How do you store your kids shoes? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 05-15-2006, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't know what to do about all of dd's tiny little shoes! They are too small for the shoe rack. The only idea I'm getting online are those plastic over the door holders with lotsa pockets. Not sure I like the way the look in a bedroom. Any of you have any great ideas for storing all those little shoes?
Thanks!
#2 of 21 Old 05-15-2006, 08:42 PM

we throw everyone's shoes in a big bucket next to the front door. It's ugly, and kind of hard to find what you want, but it is a simple system, lol.
#3 of 21 Old 05-15-2006, 09:02 PM

Shoes we wear the most (mine and DHs included) go in the bottom of the coat closet by the front door.
The rest of the kids shoes sit on top of their plastic storage drawers inside the bedroom closets. I don't have anything else on the dressers, so the shoes/rainboots/slippers line up nicely, and make it easy to put away, and to see what I'm looking for immediately.

Julie Married to my sweetheart
Mama to DD (8) DS (7) & DS (1)

#4 of 21 Old 05-15-2006, 09:31 PM

I line them up in a row on a shelf in DD's room.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 21 Old 05-15-2006, 09:37 PM

DC's shoes go into baskets I have stationed at the back door and front door. Get a cute basket and it won't look bad at all.
#6 of 21 Old 05-15-2006, 10:34 PM

Each kid has a hanging shoe bag in their closet- these hang from a rod and there are several "shelves" for shoes. Works great, although ds's size 2 shoes are beginning to be too big to fit in the bag.
#7 of 21 Old 05-15-2006, 11:27 PM

Shoes, socks, and hats go in one big basket on a shelf on the changing table. DS doesn't wear shoes, though... but we have plenty of baby shoes people have given us, so that's where they go for now. I think he has worn shoes maybe 3 times, ever.
#8 of 21 Old 05-15-2006, 11:32 PM

dd's shoes go in a big basket by the front door. Dressy/nice shoes go in a bin in her room.
#9 of 21 Old 05-15-2006, 11:39 PM

I bought a cube with a pull out bin from target. It is red and matched the rest of his room. It works great. It hold all of his shoes.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#10 of 21 Old 05-16-2006, 01:10 AM

We have a shoe cubby that we got at Target or somewhere like that. It lives in our laundry room, which is right next to the garage door. This way the kids take their shoes off as soon as they come in the house and put them in the cubby. They put them on again as they're on their way out the door. It works well for us and cuts down on the time spent looking for shoes since they're all supposed to be kept in the same place.
#11 of 21 Old 05-16-2006, 01:19 AM

I use canvas baskets

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#12 of 21 Old 05-16-2006, 03:25 AM

my kids don't have many shoes... 2 each. and dd (18 mos) only wears them if it's too cold to be barefoot! =) he have a shoe area on our floor next to the front (and only) door! =)

transtichel.gifMom of three - (2.5 yrs, 7yrs, and 11yrs). Birthing Doula, editor, and wife to my soulmate. I've had a c/s, hospital VBAC, UC and not yet decided what I'll do about this next little one

#13 of 21 Old 05-16-2006, 11:27 AM

His everyday shoes are in a basket under the bench in our foyer. The rest of his shoes are stored in shoeboxes and stacked on his closet shelf.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#14 of 21 Old 05-16-2006, 11:33 AM

I've found that the easiest thing to do is just to cut down on the number of shoes to begin with.

We keep dd's sneakers and rainboots on a low shelf that's sort of built into the side of the kitchen cabinet as you walk out into the hall.

The dress shoes she rarely wears and the shoe's my mother's given her that are too big are all in a box in her closet.
#15 of 21 Old 05-16-2006, 08:40 PM

I have found some nice patterned fabric---back of the door hanger w/ pockets things at Homegoods. We keep both boys shoes in there--as well as some socks---gloves---so they can help themselves.

We do have a big basket at the front door also---
#16 of 21 Old 05-16-2006, 09:10 PM

We don't have many shoes, but here's what we do. My dd's shoes (she's not walking yet, only wears soft shoes for warmth) go in a basket along with socks in a shelf by the changing table - she only has two pair that fit. My ds's shoes go in the bottom of the linen closet in their bathroom - they each only have 2-3 pair, plus dress shoes which we keep in the closet with the dressy clothes.

For a while we had huge problems losing shoes, so we have a rule that if your shoes are not on your feet they must be in the closet. It works for us.
#17 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 01:14 AM

Our system works fabulously! When we come home we kick our shoes off wherever. When we go to leave we curse ourselves for being so lazy and hunt all over the house for our shoes.

My son has two pairs of Robeez. I haven't seen them actually paired together since I took them out of the package! Okay, you gotta cut us a little slack as we've been moving and in temp housing and moving for the past 6 months, we still have boxes everywhere.

Actually I mostly try to keep them in the front closet. We also don't have many. Today I kicked my shoes off by the door and a few minutes later wanted to go get the mail and went back to put them on to find they were GONE! DD had put them in the closet for me. I think she's really turning into her father now!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#18 of 21 Old 05-17-2006, 08:20 PM

Ds' (6&3) shoes go into a big basket ("the shoe basket") near the front door. They also each have an outdoor-only pair by the back door.

This works well--they take them off, and ususally get them in the basket. Then they know where they are! It also keeps the constant sand spillage from their shoes in the front entry.
#19 of 21 Old 05-19-2006, 10:10 PM

I bought a cheap stacking bin (no lid, that's what it was called at the store) I think it cost me $3, similar to something you would use to organize toys or something. It fits in the bottom of my hall closet and I toss everyone's shoes in there. It works well, everyone knows where their shoes are and it keeps them from all over the house.
#20 of 21 Old 05-20-2006, 12:12 AM

My kids only had 2 pairs of shoes each at most so we just put them in a basket by the front door. We don't wear shoes in the house so a little metal tub or a basket by the door was plenty.

Now the teenage thing has hit, I have a shoe rack outside the front door and all the shoes go there. No room on your shelf - rethink how many shoes you have! No one needs more than 3 pair or so - sneakers, nice shoes for work, sandals. Not in our family anyway. If more is needed (like heels or boots), they go in their bedroom closet.
#21 of 21 Old 05-20-2006, 02:53 PM

My boys have 1 pair of sneakers, 1 pair of sandals, and my eldest has his "chapel shoes" (Christian school, they are required dress every couple of weeks). They are all in a basket by the door - typically we try to put the chapel shoes in the closet on their own so they don't get beat up, but it usually doesn't happen that way.

My daughter just has the one pair of Robeez (plain white, I don't like the prints SR carries) right now, and those are typically just put in the diaper bag.

Aisling

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page