Storing with Plastic - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-21-2006, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw something similar to this at Target yesterday:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B000CEG8TQ

And I can't really afford Cedar Chests so something like this plastic tub storage bin is my only realy option.

My question is: Is there a way to prevent things from getting yellowed, musty smelling when stored in plastic? Does it even GET that way when stored in plastic?

All my kids clothes were stored in cardboard boxes and it all went to h&ll by the time mom gave it to me for MY kidlet (19 years later ) And I'm just looking for storage for seasonal clothes, kid-let clothes as they grow out of them (eventually I might be able to let them go... ), and seasonal holiday decor and such.

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#2 of 15 Old 05-21-2006, 09:55 AM

I haven't had anything get musty smelling. The only things that yellowed were things that had stained, even if I thought the stain was out, if there was just an iota of something still left in there, it yellowed.
#3 of 15 Old 05-21-2006, 09:55 AM

Yikes! Triple posted!
#4 of 15 Old 05-21-2006, 09:56 AM

I haven't had anything get musty smelling. The only things that yellowed were things that had stained, even if I thought the stain was out, if there was just an iota of something still left in there, it yellowed.
#5 of 15 Old 05-21-2006, 10:14 AM

Yah, anything left on the clothing (stains, a bit of bmilk, etc) even though it "looks clean" will come out as it sits. Forumula is the worst offender, the oil in there is YUCK and makes huge yellow stains on things in a very short time, even in good conditions.

IF you can control the climate of storage, say, in a spare room instead of the attic/basement/garage, you will reduce the heat/cold exposure and they will be less likely to yellow. Our basement stays about 70 all summer, and 60 all winter, so it's prime storage space. Our attic is about 30 in winter, and over 100 in summer, BAD place to keep things.

I use the cheap boxes at Target that are clear w/solid lids. I write on the outside what's in there (0-3, 3-6, 6-12m, etc). I had rubbermaid tubs too, but they felt funny to me, stickyish. Although if there is risk of water damage, the rubbermaid ones are designed to keep wet out better than the cheaper ones.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#6 of 15 Old 05-21-2006, 11:27 AM

We generally use the Sterlite containers (clear with a solid white lid) you get at Target. I've never had anything come out musty, but we've never stored stuff in a damp place either. I do find that after clothes are in there a few months they take on a plasticy smell - so they definitely need to be washed. However, it comes out fine in the wash. For me the waterproofness of them is a big bonus.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#7 of 15 Old 05-23-2006, 02:00 AM

I use the sterlite stuff as well. I have several under each bed. I never noticed a smell or staining problem.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#8 of 15 Old 05-23-2006, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

So have any of you found plastic storage (like Sterlite) that is LONG enough to store wrapping paper? I have about 8 tubes that I've been using for the past 3 years (yes it takes us that long to use it) and It's getting REALLY beat up, I was curious if you guy did like Xmas boxes, Easter boxes, halloween boxes? And how big are the tubs for you guys? I mean I've got a LOT of Christmas decor but I want to keep it with the wrapping paper... do they have tubs that could accommadate my wishful thinking? I'm really a beginner at this declutter/learn to store/organize so I love hearing what you guys have to say!!

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#9 of 15 Old 05-23-2006, 05:24 AM

I heard of people storing wrapping paper in old nylons (stockings?) what are they called? One roll per leg and hang it in the closet
#10 of 15 Old 05-23-2006, 08:17 AM

I do have bins for the different holidays too. I don't have a wrapping paper one (I have them under my bed), but I've seen thos containers.
#11 of 15 Old 05-23-2006, 01:53 PM

I'm in the process of organising holiday things. So far I have a bin for Halloween, one for Easter, one for Fall, and a ton of Christmas stuff to sort into individual bins.
I have seen the wrapping paper bins that has the storage in the lid for ribbons/tags/bows etc.

Julie Married to my sweetheart
Mama to DD (8) DS (7) & DS (1)

#12 of 15 Old 05-23-2006, 02:02 PM

That's how I do it for my holidays..... I even color code them
#13 of 15 Old 05-23-2006, 03:13 PM

I have to store my clothes in plastic tubs also. We don't have big enough closet space so I have to switch out summer and winter clothes. I haven't notice a problem yet. I do wash all the clothes before and after storage. I have been doing this for about 5 years.

But would like to know if other people have had problems and how they fixed them.
#14 of 15 Old 05-23-2006, 03:39 PM

We keep wrappiing paper in the under-bed boxes that are clear with wheels on one end and the lid hinges in the middle. Way longer than the long rolls of wrap. I have a sweater box? (same height, but 1/2 as long) that all the bows and tissue and a pair of scissors and a roll of tape go in. Only one box for ALL the wrap.

I just write on the box what holiday it is, we have 3 tubs for halloween (my favorite) and 3 for xmas (2 ornament ones w/dividers, one with stockings, tree skirt, etc then and a BIG one with the fake garland and lights), fall stuff goes in with the halloween stuff (uh I don't own any t'giving decorations, but I do have a pretty fall wreath), and all the spring/summer goes in one box.

I do make a point of purging things I don't like each holiday, as well as broken ornaments, etc. so we don't overgrow the boxes.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#15 of 15 Old 05-25-2006, 10:34 PM

Wow, you guys sound more organized than, um, I am.

My wrapping paper is all in a cubby hole downstairs sort of jam packed together. I won't buy xmas decorations (too complicated) and I'll use any color paper for xmas just to make life easier. Sometimes I use the Sunday comics.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page