Let's get it clean it 20 minutes! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-21-2006, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, companys coming! I need to clean up around here.

Here is a very small (1000' sq ft home)with 3 teens, me and dh, 2 cats, 100lb dog) and oldest dd and her BF are coming to visit! Her bf has been here once before, but I'd just had surgery, so things were a bit.......cluttered.

So, I'm spending 20 minutes a day getting things cleaned up. Today I cleaned up under the puter, and beside the chair. Yesterday it was a corner of the kitchen(shelves), the day before a good chunk of my room.

The rules are simple. Bedmaking, dishwashing, sweeping, etc, don't count. Only things that you wouldn't normally do in the course of the day, that will still look better than they do now in a few weeks. (so doing laundry only counts if you are going to whittle the pile from room-sized to hamper-sized. Mowing the lawn only counts if it's waist high!)

Organizing rooms, washing walls, planting flowers, moving furniture, xleaning clos+ets, are all great!

Wanna play? Ok, Monda, I'm going to...........try to think of ways to make my bathroom less of a pit!

What are you doing?
#2 of 12 Old 05-21-2006, 01:15 AM

I need to get my butt to work too. My fil and his wife will be here on Friday,havent seen them in 3 years...
#3 of 12 Old 05-21-2006, 03:24 PM

That's a really good idea!
I think I'm drawn to that for the fact that it's so do-able. With a time limit, it's not overwhelming, and you can probably get a good chunk of de-cluttering done in 20 minutes... I'm going to do it today!
#4 of 12 Old 05-21-2006, 09:25 PM

I'm in.

Mom to Eoin (11/02), Eilis (09/04), Eamon (07/07), and Ellery (04/10)
#5 of 12 Old 05-21-2006, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter
Red

Ahhh, compadres!

Ok, so each day come back and tell us what you've done. And a little reward doesn't hurt either. Extra puter time, a cup of cocoa, a few minutes of reading time.

Today, my son called and said he was coming to cisit with his GF. OH-OH! I ran about, washed the bathroom floor (VERY rare!), cleaned off some of the kitchen counter, and polished a fw peices of furniture, along with just picking up and putting away a ton of stuff that needed to be cleaned up! I worked for about an hour, but I didn't mind, cause I took a long, hot shower afterwards and we had an easy dinner after they'd left.
#6 of 12 Old 05-21-2006, 10:32 PM

In 20 minutes, I had time to tidy up the overwhelming paper/book mess that exists around my computer, desk, and book shelf area.
I was actually done in about 15 minutes... then with the extra time I swept up the floor and lit a candle. It definitely felt good.
#7 of 12 Old 05-21-2006, 10:46 PM

Great idea! I'm in! We're getting ready to sell our house so I definately need to keep tidy. I really am excited to see what I can do in 20minutes!
Chrissy

Spiral Chrissy, loving my life treehugger.gifread.gifhippie.gif, Mama to DS bouncy.gif (8/6/03), wife to DH guitar.gif, and hoping for another little bean dust.gifnamaste.gif
#8 of 12 Old 05-25-2006, 10:37 PM

In 20 min, I cleaned up around my computer desk and threw out old papers and recycled catalogs. I cleaned up toys.
#9 of 12 Old 05-26-2006, 11:50 AM

This is my kind of cleaning challenge. I'll let you know what I do this weekend. Heck, I might even do more than one 20-minute session a day.

Bridget. Momma to DD (4), expecting DS - 9/09, wife to SAHD. Gardener, coffee addict, urban dweller.
#10 of 12 Old 05-26-2006, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Red

20 minutes of excess laundry, YK, the stuff at teh bootom of the baskets, unmatched socks, face cloths, that pair of pants no one is claiming, all gone!
#11 of 12 Old 05-27-2006, 01:02 AM

and even though they are not totally done, it's better than doing nothing. I didn't want to do the dishes, but I wanted to be able to make breakfast, more

Are any of you going away for the weekend? Or just cleaning? I'm cleaning out my closets, and catching up on laundry
#12 of 12 Old 05-27-2006, 01:56 PM

20 minutes, huh?
I guess I could try that. It is so very hard for me to do any at all - mostly motivation issues, but then along comes a migraine, or the need to baby my hands because of the tendonitis, etc. etc. and then they are the excuse for doing 0 instead of a little. It's my all or nothing nature out to get me. :-)
Ok <deep breath> 20 minutes...I'm in. And while this isn't cleaning. I will use the motivation to get off my tush and away from the computer while dd is napping to go get a batch of bread in the oven. (we have food allergies, and if I don't make it, we don't have any).
Thanks for the virtual shove!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page