Garage Sale Pricing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-19-2006, 09:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're having a garage sale and I'm not putting prices on anything but I don't know how much to tell people things are when they ask..Here's a list of what I have:

Women's Clothing

Big men's Clothing

Like New Baby Bassinet with 2 sheets

large dog kennel

Children's Books

Adult Books

Toys toys and more toys

Home items like vases, picture frams, candlesticks etc..

Thanks!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2006, 10:13 PM

I'm sorry I can't help with the pricing much but I'm reading your post thinking, "Gee, I wish I could go to her yardsale!":
Old 05-19-2006, 11:03 PM

Books $1 or less per item, if they are hardcover and in good shape $1.50-2.xx each
Clothing, pretty much the same
furniture, baby gear you can ask I think the rule is 25%-50% of the retail price depending on age and condition

House items, a few dollars each depending on condition

Toys try and group them together and sell by the boxful, I had a bunch of imaginext sets and put them in one box for $10, it sold. If you have a bunch of one item do it that way and you can get more. Individual items, depending on what it is a few dollars each to a few cents.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:06 PM

I personally prefer to price things, so I'm not put on teh spot. Is your goal to get as much as you can for the items or get rid of as many items as possible? Consider that when pricing - do you really care if you don't get as much as you might be able to ideally as long as most of the stuff is gone at the end of the day - then price it lower.

Here is how I would price it - others can give you their opinion.

Women's Clothing & Big Men's Clothing - $1-2 an item

Like New Baby Bassinet with 2 sheets - 1/4 to 1/2 of original value I would guess

large dog kennel - $5-10

Children's Books - $0.25-$2 each depending on condition / size / hardcover/softcover

Adult Books - $0.25 paperbacks $1 hardcovers

Toys toys and more toys - $1 - 5 each generally unless something really expensive or high quality.

Home items like vases, picture frams, candlesticks etc..
$0.25 to $2 each - these are so common at yard sales its honestly difficult to get rid of.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
Old 05-19-2006, 11:13 PM

I highly suggest pricing items, even if it's just by making a few huge signs for common items. The reason people go to garage sales (and I am a pro, honey) is because we want a bargain. A cheap price tag will get us to pick up an item. Making customers ask will hinder sales, and grow tiresome for you.

My pricing rule of thumb is that the item should go for 10% of what it would have been new. Or less. Price clothes $1.00 an item or less and you'll move them. Books, I buy them if they are $1.00 for hardback, .50 for paperback.

Remember, folks get out of bed at 6:30 on a Saturday morning and drive all over town because they expect a bargain. And your main goal is decluttering, right?

Good luck. Now I'm off to find my addresses for tomorrow . . . .

User Tag List