Unbelievable - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2006, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the crap I hold on too.

I found a box in the basement. I had moved it recently and was putting it away so I took a look inside.

It contained:
a Fisher-Price shape shorter (all pieces there)
a Fisher-Price stacking ring (all pieces there)
parts of another Fisher Price stacking ring
a broken Fisher-Price shape shorter
one children's book

legos, a baby teether, a puzzle piece, crayons and the like

I took everything out, threw out the obvious trash, washed the toys (they were dirty from being in the basement) then put everything but one shape sorter in a bag for Goodwill.

I put the shapes from the broken shape sorter in the Goodwll bag.

I had been keeping the pieces of the stacking rings until I found the other pieces (I know I won't-some were buried in the backyard). I was keeping it all so I could send the whole box.

Yes, I was crazy.

I am keeping the one shape sorted because my husband is very sentimental about old toys.

Now instead of a box of crap, I have one nice baby toy.

I'm not ready to let it go right now. Maybe someday I will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2006, 12:08 AM

That is great. I always find it difficult to throw things like that away. But that was like a little hidden treasure in your basement, how nice.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:20 AM

Today I found a picnic basket we got for a wedding present that hasn't been opened in 6 years. Maybe I should put it in the garage sale on Sat..Ugh..We do hold on to wierd stuff huh?

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 05-19-2006, 11:52 AM

I just got rid of a bunch of clothes I had since HS a couple of weeks ago. I graduated almost 15 years ago, so do the math.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm deperatly trying nto to stash to many things away, especially baby things.

My mum has saved pretty much everythting we had, in some ways useful for me as we've inherited several bags of baby stuff (cloth nappies, sleep suits etc). What really made me laugh though was the half used packet of disposable nappies, newborn size. My youngest brother is 15
Old 05-19-2006, 05:32 PM

I am really bad about this too- especially with clothes.

In fact, I am doing really well with decluttering the house.... BUT.... I still have a 12x12 storage unit that we pay $122/month for that I need to clean-out and downsize. UGH.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:02 PM

I can relate. With no more children planned there is absolutely no reason for me to keep baby clothes in this tiny apartment with no storage space but it's such an emotionally difficult thing for me to get rid of them!

My mother kept about 5 toys from my toddler years and my dd thoroughly enjoys playing with them now (lead paint and all, I am sure ) so I think it's nice to keep some things like the shape sorter, if you have the space.

flowersforyou.gif

Old 05-20-2006, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attila the Honey
I can relate. With no more children planned there is absolutely no reason for me to keep baby clothes in this tiny apartment with no storage space but it's such an emotionally difficult thing for me to get rid of them!

My mother kept about 5 toys from my toddler years and my dd thoroughly enjoys playing with them now (lead paint and all, I am sure ) so I think it's nice to keep some things like the shape sorter, if you have the space.
Now that I'm decluttering I do have the space. I've got rid of quite a bit though. I know I'm going to keep some stuff for a while yet-unless the kids want to sell it on Ebay

Before I started decluttering (this is embarassing to admit) I had bins and boxes of stuff everywhere. All the pieces were mixed up and it was impossilbe to sort them because there was no room to put the stuff that was sorted out.

I'm happy to report it's much better now. Thank Goodness.

I'm afraid if I give away the baby clothes I'll get pregant I guess I could afford to get rid of the crib though-since I never used it for the last 2 kids.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:48 PM

I too have been trying hard to declutter, and clear out the old unused stuff as well. We moved last May and I thought I sorted, pitched, and donated alot of stuff. Since then I've steadily been thinning down, and realized that last May I only touched the tip of the ice berg! I do like the more open feeling as we have thinned out stuff. And yes I have found some odd things that I've stashed away over the years.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:31 PM

I got rid of 2 bags of clothes, books, etc today. I felt so light!!

When I see my sis, I'll get rid of a lot of baby clothes. Even cooler, I got rid of some baby toys that a friend lent to us. It was great to be able to give them back when done with them; now she's wondering where to put them.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz
Today I found a picnic basket we got for a wedding present that hasn't been opened in 6 years. Maybe I should put it in the garage sale on Sat..Ugh..We do hold on to wierd stuff huh?
I don't feel alone. I found the same thing also up in our attic. Ours even had a bottle of wine still in it. Oops!

User Tag List