can the rocking horse go on the patio? how about doing a toy rotation with some in plastic storage boxes then swap them out every couple weeks.
the same for the action heros... get a box/basket and tell ds he can keep as many fit in the box... im so dreading the barbie phase...and currently dealing with hotwheels for ds5...

when all else fails cut to the chase w. the kids and tell them we are goign to have room for xx boxes etc... what do you want, what can go?
#4 of 8 Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 PM

I am in this process right now as well. We are moving in June, and we just had far too many toys.
I have purged as much as I can without getting rid of things they will actually play with for more than a few seconds.
Here is what I plan/have done for the rest.

Each child (I have two) will have their own storage bins in their room. DD has a set of two rolling bins with some pull our colored bins to store items like board books, her favourite baby (with clothes), her build a bear with clothes, playsilks, musical instruments, games, and puzzles.
DS will use another storage rack with little canvas bins to hold his cars, blocks, books, musical instruments...you get the idea.
Anyway, aside from these everyday items that I want left out, everything else has it's own storage bin with lid.
Each little people set, thomas tracks, ponies, dress up clothes, doctor set etc will all be stored in our new garage on a big set of shelves.
Same goes for all of the arts, and crafts things.
I did start out with the intention of purging much more than I did, but honestly I just don't want to get rid of the things they play with often. I don't think you HAVE to get rid of almost everything, as long as you can have a good storage/organisation system.
Good luck!

Julie Married to my sweetheart
Mama to DD (8) DS (7) & DS (1)

#5 of 8 Old 05-15-2006, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1growingsprout
can the rocking horse go on the patio? how about doing a toy rotation with some in plastic storage boxes then swap them out every couple weeks.
the same for the action heros... get a box/basket and tell ds he can keep as many fit in the box... im so dreading the barbie phase...and currently dealing with hotwheels for ds5...

when all else fails cut to the chase w. the kids and tell them we are goign to have room for xx boxes etc... what do you want, what can go?
I bought my son a hot wheels case. It holds 100 hot wheels. They have some that only hold 10 or 20. It has wheels and a handle and is easy to open. It doesn't take up much space. I think that 100 cars is good enough. I fhe wants a new one, he has to get rid of 1 so he has a space for it. It isn't full now...I think about 10 spaces are open. It was $13.00 at walmart.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#6 of 8 Old 05-16-2006, 12:02 PM

My dd inherited my niece's My Little Ponies. I wanted to weed them out at one time, but as we went through them, I realized she played with many of them and some were special for a paticular reason. I think, with a collection like that (and the action figures), you need their input so you don't give away a favorite without knowing it. It's also helpful to just collect a few things. My kids love Playmobil. When my son wanted an Imagimnext set, I discouraged it because we can only collect so much. We already had similar Playmobil figures and the kids really enjoy adding on to that.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#7 of 8 Old 05-16-2006, 09:37 PM

Gosh is this a rude thing to ask? I want to throw parties of course for my child and I made out like a bandit when I was younger with all the gifts I got on my birthdays, but I want to start teaching less consumption at an early age. One poster a while back said something I thought was neat. At Chirstmas time she said her and her family do:

Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear
and
Something to read

My dh and I have been doing this for the past two years and I really like it. Even if the something to read is a gift certificate.
Yet what is an appropriete way to say: No gifts but he could use such and such ( is that pushy/rude?) Or we could use a pass to the park.
What is the correct tactic to follow on this?
#8 of 8 Old 05-16-2006, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanibell
Gosh is this a rude thing to ask? I want to throw parties of course for my child and I made out like a bandit when I was younger with all the gifts I got on my birthdays, but I want to start teaching less consumption at an early age. One poster a while back said something I thought was neat. At Chirstmas time she said her and her family do:

Something you want
Something you need
Something to wear
and
Something to read

My dh and I have been doing this for the past two years and I really like it. Even if the something to read is a gift certificate.
Yet what is an appropriete way to say: No gifts but he could use such and such ( is that pushy/rude?) Or we could use a pass to the park.
What is the correct tactic to follow on this?
We've cut birthday parties back to family only because we just don't need lots of stuff. They get enough as it is!! Also now that DS is older I have no qualms about telling my parents and in laws that we want soccer lessons, zoo memberships etc..

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page